Author Topic: Random Pix...  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Random Pix...
« on: July 20, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »
Had to take a sick day today cuz I threw out my back repotting some lilies and other potted garden plants that were already outgrowing their pots.
Not confortable sitting or standing, so have been wandering around taking pix, then sitting, then wandering again, then sitting....(while popping XS Tylenol every 2 hours)
Here are the results...
(some were taken over the weekend too)

See the koi?

Siberian Pink Cups aka Baldellia ranunculoides

Kleims Hardy Gardenia...

2 buds on my Epiphyllum guatamalense Monstrose :clap:

Variegated daylily buds...

3 foot tall and wide Schlumbergera truncata

It's blooming now because I rescued it from a former neighbors house, who died. Was left alone for months while the house was being divvied up amongst family. One family member brought me over all the house plants (after several requests from me cuz I knew what was in the house) a few months back, which I repotted and gave most away to friends and family. Kept this for myself, and it recovered from being crammed into a 6" pot. This is it's thanks for being repotted into a 16" wide and deep pot.  8)

And my cancer fighting edible flowers which I grow from seeds every year for salads and sandwiches. Leaves and flowers are peppery. Flowers are sweet-peppery....variegated nasturtiums...

8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Random Pix...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
Love this randomness.
BTW I've always seem to think the plant leaves in the last pic looks so much like lotus leaves..... :D
Is that just me?
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »
All beautiful!  What color are the flowers on your Epiphyllum guatamalense Monstrose?  I like the curly leaves.
I don't remember a variegated nasturtiums but I like that one.  I love using the leaves and flower for salads and decoration for my dishes.

Hope you feel better soon!  Those lilies better bloom like crazy for all the care you've given them.  ;)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:44:30 PM »
Wow, I love the Epiphyllum and the repotted schlumbergera truncata--plain old 'christmas cactus'?  That is spectacular--I think I may try and repot mine!!  lol  It's looking very pale (even tho' it's outside)...I think it needs a jumpstart.  I am interested too in the color of the flower in the "pot head"   lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 05:52:46 PM »
beautiful! 

What conditions does the Christmas Cactus need outside? I have some cuttings from a friend that doesn't seem to be doing much.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »
That Christmas Cactus has got to be ancient.  Look at the woody stems.  I've never seen one flower at any time other than Christmas though...that's odd.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 12:54:29 PM »
There are different types of Schlumbergera, not all bloom at xmas. Some bloom at easter, some at Thanksgiving.
And most will bloom within a month if you repot them after several years of horrible neglect. (this one did at least 20 years in a 6" pot)  ::)
So it's not really 'odd' that this one is blooming...it's just enjoying it's new digs, and freedom!  @O@
Schlumbergera like bright shade to dappled shade outside. Mine gets a little morning sun but by 10am it's in shade under the porch overhang.
And Schlumbergera do NOT like to dry out. But they don't like it too wet either. Houseplants should be repotted at least every 2 years.

Howell, yep, nasturtium leaves look just like mini lotus pads to me too.

The Epi bloomed last night, didn't download the pix yet because I am at work making up for a sick day.  ::)
Was white with chartreuse undertones, slight vanilla scent.  8) Probably became more fragrant as the night progressed but I was sleeping. ;)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"