Author Topic: Lost my first fish in 7 years  (Read 988 times)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lost my first fish in 7 years
« on: August 05, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »
We had a bad storm last Tuesday night...short version of story...my unfiltered tanks stink, the skippy that I cleaned Sunday smells also.  I haven't been keeping the tanks as clean I should because it has been so hot.   {:-P;;

I found one of my original goldies floating last night  :(  I removed 7 This morning to the QT tank and added more air.  I don't know what is really wrong since both a filtered tank and an unfiltered tank are involved. 

They hadn't been eating as usual but I just thought they were eating fry since the storm.

These fish are skeeter control.  I do not test my water and it is a wonder I haven't killed them all before now.   :(

I have to go get some more declor so I can finish up with the water changes.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lost my first fish in 7 years
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »
That's a bummer Sue.  Nobody likes to lose fish, even if they are for skeeter control.  Earlier in the spring with the temp fluctuations, I thought I was going to lose a few.  They were acting weird, but they straightened up and none of them died.  But 2 days ago, I lost a fish.  It just up and died.  When I pulled it out, I inspected and look for suspicious marks (of the cat claw kind.. ::) ) or disease, but didn't find anything. 

Some things we'll never know the reason for.  I buried it in my flower bed, so it's body can nourish my plants.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 04:26:11 PM »
Well that is darn good............one fish in 7 yrs...............you should be patting yourself on the back  ;D.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 05:05:37 PM »
Were they ever at the top of the water opening their mouths? Kind of gasping for air? If so that will kill them. It can be lack of air or water too nasty. Some of my big koi in one of my water gardens are at the top in the morning by the filter.  The worse time is at night and early morning when the oxygen is low. I had too much leaf cover. So today I added another spout and got in my pond and picked off leaves. I think I have lost 2 fish this summer. The first fish I have lost in years. One jumped out.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 05:16:24 PM »
Too much leaf coverage   {:-P;;...could be a problem.  I'll address that tomorrow.

The water in the filtered tank isn't nasty... {:-P;; in the still tanks...it's another story.  I'm planning on doing total clean outs in the still tanks in the next few days.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »
Losing anything in your pond is sad.  Do you think the water got toooooo HOT?!  I know that is how I lost my skeeter control goldies when I had kiddie pools for my lilies.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 06:32:45 PM »
Goldfish can handle lower oxygen levels than koi or Talapia.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 06:55:01 PM »
Yes but, they still can die from lack of O2 esspecially during a hot dry summer....about the only fish I don't have plenty of either moving water or actual air pumps on is mosquito fish....and too much water coverage can deplete the O2 especially on cloudy days...
lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 07:25:58 PM »
Every now and then, I loose a fish "for no reason."  It hurts, but I've come to understand that it just happens.

Now, what's this about "leaf cover" ??  Are you talking about lily pads, or about tree leaves falling into the pond, or about trees above blocking sunlight fron hitting the pond?  How is this dangerous to fish? 

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 07:50:42 PM »
I had to hunt a place to toss the feed...might be too much lily pad coverage  >:(

It sure makes it harder to keep an eye on your fish   :o

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"