Author Topic: My Family Jewels....  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Family Jewels....
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 09:29:25 AM »
This Monarch cat is the larger of the two that are feeding on this milkweed.  I suspect as they get larger they will strip most, if not all, the leaves off....  I've not as yet noticed them on my other milkweeds.

I've noticed these bugs all gathered together on one of my ....uh...err.....pods of my Family Jewels plant.  They seem to group together in the morning hours when it's cool and spread out over the milkweed as it warms up.  I've seen them crawling all over this milkweed as well as my other variety of milkweeds and a few other plants.  My bug book IDs them as the "Large Milkweed Bug".  Since they reportedly aren't that harmful to plants, I'll just leave them be.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Family Jewels....
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 10:32:30 AM »
Sorry, but the 'bugs on the jewels' pic just looks, um, how shall I say this, nasty.

That's a nice fat caterpillar tho and you'll have a lovely flutterby when it finishes stripping the leaves off that plant!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"