Author Topic: koi sitting on bottom  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
koi sitting on bottom
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:10:22 PM »
That same koi that got sucked into the skimmer a few weeks ago has been spending the last couple of days just sitting around.  He'll sit on the bottom of the pond, move to the bog, then under the waterfall.  Is something wrong with him?

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: koi sitting on bottom
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:41:42 PM »
Maybe he's just scared of getting sucked into that skimmer again  :-\

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:03:51 AM »
Mine will do that on occasion, but if yours is spending MOST of his time being so lethargic, perhaps there is something wrong.  Can you tell if he has any damage to his skin?  Blemishes like sores or cuts or fungus? 

Perhaps you could isolate him and put him in a quarantine tank with salt and heat.  Be sure to cover it so he can't jump out, and give him an air pump. 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »
Is he interested in eating?

Offline Holldoll

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
He's eating.  Today his scales are sticking up. I've got him quarantined and in the house and we are treating for dropsy. From what I've read on the internet, his chances aren't great.  Let's hope we caught it in time. Only the top half of him is swollen and his eyes aren't protruding at all. 

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Oh god, I lost my favorite fish to dropsy earlier this year.  Correct, there is virtually nothing you can do.  Sure hope it is not that - but it rather sounds like it is. 

It took a while for my fish to die, and when he did, he had hidden himself inside structures in the pond.  I had to drain the whole pond to find his very decomposed body inside a milk crate.  Good thing you have yours quarantined.

Offline Holldoll

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
He pooped sometime during the night, I searched Google to see if that means anything.  I'm taking it as a good sign.  He's definitely not anymore swollen than he was yesterday.  Today I add 3 T. Epsom salt to the water.  Hopefully that will help stop it.  I think I will add some to the pond as well.  What are the ratios that it should be added? 

Offline yawning fox

• Members
  • With us since: 08/10/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 06:00:45 PM »
That happened recently to a couple of my big goldfish.  I'm a very new ponder.  The first one died before we could really pay attention to the nuances, but we noticed the second one two weeks later acting weird - just like you described.  I put her in a hospital tank and she acted so much better that we put her back in the pond just a few hours later.  I found her dead two days later.  I will follow your post, hope the best for you, and maybe learn something.  I haven't lost any fish for a few months now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway, I came to this chat room to find out why my water hyacinth is dying...  Good luck!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"