Author Topic: Question re: Human Nature When Someone's an Idiot Driver  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Question re: Human Nature When Someone's an Idiot Driver
« on: July 29, 2009, 06:54:38 AM »
OK, so I'm bicycling on a residential street Monday, come to a 2-way stop, a car is across the street facing me, and he's made his stop at the stop sign and is ready to cross the intersection.  I make my stop, and then proceed to cross the intersection.

Whooooahhh!!!!  The guy has made a left turn WITH NO SIGNAL, and JUST ALMOST hits me!  He came to within a foot or a foot and a half, I'd say.

Of course, I'm screaming at him to stop! STOP!!, and when he finally does, me being me, my screaming turns into "You stupid idiot, you SOB," etc.  His windows were up, so not sure he heard me.

He flips me the bird.  Yes, he, who failed to use his blinker and failed to yeild, HE flips ME the bird!!

Question:  Later in the day, do you think that guy will realize he was at fault, and almost killed / maimed someone, and hopefully remember to use his signal from now on?

Or do you think he will go on the defensive, and insist that he was right and I was wrong?

I would like to think that people learn from their mistakes, but my experience is that, when the finger points at them, people refuse to see any fault within themselves, but instead blame the other person.

What do you think?

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Question re: Human Nature When Someone's an Idiot Driver
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 07:05:16 AM »
When we drive to town we have to enter the Hwy from a FM road.  I have the stop sign.  I've learned a long time ago, just because someone is giving a signal to turn into the FM road...wait...some don't.  I think it is defensive driving.  Saved by butt a time or two also.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:11:14 AM »
I would like to think that people learn from their mistakes, but my experience is that, when the finger points at them, people refuse to see any fault within themselves, but instead blame the other person.

What do you think?

You are probably right, people develop driving habits and rarely change. I find myself putting on my blinker when I'm the only car on the road at 04:30 A.M. I have to travel through a particulary bad part of town and one of my coworkers was robbed of his wallet at gunpoint while he sat at a red light very early in the morning. When I come to those red lights with blind spot, hedges and such for people to hide behind, I stop, look and then ease through the light. There is no traffic at that hour and I don't care to be faced by a crackhead with a gun.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »
I think he responded to your fear and anger with anger of his own. I don't think this is so unusual. When someone yells at me, even if I deserve it, my inner instinct tends to want to respond in like manner. But hopefully I am mature enough to realize I had it coming and calm down and appologize.

Funny the things that people do, for instance, my mother used to sprain her ankle every once in a while. MY dad instead of sympathizing would yell at her. Why didn't she watch what she was doing? His behavior never made sense to me.

About the driver, I hope that after he proceded on, that he broke into a cold sweat and realized how close he came to hurting you and then ending up being fined or going to jail. Hopefully it made him realize he needs to watch more carefully while he's driving.

But as much as I certainly sympathize with you and see why you'd do a little screaming, think about how many times you have found yourself doing stupid things while driving and still didn't cause an accident. I have had several times in my 50 years of driving where I was looking somewhere else on a curve and started to cross over the center line or go off the road. One time I wasn't paying attention and about rear ended a guy. I swear I was so close when I got stopped, I couldn't see the lower back of the other car. My leg hurt because I slammed on the brake so hard. The screech of my tires scared me too. My hands and arms hurt too from gripping the steering wheel. I was shaking so, I should have pulled off the road and calmed down but there was nowhere to get off right then.

It's a lesson for us all. Sure glad you weren't hurt.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
Julles, your experience was certainly scary, luckily you weren't hurt.  Like Esther said, I think he responded to you with anger of his own.  I certainly understand your reaction, I would have done the same, probably much worse... {:-P;; 

I ride a bike also as well as drive vehicles.  I remember it really doesn't matter who's right, I'd rather not be maimed or dead.  Riding a bike (or motorcycle) you become more aware that people driving cars don't give you the same consideration as if you were driving.  Your soft body parts are exposed and when they hit the car or the pavement won't look the same as if you were driving your car and you lose a little paint or receive a dent, or your airbag deploys. 

He could have been distracted by some personal problem also.  This doesn't excuse him in my book, but he may not have been paying 100% attention, obviously by not using his blinker.  I'm not sure that he will eventually realize he made a mistake.  Most people still think you need to ride a bike on the sidewalk for pete's sake, but that it deserves the same consideration as any other vehicle on the road.  Better to be on the defensive and try to keep your blood pressure from going thru the roof....(now if I could just follow my own advice.....) :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »
Although drivers and bikes share the same rules of the road, many drivers don't give a crap, at least not around here. ::)

We have a great deal of bicycle traffic around here with people riding to and from the bike trails on the desert north of town.
Drivers get very angry with them because they will often ride in "packs" and they will ride 3 or 4 abreast in the lane and
block the lane. They are supposed to move to single file when cars come up behind them but the don't move.
So, drivers get very angry with them. Its not uncommon to hear people griping about the "peddleheads."

I think if you ride a bike you need to put your safety first and never assume or expect that a driver is going to obey traffic laws when it
come to a person on a bicycle. ;)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »
Lucky you weren't hurt.  My brother was in a similar situation a year ago when he was riding home from work.  Only he didn't have a stop signs either way.  The SUV turning left hit him and almost kept driving except that there happened to be many witnesses all around who stopped him.  Another lucky thing is one of the pedestrian witnesses was a physician and he quickly accessed the situation and helped keep my brother comfortable while waiting for an ambulance. 

His injuries weren't bad for flying 50ft and landing on his shoulder.  But he said he remembered to tuck and roll which could have made all the difference.  He tore something and fractured his collarbone.  After much PT he can't raise his arm higher than his shoulder.  Such a shame because he is very athletic and loves tennis.

Do you think the driver of the SUV was sympathetic?  Nope.  He tried to blame the accident on my brother until all the witnesses swat him down.   {nono}

Offline JimMcD in SVAZ

• Members
  • With us since: 06/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »
Unfortunately many drivers still don't "see" bicycles and motorcycles.  As a bicyclist you'll want to advertise your presence with flashing lights, even in daytime.  And you'll want to be on the defensive, day and night.  Yes, you may have the right of way -- yes, you could be dead right.
I'm here on a "Free Membership", the rest of you simply aren't paying to be here.  No, it isn't the same thing.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 08:45:05 PM »
I just don't let stuff like this get to me any more.  :no:

Sure I have had my share of close calls and idiot road rage drivers...but it THEIR problem, not mine.
I don't turn it into my problem, I shrug it off and get on with my life.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 06:46:36 AM »
I ride a motorcycle and look at every vehicle as if they don't see me.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 07:34:08 AM »
I rode a motorcycle for years and just like Bullfrog said:
 Ride like every vehicle doesn't see you.
 In fact once at an intersection, I made eye contact with the
4-wheeled driver and then watched as he turned right in front of me
even though I had the right-of-way.
Somethings never change
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 08:30:19 AM »

I'm finding more & more people are like this & get surprised when I meet someone that isn't.

Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"