Author Topic: Craig's list is great, but ths scams are endless  (Read 937 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Craig's list is great, but ths scams are endless
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:25:39 AM »
Just got this in my email:Hello,
       I really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider it sold,pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid disturbance,anyways I don't have time to come over to take a look because of my Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the shipment,I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a mover(a private shipping company who will be at your door step)for the pick up,hence I'll be paying you through a check and it will be delivered to you via United Parcel Service or FedEx,so I'll need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.

1.full name on the check.
2.Full Physical address to post the check
3.City, State and Zip Code
4.Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note; that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as you have cashed the check

N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box addresses..

Thanks

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Craig's list is great, but ths scams are endless
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:36:58 AM »
I was surprised to see crooks using Craig's List, too, Jerry.  I posted some things a month or so ago, and am still getting e-mails from people trying to sell me one goofy thing or another (quick weight loss, get rich quick while sitting at home, etc.).

Another one is ClassMate.com, which keeps sending me messages like: 

Remember Mark Spravale? 
 Newest Class of ’74 Alum 

Uh... no, I don't remember him.

or

So-and-So just signed your book....

Then I'm supposed to pay some money in order to see who this person is.  And if I want to communicate with him, I have to pay more money. 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »
 yeah Julles.  I am ready to dump Classmates.  I hear from Old Ladies (my age) looking for a husband.
One local one sends me so much nonsense  it is a pain.  Id like to ask her to stop without wounding her ego. >:(-
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:06:45 AM »
Craig's List is worse for scams than eBay. They are endless. People are being robbed after people coming to their homes, women have been raped, not to mention all the scams with fake money orders, fake checks etc. I'm worried about my neighbor, he just sold a car there and it was a lot of money, I sure hope he got a bank check and cleared it with his bank before letting the guy have the car. It was $20,000.00.

Classmates.com sucks. I have planned my last two high school reunions and it is not worth paying for even if you are the planner. Most people list themselves then never check back or change ISPs and Classmates spams you with so much stuff that you miss real messages. I can see their names listed but can't contact them. So frustrating.
You can logon and change your settings so that you get fewer emails but you can't totally eliminate them.

IF you have any real interest in your high school reunions, Facebook is being used heavily by alumni groups and reunion planners because it is all free. Class Report.org is also an excellent tool. I maintain a website for my class there and just love it. There are behind the scenes database tools and I will be able to print memory books, photo name tags etc.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"