Author Topic: Koi in an aquarium  (Read 2511 times)

Offline elsejohnmolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Koi in an aquarium
« on: October 26, 2009, 07:24:02 AM »
Just for winter fun, I brought some small koi indoors for a new aquarium, 26 gal, with filter, rock, plastic plants,  etc.  I have 17 in there. Most are about 1 inch. a few are 2 and 2 1/2 inches long. I brought them in from my mud pond where I have a couple thousand from this year's spawn. The pond will freeze over in a couple of more months here in NE PA. A couple of questions: Is that too many for an aquarium this size? Can I limit their growth by feeding less...or should I even try to do that? I'll probably put them back outside when the ice goes out in mid March.  John B

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Koi in an aquarium
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:26:50 AM »
I'm sure that is too many for a small aquarium. I'm not that well versed on the koi hobby but maybe someone can give you the gallons per inch ratio adequate for koi.
You need to make sure  you have more than adequate filtration going. At this point, it may not be a good idea to put some of them back out either.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Ochiba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Koi in an aquarium
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »
Hi there, I am new here (first post :).) but I thought I would give my 2 cents. That is really a lot of koi for one aquarium... But then even a few are. They do grow fast and by the time you move them out you will see a size differnce. You can do it but I'm not sure they will be so happy. If you do decide to do it I would find some nice hardy filtration. Oh... And another thing is make sure there are goods lids cause, if not, they will jump right out. :(. Oh and ofcourse keep up on the water quallity.

Any way... If you do choose to bring some in I would do many less.

--

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"