Author Topic: How To Get Rid Of Cattails??  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Karla

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How To Get Rid Of Cattails??
« on: July 08, 2009, 06:02:19 PM »
A friend of mine has a farm pond with fish in it and they have a little paddle boat they ride around in, but the cattails have pretty much taken the whole thing over, so I told her I'd ask on here to see if anyone has a remedy for this?

Thank you!

Karla

Offline aravenschild

• Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How To Get Rid Of Cattails??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:53:32 PM »
My ex-brother-in-law spent the summer digging cattails out of a farm pond with a shovel and pick....

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:58:19 PM »
Steep sides instead of sloped ones (from run off of topsoil into a farm pond) will usually do the trick.  Most people don't have the equipment or the money to hire a digger.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 07:09:35 PM »
Dig them all up and send to me. :( I can't seem to keep regular cattails growing but miniatures are doing well. :) I have two right now that haven't died yet. I said,"yet." :(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:12:17 PM »
I have been told by the old timers around home to cut them off under the water line and they won't come back...I haven't tried this.  All mine died out on their own.

Offline cricket67

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:21:42 PM »
I have them growing wild in my ditch...when u cut them down they grow back even more.....after the hurricane here the city went around to re dig  all the ditches for everyone to have better drainage and now i have even more cattails in my ditch... >:(-

Offline Karla

• Members
  • With us since: 16/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »
That's what we've heard, Cricket!  So sorry about your problems with them!

Sue, that is what someone told her, and that sounds like the easiest way to do it!

Thank you everyone for all your help though....it's really appreciated, and Carol thanks you, too!

Karla

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:36:37 PM »
About the only way to get rid of them short of draining the pond is chemically.  Lots of options this way:

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/database/emergent_plants/cattail_mgmt.htm

Once established in a natural pond, they are as bad as kudzu!

Long-term, the only way to keep them out is by having a deeper pond, with steep slopes as Kittyzee said in her post; they will not grow in water much over 2-3 feet in depth.

Steve

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »
  Cattails have to breath air for the root to survive.  In winter the root breaths through the old dead stem from last years growth. if you cut the old stalk below waterline in fall or winter the root will drown.
  For people who live farther north than Louisiana you can lower your water level a ft or less during the winter. When the pond freezes walk out on the ice and break off the dried stalks by kicking them, or use a lawn mower.
  Then raise the water level and the cattails will drown. the only ones that might survive would be at shoreline above ice level.   But a good deep freeze should kill most of them too.
  until I got a good stand of native spike rush and all kinds of other native water loving plants growing in the shallow water I was constantly puling up cattail seedlings in my new pond from seeds that are always blowing in. Now I NEVER have cattails start from seed.  Cattails seeds are airborne and must land on or float to wet LAND to sprout and grow successfully.  They don't sink in water and grow under water till they reach the surface like lilies do. They MUST start on wet land and grow out into the water.
   My dence spike rush prevents floating cattail seeds from reaching shore year round. Therefor no cattail seedlings and no cattails, except the few I have planted and keep under controll by pulling.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"