Author Topic: Mollies jumping upstream - more pics added  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Mollies jumping upstream - more pics added
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
Today I was washing off the rocks of the waterfall and got these pictures.  It's not much of a waterfall, the water just runs through some small pools from behind the wall and down the rocks into the pond.  I guess I washed some tasty treats off the rocks as suddenly there was a gang of Mollies and to my surprise they started jumping up the little rapids into the small pools above.  I saw one get all the way up where the water comes out from the wall, near the bougainvillea flower in the picture.  When they are ready to go back, it's like Mr Toad's Wild Ride as they slip and slide all the way to the bottom.  Clever fish. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Mollies jumping upstream
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »
That is so cool, maybe there's some salmon in 'em!   lol 

But my goldfish love when I add hose water, they play in the stream.  And when the water level reaches the rocks where they normally can't get to (there is gooey string algae hanging from those rocks) I hear LOUD sucking noises--they are feasting on that tasty treat!   :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »
that is so cool......are they in with the koi and goldfish or is it just mollies?? love the pics.... lorraine
lorraine

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 05:34:46 PM »
Only tropicals, no koi or goldfish.  There are Mollies, Guppies, a couple Plecos and 9 Angel Fish.    I've heard that cold water fish don't do as well here in the tropics, that they are subject to more disease.  There are koi here for sure, in all the fish stores and I've seen some large ones in private and public ponds.  I just decided to stick with the tropicals.  The outside pond is mainly a water garden and I wanted lots of small schooling and colorful fish to keep the mosquitoes down.   I have that, there's at least a thousand small fish in there.  I'm giving them away when I can and I've increased the number of Angel fish as they are predators and eat the fry of the smaller fish.   I also didn't want to attract any other predators, birds, possums or coatamundi.  I have 3 big dogs and 10' rock walls but the dogs sleep sometimes and I just didn't want to get attached to large fish and then lose them.   The inside pond is where I want larger fish.  I thought about koi for that one but decided to get medium sized cichlids instead, I have about 10 small ones in there now, Convicts, Lemons, Firemouth, Jack Dempsey and I'm not sure of the names of the others.  They are only a few inches long now but should get to about 6" eventually. 

Here's one of the Plecos cleaning a rock today.

and one of the flame guppies to the right of the lily in this pic, the others are Marble Mollies and Pearl Sailfin Mollies.

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 05:50:16 PM »
I love reading about your pond! It is so different from anything I've seen. I have had Angelfish and Mollies here in New England, but in an aquarium. Your pond seems so nice. How's that gorgeous indoor one doing? Keeping that kitty, Tita, I think occupied?

Offline PHYLAL

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 07:45:39 AM »
Thank you for sharing that lovely event.  What I could see of your pond was lovely, and your listing of the fish you have made me quite jealous.  Do not get me wrong, I love my pond, my goldfish and my koi, but WOW!  I had aquariums most of my life prior to this pond, so I had many of the fish you spoke of.  To keep them in an outdoor pond would be pure heaven to me, but here in Pennsylvania…..

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 09:44:11 AM »
It is interesting to have aquarium fish outside in a pond, Mollies are from this area as are many of the Cichlids I bought.  So, they do OK with the alkaline water and the temps are good for them.  It just seemed to make sense to use the fish that are adapted for this climate rather than ones that prefer colder more acidic water.    I have to admit that I did want to try and bring a few of my Wakin from the pond in Calif, I haven't been back though and it was probably not a great idea anyway.   I also miss the long flowing tails of the butterfly koi up there. I'm not a big fan of the short fin koi, they look stubby and chunky to me.  There is room for a few koi in the hall pond, I didn't like the idea of them in that long narrow space though.   It would be great for viewing them but I thought they would be like caged tigers, pacing back and forth. 

Here's a pic of whole outside pond, I'll start a thread on the hall pond.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 10:22:20 AM »
 @O@
Seems so freaking cool, and seems like the hyacinths are doing better than the other ones.
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 10:50:24 AM »
Great pics of them acting happy, LOL.  Your pond & plants are filling in quite nicely  O0 O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Mollies jumping upstream - new pics
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 11:24:48 AM »
yes, the hyacinth and the accordian plants are doing better this time.  I think perhaps the PH is dropping a little as the concrete cures and that might be part of the reason. 

I'm really happy with the things that are doing well.  I still have some that are struggling but I'm beginning to find out what will work.  It's a whole different world down here than up in the desert of Calif.   I've had to grow a different green thumb. 

The hyacinth are even blooming! 

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Mollies jumping upstream - more pics added
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Are they really how cool is that, I've always loved hyacinths.
Whose are these ones from?

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 08:31:15 PM »
Some are from Robie and some from the Hacienda pond in the country, I don't know which ones bloomed.  Robie's accordian is doing well also, another first.   

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »
You have a wonderful and unique pond compared to ones in Pennsylvania. Thanks for sharing. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
I got hyacinths from my grandma that got them at monterrey and I truyly hope they will stay alive the whole year round I will even try to protect some of 'em inside the house let's see how it turns out.
BTW love your water lilie, haven't them had any babies to send north mexico?   {:-P;;
One wonders.....

Offline robie

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 11:03:38 AM »
wwwoooowww your hyciant , is in flower ,
in my pond never had a flower  :'( :'(
 :o :o :o
i love my turtle and pond ¡¡¡

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 01:29:42 PM »
They haven't flowered since last week, I think the fish are stripping their roots and that might be part of their problem. 

As soon as I think the water lilies are strong enough and have put out pups I will divide them.  Some for Robie and some to send north to Howell.  Have you guys tried Estafeta?  I know you tried Merkalink and the delivery was late. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »
It must be quite the sight to see the mollies dash about in a large school.  Your pond is looking amazing with all the lush greenery and the lilies are gorgeous.  Really jealous of such beauty!

Offline robie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »

As soon as I think the water lilies are strong enough and have put out pups I will divide them.  Some for Robie and some to send north to Howell.  Have you guys tried Estafeta?  I know you tried Merkalink and the delivery was late. 
{:-P;; {:-P;; some for robie   @O@ @O@ @O@

i send howell a box by multipack ¡¡¡ is a company that acept send live plants ¡¡¡
estafeta , dhl. etc,  dont acept send  live plants ,

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »
Bummer.   I wonder if they really check???

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »

I really think they do not check they might be just too lazy to do it.(That is why we call it mexico)hahaha JK.
Jonna why robie?
You met me first hahahaha just kidding.
You can even give them to robie and he may sent me those, hahaha poor robie will be like yeah sure.
Robie is a good guy, and he says he is planning to have a get together soon with all the thousands or maybe million ponders from merida.
Seems like the forums around the world are fill with them and we can never seem to get rid of them. lol lol lol

And Jonna thanks for telling robie you think I am a wise young men.
You are just awesome you have no idea I truly aprecciate -however it is spelled haha-you so freaking much.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 07:28:50 PM »

{:-P;; {:-P;; some for robie   @O@ @O@ @O@

i send howell a box by multipack ¡¡¡ is a company that acept send live plants ¡¡¡
estafeta , dhl. etc,  dont acept send  live plants ,

Nope robie tried multipack but he sent them to monclova and we guess that is when everything went wrong so he did it again and he even had the montezuma revenge upon this multipackers and yeah everything went really good the second time it got here before 24 hours and all the plants were lushy and purty. o(:-)

Offline robie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »

I really think they do not check they might be just too lazy to do it.(That is why we call it mexico)hahaha JK.
Jonna why robie?
You can even give them to robie and he may sent me those, hahaha poor robie will be like yeah sure.
Robie is a good guy, and he says he is planning to have a get together soon with all the thousands or maybe million ponders from merida.
Seems like the forums around the world are fill with them and we can never seem to get rid of them. lol lol lol

You are just awesome you have no idea I truly aprecciate -however it is spelled haha-you so freaking much.
i m sure they dont check ¡¡¡
why robie first?? cause is older ¡¡¡ jajajaja  lol lol  or i m closer ¡¡¡

jonna if you want i send the waterlili  to howell . no problem ¡¡¡  i send many plants ¡¡¡ to many places ¡¡¡

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 05:18:46 PM »

Jonna why robie?

i m sure they dont check ¡¡¡
why robie first?? cause is older ¡¡¡ jajajaja  lol lol  or i m closer ¡¡¡

jonna if you want i send the waterlili  to howell . no problem ¡¡¡  i send many plants ¡¡¡ to many places ¡¡¡

Hahaha you cheat-er, just because you are closer, C'mon.
Yeah that seems like a good idea to me still..

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"