Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 2158 times)

Offline garden guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Need Advice
« on: July 29, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »
Hi all
A friend and I bought Shubunkins from a local pet store chain a few weeks ago.........now our Goldfish are dieing one by one....2 with me and 3 with her. I have had Goldfish for 3 years and she had them for 10 with out any losses.......any advice or suggestions???
Thank you
Gary o(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »
Sorry you lost your pets. 

You should have quarantined the newbies. The potential for disease problems occurs with every new fish arrival that may have carried and the older fish got sick and died. 

If you have any fish left use a treatment for prevention for bacterial infections.  Plenty out there and I'm sure someone here will have one that works well.

Now if you have to buy from a box store please make sure all the fish in the whole place look great.  No dead ones anywhere.  Then QT them when you get home for a few weeks.  I've done it - no hits please  :ok: - and qt'd every sucker and made sure they got used to my pond water before they mixed in.  they all made it naturally.  We won't go into mistakes I made killing some  :'( :'( :'(

Good luck.

Offline garden guy

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 05:25:03 PM »
Thank you
Is there a brand that you would recommend? I am not familiar with any.
I just bought a Laguna 5000 power pro UV Clarifier ....do you think that will help?? o(

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 05:34:02 PM »
A clarifier is not going to cure your fish. You can try adding salt to start with but without knowing any signs of what is wrong with the fish it is hard to tell you what meds to use. It is one teaspoon of plain salt per gal. of water every 12 hours for 3 doses. But make sure any meds you put in after can be used with salt. And it will harm plants at doses over the first one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »
Tracy is correct.

Try this site to find out what is killing your fish http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/

Offline garden guy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"