Author Topic: Good Books!  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Good Books!
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:25:36 PM »
Whatcha reading these days?  8)
Right now I am reading Devil Bones by Kathy Reich.
This book series is what started the TV show Bones, my favorite show.
All Kathy's books are really good murder mystery whodunnits.
I read all of Kathy's books, they're so intriguing!  :)

So whatcha reading?  ?)(?
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Good Books!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:33:33 PM »
Can't answer that because you'd get mad at me.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »
I'm reading the same one Esther
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »
Me too..........uh oh I promised to be good..........now look what I've done  {:-P;;

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »
The Mercedes Coffin by Faye Kellerman, I should finish it tonight...

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
I enjoy watching the Bones series.

We read a lot of books by Robert B. Parker.  He does series novels mostly.  Most of his stories are about a ex-cop turned PI by the name of Spencer.

The Jesse Stone movies on TV with Tom Selic is his work. 

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »
I read that one too Greg. Did you like it?
I thought it was kinda dull and never really went anywhere. Especially the ending.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Amy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »
I love to read!! I only read non fiction though, I just finished "Out Of Captivity Surviving 1,967 Days In The Colombia Jungle" a few days ago, it is about American civilians whose plane crashed and were captured by the Colombian ( basically a terrorist group) FARC. The horrid conditions they endured up to their rescue YEARS later! It had my attention from the first page until the last! AND I bore easily with books! I give it 5 stars, a must read! It sure made me take a step back, appreciate my life and freedom and most importantly think about the POW's and MIA's who are still in need of saving, some in this book were Colombian Military who had been in captivity 10+ years!...In everyday life it is easy to get wrapped up in our own problems, we all have them....but there are still those POW's and MIA's who still today need rescued! I now have a greater awareness and respect for those HERO'S we hope are not forgotten by us as Americans and more importantly by our government.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »
Can't answer that because you'd get mad at me.

@O@

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clarke

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 09:49:43 PM »
I just finished reading "Glenn Beck's Common Sense - The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government", as inspired by Thomas Paine's pamphlet of the same name  The fetching one enjoys mysteries and has been reading some Mrs. Murphy Mystery series.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 08:54:32 AM »
I'm a huge Stephen King nut, so I'm currently re-reading a few short stories of his.  I love to read, and unless I'm required to do so, will read almost any book with glee  :)  Something about required reading makes even the best book, well, work.  I also tend to haunt those big sales the have in *sorry* church basements.  Even if I won't read it, I can't stand to see them tossed, so I buy them up and donate to the library.  I hate to see wasted books  o(:-)

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 09:05:45 AM »
I do not like glenn beck...he is the one in the news right?
I love fiction ones Harry Potter is my favorite one ever and forever I may say.
I am so waiting for the last 2 movies to come out..ooppss we were talking about books..
Joyce I did not know the bone's show was taken out of a book...I love to watch that show...
I now may look for it whenever I get the time to go and buy normal books since I just spent my money in all my college books..... :'(
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 10:48:04 AM »
Amy, me too. An amazing tale.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline -Greg-

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 08:32:31 PM »
I read that one too Greg. Did you like it?
I thought it was kinda dull and never really went anywhere. Especially the ending.

I liked the story line, but the ending was unfortunately predictable. Tonight I am starting "Last known Victim" by Erica Spindler...

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 09:39:26 PM »
The Devil's Den by Gracen Miller sounds good.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »
Howell, yup...they used Kathy Reich's book series as the premise for the TV show Bones.  :clap:
This book I'm reading now, Devil Bones, is all about tolerance between different types of people, overcoming prejudice in every evil form it takes.
About not jumping to conclusions. I highly recommend it, and all her books, could be very enlightening to some.  ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Bones-Temperance-Brennan-Novels/dp/0743294386
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:49:22 AM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »
The Secret

Why Does He Do That?
Which is about men who beat, manipulate, or otherwise abuse their women.  It's appropo to the situation my niece has been going through for the last year or so.

The Gift of Fear  Intuitively sensing danger, and predicting violent behavior.  I heard about this book a long time ago, and finally found a copy at Half Price Books.

Practical Intuition  "How to harness the power of your instinct and make it work for you."    Howell could read this book and then go find himself a car.   ;)

And somewhere I have that book about tea... and the Middle East... sounded so interesting.

I'm with books about the way I am with finishing projects... start them, or think about starting them, and never get all the way through them.  Guess I'm on the one-year plan, in regards to reading books.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »
I love to read but don't seem to have as much time for it these days.  This is probably the only cause for disappointment I have in my life.

Just finished Three cups of tea: One man's mission to promote peace... one school at a time by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.  Funny that Julles should have just referred to it in her post.  Excellent non-fiction book about an American who starts off building one school to educate the children in a very remote northern Pakistan village.  He ends up building more than 50 schools and by the end of the book is just getting ready to build a school in a remote tribal area of Afghanistan.  For he and his group to fund a school it must include full schooling for the girls as well as the boys.  He does this to give these children a chance for a better life, one that does not include religious extremism and terrorism.  They feel that educating the girls will mean a better life for woman and children and eventually for the society in which they live.  It is Taliban territory that he works in and much of his work is done following 9/11.  Well worth the read.  Not at all preachy and plenty of adventure for those who like an action story.

Now reading One hundred years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  Nobel Prize winning novel.  Interesting way to tell a story, a parable in a way.  Not far enough into it to provide much of an evaluation but it's looking good.  Character development is excellent.

Your inner fish by Neil Shubin.  Some of you will find it very interesting but it's not for everyone.  It is about physical evolution (not the evolution debate), very readable for the non-scientist.  I highly recommend it.

Three day road by David Boyden and The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill are both excellent books by Canadian authors.  A prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving would definitely go on my list of all time favourites but I think my list is already getting too long so I'll stop.

I will look at some of the suggestions others have made although I rarely read mystery or suspense, not entirely sure why.  Horror is completely out, scares me too much.  :redface:

As I look over these titles and more jump into my head I realize that I do manage to read more than I think I do.  It's just that I always seem to have a large "to read" pile and an even longer wish list.

Happy reading...
emm

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
A really outstanding adventure book, a real nail-biter, all the more dramatic because it's a TRUE story, is below.  And even more poignant to me, because I've sailed on that same ship, and had my hand held as I was helped on board, by some of the very crew members who perished in the storm.

The Ship and the Storm: Hurricane Mitch and the Loss of the Fantome 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In October 1998, one of the most savage storms in Atlantic history cornered a 282-foot passenger sailing ship against an exposed Caribbean coastline. With nowhere to hide and no time to run, the Fantome turned to face Hurricane Mitch's assault of 180 mile-per-hour winds and 50-foot seas. As the eye of the storm approached, Fantome's satellite phone went dead. The ship and its 31 crewmembers simply disappeared, leaving only questions that won't go away.
The Ship and the Storm explores every facet of this tragic story. Was the ship seaworthy? Why did the captain put to sea with the storm approaching? What happened in the eye wall of the worst hurricane in 200 years?

This riveting real-life drama is forensic journalism at its finest, taking us from the deck of the ship, to cruise company headquarters in Miami, to the National Hurricane Center, to the families of the crewmembers. From Jim Carrier's extensive on-site research and hundreds of hours of interviews emerges a story of hubris, courage, and the power of nature.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"