Author Topic: Little baby red eared slider  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Little baby red eared slider
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »
I went out to pond today & there was a little red eared slider in it.

Anyone have one of these show up and stay?

I hope it stays for a while at least. It's so cute.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Little baby red eared slider
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »
 Since it showed up on it's own I figure it's there because it likes it.  Make sure he has a place to climb up a rock or board to sun himself or he will leave.   
         Put some caned salmon bones on the rock and he will find them and drag them to the water and eat them. Meat too.           Call him when you give him food and soon he will come when you call and maybe eat from your hand if he's not to shy.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 02:46:36 PM »
We have them soo thick here this time of year we have to watch where we walk...a few always find their way to the ponds...they stay till fall and then go back to the creek behind the house....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:12:56 AM »
And be sure there's nothing big in the pond that could eat him.

I made the mistake a year ago, of raising a baby seperately until he was what I thought was big enough, and then put him out into the adult turtle pond. 

The next morning, there was nothing left but his shell. 

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »
I found a huge RES misering around the pond plants yesterday...I quickly picked her up and put her back into the creek....sure don't want a big RES hangin around...and getting into the kiddie pools where I grow my plants...they can really reek havoc on plants...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:53:30 PM »
baby ducks, no turtles o(

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
I have 10 Red-eared sliders and one Yellow-bellied slider. I keep mine in a separate pond.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 12:14:52 PM »
Spoke too soon, have 3 RES babies now

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 03:53:52 PM »
Wish I had a turtle, sometimes. We had a little painted for about 6 weeks and he loved to chomp around the edges of the lily pads. He would come to my hand to eat also. But eventually he disappeared, never to be seen again. I'm kinda glad because my lily pads began to look better and I was worried about what to do with him come winter.

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »
Mine has grown so much. It's cool.

I have a little kidney bean preform I think I'm going to try to bring in & keep the turtle in that over the winter. I think it's small enough that I can fill it to the single small plant ledge at one end & use that plant ledge as a basking area.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »
Since it showed up on it's own I figure it's there because it likes it.  Make sure he has a place to climb up a rock or board to sun himself or he will leave.   
         Put some caned salmon bones on the rock and he will find them and drag them to the water and eat them. Meat too.           Call him when you give him food and soon he will come when you call and maybe eat from your hand if he's not to shy.

Would this hold true for a little painted turtle as well? I've got plenty of places for it to bask, but I'm wondering if my overgrown mini pond is just too overgrown for it. Haven't seen it for awhile.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »
I live in the shadow of downtown Houston, a bustling metropolis to be sure.  Yesterday, my neighbor was walking his dogs and came upon a young box turtle, sitting in the vestibule of a townhouse a block away.

He came to get me, 'cause he knows I have turtles.  By the time we got back over there, naturally, the little guy was nowhere to be seen.  We spent a good 20 minutes digging around in the (thick, prickly) bushes, 'til we finally found him.

Am currently trying to find the owners.  If not, I'm not sure I will keep him.  There's the problem of introducing one from outside your herd (what's what they call a group of turtles) because it can introduce germs and such that mine are not imune to. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"