Author Topic: water hyacinth  (Read 1755 times)

Offline cricket67

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
water hyacinth
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »
I have extra water  hyacinth if anyone needs some....i cleaned out my little pond...

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: water hyacinth
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »
with the heat they should be going nuts....mine are and the water lettuce also...baton rouge here.... lorraine
lorraine

Offline cricket67

• Members
  • With us since: 12/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:00:59 PM »
Yeah they are....I had only put a couple in my little pond and i took out enough to fill a 20 gallon tub....Houma area here... ;D....we only a few hours away from each other.... o(

Offline yawning fox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/10/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 06:25:09 PM »
Hi Ponders!  This is the first place I've found anything about hyacinth so I'm giving it a go!  I'm a new ponder (and a new AP chatter) trying to figure out what's killing my hyacinth.  I've had my water tested - potassium, PH, nitrate and nitrite are all good.  Other plants including hibiscus, arrowhead, water lettuce and two things i can't remember are all doing well.   I have a problem with string algae but keep it in check cleaning it by out by hand.  Fish (only 7) are thriving. Pond is about 3,000 Gs and I live in Sacramento, California.  Any thoughts?  My only observation is that we did have one night of rain followed by several hot days and that sometimes the hyacinth gets sprinkled when the lawn is being watered - maybe it got burned?  The plants look yellow or brown and dry.  some leaves and the air bubble things are dark brown and squishy.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 07:56:53 PM »
Why not start a new topic in the Pond Chat? I will open a post there for you to ask the experts. Okay?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:30:39 AM »
Wish I could grow them but they don't like it here  :-\. Cricket I have my Salvinia (water fern) that you gave me growing in some water in an empty upstairs room w/ a south facing window and so far so good, they are multiplying..........man those things multiply fast  ;D

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 11:27:01 AM »
That's the same prob I'm having...i was out on vacation, so i figured that it must have been really hot here and they got fried.......
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline yawning fox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/10/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
someone (pondmanin FL?) suggested that I start a new topic, but I can't figure out how!  I've never used a chat room at all.  i couldn't figure out how to respond to the post directly either.  my email is triva.iverson@yahoo.com if anyone has the time and inclination to help me along.     OR - if you can start the new subject "sacramento hyacinth" i'll watch for that and take advice.  we do plan to remove the hyacinth that we have and replace it with plants from the river.  i will quarantine them with permanganate(?) in a wading pool for a couple of weeks (if you agree with that)  I don't mind spending the $$$ for more hyacinth at a pond store, but nobody has more than a few pieces right now.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 01:26:57 PM »
PondmanInFL has already started a topic in pond chat for you called "water  hyacinth "
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Yawning fox, I have you a post over in Pond Chat titled "Water Hyacinths?"

To start your own post anywhere in in AP, just look toward the top right hand side of the main page of each section and click on "New Topic." Be sure to put in a title. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"