Author Topic: Minnow Fish Trap works for goldfish!  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Minnow Fish Trap works for goldfish!
« on: July 24, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »
I have no clue as to why I didn't buy one before, but picked up one of those minnow fish traps of black mesh, coned ends with hole in the center going into the trap, & then you hook the 2 pieces together.  Put some fish food in a mesh bag & hung it in the center.  I've already caught around 50 goldfish sizes 1-2" without standing there sweating like an idiot, LOL.  2 different ponds & left the trap in each pond for about an hour.  YEAH!

So if you've got way too many babies in your pond try one, it's only about $7.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Minnow Fish Trap works for goldfish!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:36:25 PM »
Hey that's cool.   8)
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
I've used DS trap in the past.  I would catch several at a time.  I didn't do the food in a pouch.

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »
It's real easy to make traps out of two liter coke bottles, here are the directions... http://sne.tripod.com/minnows.pdf

You place some bait like cat food inside by unscrewing the lid and the minnows or goldfish will swim in the open end. Being as their eyes are on the side of their head they can't see the opening and line back up to escape. Here's a picture of one completed. You can fuse the two pieces together with a hot icepick and bore a lot of small holes in it as well so the scent drifts out. Tie a string to the neck and retrieve it.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:02:19 PM »
Great tutorial on the fish trap but I'm way too LAZY to put that much effort into it, LOL {:-P;;  Good way to use a soda bottle  O0  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 04:54:41 PM »
Kat sounds like a trap I use for catching crayfish except mine was all metal and, since last summer, now sitting at the bottom of Big Bear Lake.

I like your version Bullfrog!  Will try that when we go back to the lake.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »
Kat sounds like a trap I use for catching crayfish except mine was all metal and, since last summer, now sitting at the bottom of Big Bear Lake.

I like your version Bullfrog!  Will try that when we go back to the lake.

Annette, may I inquire to why it is sitting at the bottom of Big Bear Lake? {:-P;;
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 05:01:57 AM »
Great tutorial on the fish trap but I'm way too LAZY to put that much effort into it, LOL {:-P;;  Good way to use a soda bottle  O0  O0

I was raised so poor I still like to make everything that I can if it's like this, something that won't sit in the living room. If you really like to fish, bait can be hard to come by down here now. even allmost a year after hurricane Ike, all of the bait stores got blown away and you can't buy mud minnows anywhere. But the ditches along the salt marsh are full of them.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
My goldfish must be smarter than yours. I tried both traps and caught two in the first five minutes in the store bought minnow trap, but after that they avoided it like the plague. They would swim all around it, look in the opening, but not enter. I cheched it every day for a week and not one more caught. :'(

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 04:21:22 PM »
Bullfrog- Thanks for the pdf link and pics.  My DH is all excited about "something else he can make".  He too loves to make things out of whatever he can find lying around.  I call him "Leggo Man".  Think we'll try one out the next time we go canoeing.  8) 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"