Author Topic: Mexican Independence Day  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Mexican Independence Day
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:10:43 PM »
Last night and today Mexico celebrates the biggest non-religious holiday of the year, the anniversary of the beginning of the revolutionary war for independence from Spain.  In 1810, Padre Miguel Hidalgo issued the now famous "grito de Dolores" from the church in Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato.  His cry to arms has been shortened over the years and politicized a bit.  Most of it is used though in every town and city, small or large, throughout the Republic on the night of the 15th of Sept at 11pm.  Throughout the country, everyone joins together at that moment in three shouts of ¡Viva México!  Then... let the fireworks begin!! 

We were downtown in the central plaza last night for the Grito and it was spectacular.  The huge colonial government building was lit with the governor and lots of dignitaries on the balcony overlooking the plaza, the Cathedral was lit and once the Grito was complete, the bells rang out in thunderous joy.   In front of the Cathedral the castillos were set up.   We were jammed into the square with an enormous crowd that included mostly families with the fathers holding their children on their shoulders so they could see.  After the fireworks there was a free concert by the famous singer, Pedro Fernández. 

Here's the Cathedral with the castillos before the ceremony.  The castillos are covered with fireworks and all of the parts move and spin and shoot into the sky.  These were about 30' high. 

My best pic of the Gobernadora during the singing of the national anthem.

Here goes the castillo...

many of the sections are pictures or words

As the castillo died down the doors of the Cathedral lit up with fireworks as well. 

Then there were dozens and dozens of traditional fireworks exploding in the sky.  We were under large trees, which was good because of the falling sparks, and the light of the fireworks was kind of neat through the branches.

This was my first ¡Grito! in Mérida, I've been in many other Mexican cities for this holiday but never here.  It was spectacular and it was wonderful to be a part of the celebration.  We were screaming along with the crowd and waving our flags and trying to sing.  What I noticed that was a bit different is that every time there was a cry of ¡Viva México!, it was followed by a cry of ¡Viva Yucatán!.  I've mentioned before that Yucatecos are only half hearted in their Mexican-ness and most would identify first as Yucateco and then as Mexican.   Afterwards we walked over to a bar nearby and had drinks and food. I toasted the bartender with a ¡Viva México! and received a ¡Viva Yucatán! in reply.  It's an interesting difference. 

One thing that may interest Bullfrog, Padre Hidalgo was a Criollo or a Spaniard born in Mexico of Spanish parents.  One of his historic cries was supposedly "Death to the Spaniards" or "Mueran los Gachupines" which was the impolite name of the Spanish born ruling class.   Last night I heard several cries of "Abajo a los Gachupines" but not from the stage, from those in the crowd.   He was not really calling for complete independence from Spain but for a more egalitarian government under the rule of the Spanish King.  Still, his cry and his army was the beginning of a 10 year war that ended in independence, as such, he is considered the father of Mexican independence. 

The final line of the Grito de Dolores:

¡Mexicanos!  ¡Viva México!   ¡Viva México!   ¡Viva México!

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Independence Day
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:21:58 AM »
That was awesome Jonna....That cathedral looks cool..I will post some pics of the one in monclova I think that one looks like a good structure.
Those yucatecos surely have to let go....

This is the one we watched on TV and it was pretty boring...

Calderon..Mexicanos...Vivan los heroes que nos dieron patria...
Crowd..Viva..
Calderon..Viva Hidalgo..
Crowd..Viva..
Calderon..Vivia Morelos.
Crowd..Viva..
Calderon...Viva Josefa Ortiz
Crowd..Viva..
Calderon..Viva Allende..
Crowd..Viva..
Calderon..Vivan Aldama y Matamoros..
Crowd..Viva..
Calderon..Viva la independencia nacional..
Crowd..Viva..
Calderon..Viva el bicentenario de independencia..
Crowd..Viva..
Calderon..Viva el centenario de la revolucion..
Crowd..Viva..
Calderon..Viva Mexico..
Caldeorn..Viva Mexico..
Calderon..Viva Mexico..

I watched it on tv and saw no fireworks and got dissapointed..lol
We still had a great night...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:32:55 AM by HOWELL »
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:34:35 AM »
Great post and pictures Jonna...

One thing that may interest Bullfrog, Padre Hidalgo was a Criollo or a Spaniard born in Mexico of Spanish parents.  One of his historic cries was supposedly "Death to the Spaniards" or "Mueran los Gachupines" which was the impolite name of the Spanish born ruling class.   Last night I heard several cries of "Abajo a los Gachupines" but not from the stage, from those in the crowd.   He was not really calling for complete independence from Spain but for a more egalitarian government under the rule of the Spanish King.  Still, his cry and his army was the beginning of a 10 year war that ended in independence, as such, he is considered the father of Mexican independence.

I finally found the book that inspired me yesterday. The Criollos and Gachupines are discussed in length in this book and I had looked everywhere for it. Felipe would be a Criollo and a lot of the Criollos hated the Gachupines and were treated very poorly by them. We had to look everywhere for our shock collars for the dogs and there was the book in this cabinet. I'm glad I found it but your references to Mexican history do help a lot. Anyway, I really enjoyed your post and the pictures.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:01:38 AM »
What a fun thing to do in another country and great pics Jonna  O0. Glad you had a good time  @O@.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:12:22 AM »
Thanks Jonna for sharing a beautifully displayed tradition in Mexico!  I would never have a chance to see something like that from the perspective of a true observer and resident of the area.   :clap:  I can feel the excitement and colors from your writing.  Such TV shows even PBS don't cut it for me.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »
Howell, it was hard for me to hear the specific calls from the governor, too many people, too far away and too much shouting.  I did hear
Viva los heroes de la independencia
Viva Hidalgo
<<a bunch of other viva's that I couldn't understand>>

Viva los pueblos de Yucatan

then the 3 Viva Mexico and THEN... Viva Yucatan! 

I really love this holiday because there is a dish that is only made and served now and it is one of my favorite Mexican dishes, Chile en Nogada.  Oh, the flavor! It is a spectacular mix of walnut sauce, ground meat with currents and nuts, pomegranate seeds stuffed into a chile poblano.   It is very difficult to make, I looked it up one time and you have to PEEL the walnuts!! So, I will only eat it in a restaurant.  Pomegranates are ripe now and that is part of why it is served at this season but the main reason is that it is the colors of the Mexican flag, the green of the chile, the red of the pomegranate seeds and the white of the bechamel with walnut sauce.   It is an exquisite blend of flavors.  Here's a pic from my cell phone of my dinner the other night

If you ever get a chance to try this dish at a good restaurant, do it!

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:02:25 AM »
Happy Indepedence Day Jonna!  @O@
And thank you for always getting the facts straight. :clap:
It's always enlightening to read your posts.  :worship:

And that Chile en Nogada looks delicious.  (8:-)
I'm sitting here having soup for lunch.  ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 10:17:49 AM »
Jonna they are having a chile dishes in all types and all this month, and they serve maybe 2 or 3 per dish.
And different types...I went there yesterday...loved it...and it only costed me 50 pesos...that is a deal..

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 05:01:13 PM »
So interesting Jonna.  Thanks for posting this and your other very colourful and informing posts as well.  I always look forward to reading them.
emm

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 01:38:37 PM »
Nice photos of a spectacular event.  Boy, in the U.S., you would NEVER get fire that close to buildings!!

Jonna, I'll bet that something got twixed in the translation.  Surely "peel" the nuts really means "shell the nuts."   

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »
Surely "peel" the nuts really means "shell the nuts."   

Nope, in the best made versions, they actually peel the nut meat so that the sauce is pure white without any brown flecks from the walnuts.  The pic I showed had a few but then, jeez, it would be almost impossible to get all of the brown off.    It's one of those dishes that fine chefs love to make and discuss but regular cooks don't even want to think about - too much work. 

Fireworks here would send an OSHA guy in the US into a seizure.  They have those Castillos and people and kids can get right up underneath them so the sparks rain down on you.  If you catch on fire someone pats it out, no problem.   The lady next to me in the park would put her purse over her head every time a new batch of fireworks went off to keep her hair from catching a spark.  Smart.   They also have Toros or wire frame bulls that fit on a man's shoulders and are covered in fireworks and rockets.  He runs through the crowd with the rockets shooting in all directions and the fireworks going off.   People, mostly young men actually, get out and run with him and egg him on to get the fireworks coming at them or at the pretty girls along the side.  Ask Howell, I'll bet he's been out there with a Toro de fuego at some point in his life. 

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 04:13:08 PM »
Have you ever been to the ocean beaches here in Washington state anyways on the 4th of July?.......................it is like a war zone and yes you need protection from all sorts of illegal fire throwing rocket devices that will land in your lap and have you running for cover............no where is safe but it is fun as heck  @O@. The police try to keep it somewhat safe but it is impossible with thousands of bazerko people lighting stuff off for miles  :blowup:

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 07:16:50 PM »
Jonna we live too north so a lot of this traditions have been lost as time goes by...
I've seen them in movies though..And will surely love to do it sometime..

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 09:21:01 AM »
The Toritos de fuego are impressive, some more than others.  Here's a pic of one before it is lit, you can see how much firepower is on it and then consider that it is lit and running down the street at you.

This blog post in English is by a friend of ours who lives in Veracruz in the mountains.  He does an excellent job of describing the event and has links to some more pictures, I'll put one more here.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"