Author Topic: Help!!! with string algea  (Read 1008 times)

Offline cricket67

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Help!!! with string algea
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:16:03 PM »
I need help on, How to get rid of string algea?? I been looking and i can't really find anything...I have read if u have string algea u have green water...My water is clear...I have this hair looking algea....I can take hand full of this stuff out my pond every day....The bad thing is i can't do this everyday could of the hours i work....I only have a 200 gallon perform pond....Will it hurt the plants if i pull all the plants out of my pond and do a clean sweep of the pond with a brush to get all this string algea out?? And rise the plants off to try and wash off this algea?? Can this string algea kill my plants if it get to thick?? Please help me...THANKS

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!! with string algea
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:16:24 AM »
Actually it's the other way around. If you have string algae you have a clear pond. (at least that's the way it is in my pond). SA eats the same nutrients the single cell algae eats and chokes it out.

I have SA going now too, it is a mess. Pulling plants out and cleaning won't do any good. It will come right back.

You can try more water changes, that will help and using Koi Clay. Other than that as far as I know it just has to run it's course.

GOOD LUCK!

Offline PHYLAL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:18:01 AM »
Pa Nancy is correct, at least in my experience.  When I have string algae the water is crystal clear.  If there is a way to keep this stuff from blooming, I have not heard of it.  In my experience it happens in the spring and early summer, before the rest of the plants have had a chance to explode, and suck up all the nutrients.  Once I have established a lot of plants, the string algae disappears. 

There are things that may help, such as Barley Straw, or perhaps, as Pa Nancy suggested, Koi Clay (I have never tied it).  Water changes may help, but excessive changes can exacerbate the problem (depends on your water), continue your normal routine with water changes.  Sunlight + nutrients = algae.  If you pond receives excessive sunlight you might try an artifical shade barrier of some type.  Watch you feeding practices.  Overfeeding is a problem, both if there is food left in the pond and the fact that overfeeding causes excessive fecal matter in the pond.  Either are an unnecessary source of nutrients for the algae.  The digestive system of a goldfish is like a tube, the more you put in the one end, the more comes out the other, even before it is fully digested.  Not a good idea to feed the algae instead of the fish.

Actually, although it is not very attractive, I like it in the pond in the spring.  I never allow it to take over, but a mat here and there is not a problem.  It is used by the fish for cover until the other floating plants provide it for them.  It makes a good spawning mat for the fish and it is a source of food for the fish, particularly the tiny fry.

Offline cricket67

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:25:58 PM »
Thanks for the info....I do have alot of plants in my pond...And yes i do have fish in the pond also....Which we don't feed the fish every day...I tell hubby the fish has enough of stuff to eat in the pond...I'll try Water changes and see what happens...My plnats are growing really good right now...My water fern is multiplying like crazy....My poor little pond does get alot of sunny light....I have heard about Koi clay but doesn't really know what it is...sooo i have to do some looking around to see what it is....Again thanks for the info... o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"