Author Topic: Help with algae  (Read 2525 times)

Offline dsep

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Help with algae
« on: October 05, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »
New to closing the pond down. I had a really bad string algae problem when i opened pond in spring, so I have been using algaeflx  weekly.
It is starting to get cold now and don't know if it will be ok to stop. What do I put in for the winter. Pond is 18x33 and i have a waterfall. I have a bio filter and I thought maybe i cleaned the filter stuff too much? Any suggestions??When  do I stop feeding the fish? They seem pretty hungry still.
Thanks Donna

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Help with algae
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 06:27:29 PM »
Be sure to take advantage of all the other sub forums. They are loaded with information and pictures. But here's a link to a tutorial I wrote a while back talking about what I do with mine. It all may not apply to yours but I would think some would. I'm in Michigan and we have to be close in zones I would think. 
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1019.0

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:36:35 AM »
Alage fix is POISON ! And just a plain waste of money. If too much is used it kills fish. I would rather have the SA. It only grows till a certain temp in the pond. (70* something?) There have been many ponders this year that have killed off their fish with that stuff. It's not worth it.

With the cooler temps. it won't be growing anymore. Normally you quit feeding when the water temp has reached about 55*

Offline pahunter

• Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:45:51 PM »
Read the post in the sub forum (Pond Water Quality). What you can do about algae.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »
Alage fix is POISON ! And just a plain waste of money. If too much is used it kills fish. I would rather have the SA. It only grows till a certain temp in the pond. (70* something?) There have been many ponders this year that have killed off their fish with that stuff. It's not worth it.

With the cooler temps. it won't be growing anymore. Normally you quit feeding when the water temp has reached about 55*

I second this opinion. :'(  The summer before this past one, my husband kept using Algae Fix and it killed off 6 batches of baby koi! {nono}  Every time I bought a new batch of koi babies, he used algae fix and BAM - dead fish!!! >:(-  He also used it this spring when the pea soup algae was unbearable - BAM - dead koi!!!  I let him have it!  He bought a double UV light for the skimmer - no more pea soup, and live fish all summer - YEA!!! @O@  But... we've had horrible string algae all summer.  Now it is starting to die off and is clogging the skimmer and bio filter badly.  He's had to go out at night at 2:30a.m. twice this past week because the skimmer quit working and was making a terrible noise.  Turns out the string algae clogged up the bio filter up at the top of the waterfall and the water was spilling out over the sides of the waterfall causing the pond water to get very very low!  Now he cleans the filters every other day - can't believe how much algae is building up on those filters these cooler days!!!

Next year there will be lots more water lilies and other plants now that we've established the water and can finally grow them well.  Hopefully that will keep the string algae in check.

Offline pahunter

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:54:16 AM »
www.pondclearproducts.com  Check it out. This stuff works.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 07:45:21 AM »
OK, will put in my .02. I have used AF for years and never killed a flea, let alone my fish. Usually though I under dose slightly. But I'm VERY CAREFUL about mixing the stuff and using it exactly as the label instructs. I have only used it for string algae because if it looks like the pond is going green, then I filter, filter, filter. So there ya go folks. What works for one person may not work for another. But it sounds like Dsep is doing what she should if her fish are healthy and the SA is under control. And no, you won't need the AF now that it is colder. I only use it for a couple of weeks and when the SA slows down, then I stop.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 09:04:24 AM »

So I am wondering...

Are you a consumer who has used this product, or someone who is trying to sell their wares here?  On the gardening forums that I participate in, that is not allowed.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:58:52 AM »
Hmmm. Not many posts. Company based in East Tn but no location listed for PaHunter. But then the PA may indicate Pennsylvania. Looks odd. Here is a link to all the posts: http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=283;sa=showPosts

So PaHunter, what do you say?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:01:53 AM by Esther »

Offline dsep

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 11:45:54 AM »
Thank you all for your information. I have stopped using it because of cooler weather now. It has not killed any of my fish . I do follow the directions carefully and have used it all summer. I tried the no chemical  approach straw and bacteria but it did not work.  URL: http://lakedonna.shutterfly.com/ here are some pictures of my pond and fish.
Please let me know if you were able to see them.
Thanks again Donna

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »
I have used Koi clay and barley straw and am not convinced of the capability of either. I'm not saying it didn't work at all. Maybe I didn't use it enough or the way I should have.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 01:44:50 PM »
Hmmm. Not many posts. Company based in East Tn but no location listed for PaHunter. But then the PA may indicate Pennsylvania. Looks odd. Here is a link to all the posts: http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=283;sa=showPosts

So PaHunter, what do you say?

Yep - those were my thoughts, too, Esther - just about all PaHunters posts recommend using this product!

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 01:46:48 PM »
Thank you all for your information. I have stopped using it because of cooler weather now. It has not killed any of my fish . I do follow the directions carefully and have used it all summer. I tried the no chemical  approach straw and bacteria but it did not work.  URL: http://lakedonna.shutterfly.com/ here are some pictures of my pond and fish.
Please let me know if you were able to see them.
Thanks again Donna

What a beautiful setting, Donna!  You did a wonderful job on your pond and your fish are pretty too!

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 04:14:57 PM »
Donna, your whole place is gorgeous  O0. I love your pond and all the falls  o(:-). What a cute pup, kitty and ducks............are they your ducks or are they just visitors? Anyway everything is very nicely done ;D. Oh and by the way what kind of camera did you use to take the pics?

Offline pahunter

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 07:32:37 AM »

So I am wondering...

Are you a consumer who has used this product, or someone who is trying to sell their wares here?  On the gardening forums that I participate in, that is not allowed.

Here it is plain and simple. I am pond owner who experienced problems with algae like alot of you are having. I tried there products and they worked for me. O0 HEY! But if you are skeptical, :-\ Don't take my word for it, {nono} Try it and find out for yourself. SORRY  :( :-\I was trying to help, but sounds like some people ask for help but do not want to take the advise of someone who went through the same problem. :-\ Again I am Sorry :'( for trying to help ED pahunter and yes ::) I am from Pa. :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:39:20 AM by pahunter »

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 11:56:48 AM »
Thanks Pahunter. You were just trying to help. Do you get that only through the mail or do stores carry it?

Offline pahunter

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »
Thanks Pahunter. You were just trying to help. Do you get that only through the mail or do stores carry it?
Esther: You can only get it through there web site. Ed pahunter

Offline dsep

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 01:43:20 PM »
thanks everyone I use a panasonic z3 camera and fuji f20 both fit in my pocket the z3 is new so far i love it
the ducks are visitors I miss them hope to see them in the spring
Donna

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"