Author Topic: Protect your fish from heron  (Read 1988 times)

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Protect your fish from heron
« on: September 26, 2009, 08:40:21 AM »
I was looking for those plastic heron statues to buy on the internet and found this article. A lot of these ideas I have heard already on this forum but others may not have who are new. I will not be using the plastic heron after reading this:

Herons, cranes, egrets, storks and other wading birds flying overhead soon discover the ponds in our gardens. Although they might look beautiful wading in your pond, you don't want these birds feeding on your prize koi or other valuable or beloved fish. Their persistent fishing excursions could quickly decimate your pond's population. There are various ways to protect its inhabitants from these attractive but hungry predators.

It's best to incorporate a protective design when first constructing your pond. These birds normally land next to a pond, and slowly wade in to deeper and deeper water on their long legs to catch a fish. If they can't ease into deeper water this way, they won't enter the pond. You can construct your pond by having the sides go straight down instead of sloping in as on a beach. If you expect young children to visit, it's best to protect them from falling into deep water by having a shallow area filled with bog plants completely encircling the pond. Beyond the boggy border, a pond built to include a sudden plunge into deep water will deter the birds from entering.

Our ponds here in Nyon were designed with that strategy in mind. Our upper pond has sides that plunge straight down one meter deep, which no bird dares to enter. Our lower pond is completely bordered by bog plants, and just beyond them the pond sides go straight down for half a meter. Our ponds are also filled with many tall plants rising out of the water, set close to one another. This prevents any bird that does manage to enter from spreading its wings to take flight again, so it doesn't risk entering at all.

We've seen the pond of one member of our club which incorporates a similar principle, but without using tall plants. She stretches fine clear nylon fishing line in a zig-zag pattern across her pond, about 30 centimeters above the water surface. This almost invisible grid even keeps birds from wading through the pond, let alone spreading their wings to fly off with her koi. Other ponds keep the birds out by having the fishing line stretched just outside their perimeters, also about 30 centimeters above the ground. Birds landing nearby try to walk into the pond, but are confused and stopped by this simple barrier, so they fly off to find a more accessible pond.

Some authors of pond books advise solutions that we don't recommend. One is to erect a statue of a heron in or by your pond, on the theory that these territorial birds will avoid a pond that's already occupied by one of their own species. It's much more likely to attract another heron--a live and hungry one that concludes there must be good eatin' in your pond. A heron decoy is also certain to attract real herons during the breeding season. We've seen photos of a real heron standing right next to a plastic heron, so a statue is no deterrent.

Some authors also advise covering your pond with netting, the kind that farmers use to keep birds from eating fruit off their trees. This would work only if you create a tall cage of netting over your entire pond. If it's not tall enough, many of your aquatic plants will reach the roof of the cage, then bend and distort because they can grow no taller. To avoid the unattractive appearance of a cage, some authors advise you to stretch netting across your pond just above or just below the water surface. In either case, no aquatic plants can emerge much above the surface, precluding the beauty that plants add to a decorative pond. If it's placed just below the surface, the netting is also likely to trap some fish that come to the surface, depending on the size of the fish and the mesh of the netting. Using a coarser mesh to permit plants and fish to pass through eliminates the protective factor, because a bird's beak can easily get through the larger openings in the netting.

Other deterrents recommended by some authors seem more amusing than effective: One idea is to glue a plastic fish onto a rock in shallow water. The theory is that a visiting bird will get frustrated in not being able to fly away with it, and won't return to your pond. Another idea is to float a plastic alligator in your pond to scare off hungry birds. That could be effective in tropical climes where birds might recognize this natural predator, but not in Switzerland. These devices are actually sold in pond-supply stores and catalogs, and we can't help wondering who buys them.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Protect your fish from heron
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:03:02 PM »
Good info. 

But they forgot the shotgun and buckshot.   :D

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:32:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm surprised Bullfrog didn't pop in with that bit of info  lol

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:22:20 PM »
I also have heard all of the above. It is good though for newbies. So thanks for posting. My pond is next to my house and I have planted a row of tallish stuff right at the edge of the water where a heron would try to enter. Also I have made a short fence type thing out of sharpened deck spindles and polyester clothesline rope that I shove in the ground from Apil until late fall. I'll find a picture. The heron will not duck down to go under the fence or step over it. Also, even though I know it cannot totally block people, or small children from falling in, it does block it somewhat. I have heard they don't like to walk through tangly stuff like the fishline mentioned in the article so count on the plants to help.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:25:12 PM by Esther »

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »
Yep Esther I have seen your fence in another picture and it looks really nice and glad to hear it is working against the fish monger heron  ;D. Your pond looks so pretty w/ all the green plants and lilies and the huge fish  O0. I just have goldfish in mine  o(. They love me tho especially at feeding time.............well, maybe only at feeding time but that's ok, I love them all the time  o(:-). Esther what are those tall plants to the right of the picture with the needle like little leaves? They are quite nice looking  :).

Offline Esther

• Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:22:49 PM »
Janice, I don't have those huge fish any more. Do you remember reading they all died last winter? When I went after that picture, I felt sad seeing Sunshine and Tiger. I could tell that in that picture I had thrown food in among the lily pads and they were such hogs, fighting over the pieces up by the plants and rock.

Funny, Tiger wasn't good at eating. You know how they kind of suck in water and the food goes in too. Tiger would get her/his mouth positioned behind a piece of floating food and kind of sit back a ways sucking water and wait for it to fall in her/his mouth. But often too far back and another fish would come along and practically pick it out of her/his mouth. I don't know how that fish got so big.

She/he loved worms though. When it rains a lot sometime, the earth worms will come out. So I'd take a bowl out and collect them and feed them to my fish. Tiger sure knew how to slurp them up. The rest of the fish tried but Tiger would usually beat them no matter where he/she was in the pond. I used to have a spot light attached to the side of the boardwalk shining on the waterfall across from it. At night I would stand and look out my dining room window because in the summer the bugs were drawn to the light and Tiger would hang around and jump and get the bugs.

I don't know what that plant is called but it was rather stiff as it looks and had three sides, like triangular shaped. I think we dug it out this spring  and I don't have it any more. It just layed under the rocks and grew there. Wait, I think you meant something other. That has a peppermint smell to it and has a small lavendar colored blossom. Want some?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:25:33 PM by Esther »

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »
Oh sorry Esther, I forgot about that and didn't realize these were the ones you lost  :'(. I lost half my fish last winter cause of the cold I think and not cleaning the pond out very well last fall  :'(. I know what you mean about the worms.........my fish love them. I wonder if they can choke on them tho if they are small fish and try to eat a big worm cause sometimes I see them swimming around w/ the worm and it just hangs there. Then another one will come along and try to grab the other end and they're both holding on to the same worm trying to pull it from both ends. Maybe that is how fish love starts  o(:-). The plant I am talking about is the tall one with the little spines all the way up and down. Does it grow in the water? If it grows in the water I would love some..............just let me know how much you want for it and the postage.

Offline sushi

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 04:30:34 AM »
I think I have solved my heron problem.  I had a huge issue all last summer and fall.  The only thing he was afraid of was humans, so I hunted for a mannaquin but couldn't find one.  Well my daughter graduated from  Cosmatology school and didn't need her practice head anymore.  So I stuck a pipe in the ground and put the head on top and pointed it out into the yard so the bird see's it.  I haven't seen it all summer.  I don't know if it's a coincidence or if it really works, but it seems to work.  The added bonus is the laugh I get everytime my neighbor waves at it LOL

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:41:46 AM »
The added bonus is the laugh I get everytime my neighbor waves at it LOL

That is priceless! lol

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 09:57:34 AM »
 lol Sushi you've cracked me up................maybe you could add a long flowing garment or tentacle's so that it flutters in the wind under the head  ;D.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »
lol Sushi you've cracked me up................maybe you could add a long flowing garment or tentacle's so that it flutters in the wind under the head  ;D.

I think that's a terrific idea - makes it more like a scarecrow! O0

Offline sushi

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 12:56:33 PM »
I'm telling you....you should try it.  Call around to the schools and see if they have any kicking around , I paid $16,000 for mine LOL. I thought about dressing her up, but it works fine the way it is, and is more subtle.  I have a pic of her but I dont know how to resize it.   She does get a lot of comments  :)

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »
Does she have hair.......................if so maybe a bird will make a nest in it...................not the heron of course  lol

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »
I need to find one of those!  Wonder if anyone has an old large Barbie doll head lying around somewhere here???  lol

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »
Isn't Julles a mortician or something? Maybe she's got an extra head laying around that no one has claimed from years gone by :o.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 05:41:42 PM »
OMG!!! :o  EWWWWWW!  :P :D {nono}

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »
Sorry about that one...........guess it was a bit crude eh  :-\

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"