Author Topic: Big Island Pond nearly finished !!  (Read 2021 times)

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Big Island Pond nearly finished !!
« on: November 22, 2009, 11:32:01 AM »
  OK,  finally, I did it. I know I said I was going to do it last spring but I got to busy doing crosses and never got to it.

This time I drove the D-5 Caterpillar dozer and built the whole pond myself.  Quite an experience. After about 30 hours on the dozer I feel fairly well qualified to run one now.  Very empowering !  And also I get things exactly the way I want them, which is hard to do when explaining it to someone else.

The main body of the pond is a little bigger than a football field, 1 acre +, and about the same length X width ratio.
 I haven't built the dam around the hill that will be the island yet, but when I do the pond will be at least 1.5 acres including the island.

This pond only receives water from rain falling directly into it so it will take more than a year to fill.   
 The island " moat " is shallower than the main body of the pond and this gives me time to work on it this winter while the deeper parts fill.

The pond runs lengthwise, north to south with the ridge top it is built on.  At the north and south ends of the pond are two small hills, the north hill is to steep for a pond-moat and it has my orchard on it. the south hill is flat enough to build a moat at water level with the main body of the pond,  about 2-3 ft. deep all the way around the hill, turning it into an island.  The moat will be filled with water lilies.

The pond is primarily composed of two dams, one on each side of the ridge top running parallel with the ridge, a straight east dam and a sinuous west dam.  The two hills function as the north and south dams.  It is a saddle shaped ridge.

The ridge top the pond is built on has two small heads of two small hollows that drained the ridge top to the east and west. These two dips in the earth were slightly offset from each other on a north to south axis. The dams run across,  perpendicular to the axis of these downward sloping dips in the original ridge top.  The WHOLE footprint of the pond was dug down to solid bedrock and piled in the center.  The contour of the rock followed the contour of the surface, approximately 3 ft deep of clay until hitting rock.  Every bit of the clay that was piled in the center was used up in building the dams.  This means no soil for lilies ! ! ! Also the rock layer at the high spots by the north orchard hill and the south island hill were very shallow, to shallow to grow lilies,  after adding soil,  in a dry year when you can have a two ft drop in water level due to evaporation in a bad drought.  The two offset 8 ft deep areas that are the heads of those hollows make a pond bottom topography that resembles a squashed  Yin-Yang shape of high ground, at this point, rock.   Not really a Yin-Yang shape but a narrow waist shape, but in the shape of an S, a squished S shaped hourglass kind of.

For soil I have the top soil from the pond site piled up at the north and south ends of the pond but there is still the high rock = shallow water problem.  Lucky I have the most amazing small tractor and dozer blade that I built myself that will cut through and pulverize the soft clay rock this ridge is made out of into the nicest soil you can imagine.
I  dug out the rock on the island end and made soil out of it and filled low spots with it until the low spots were raised to ideal depth for lilies. that lowered the height of the high rock enough to make it ideal also before it got to hard to dig.    On the north end the rock was much harder and I could not dig as much out, enough to fill in low spots but not much more. so on this end I used my big topsoil pile for the north lily bed.

So there are two giant lily beds on the north and south ends with an offset isthmus's of lilies connecting them.  The rest is rock bottom except for the dams which will also be covered with lilies.  Two rock bottom deep areas for swimming along each dam.  Looking at it from the air it should look something like a lily Yin-Yang with an island surrounded by lilies.  The rock is waterproof and tested.  And my island still has a big pile of topsoil on it for gardening.

First pic shows the pond from the north looking south to the island hill.

Next is the north lily bed with the orchard hill and east dam in the background, showing the two deep areas and hourglass waist of high ground connecting the two beds.

Next is standing on the east dam looking west.  On the left is the completed south lily bed made out of ground up rock and the tractor is on the north lily bed siting on rock waiting to grind it up and apply topsoil for the north lily bed.  Lily beds are about three ft deep.

Next is looking from the island to the orchard hill, bottom of the pond completed. Some dam work still to do.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Re: Big Island Pond nearly finished !!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 12:54:49 PM »
Wow! just WOW!  and  you are going to build your house on the island right?  That will be just spectacular!  What a great vision you have. 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »
Oh my goodness!!! That was a huge, huge job. I can't imagine doing that. You must really know what you are doing. With my luck, it wouldn't fill ever.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »
You only do small jobs around the yard I see  :D :D :D  I love the last photo with your beautiful horse.  Don't keep us waiting....I want to see some building!  Happy Thanksgiving!

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »
Jees, that's fantastic!  When you're finished, why don't you come down my way?  I can always use another pond! :D

Good job! @O@
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »
Gee whiz, sell tickets! O0 o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Here out west we would call that a lake.  Very impressive.  Ya done good.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:43:10 AM »
You've put a lot of thought and planning into this project.  Looks great so far and your plans for the ying-yang lily beds sound wonderful!

emm

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 06:42:48 AM »
  Thanks everybody. 

I will post more pics as the pond fills this winter and next spring.  I am going to plant lilies as the water rises so I won't have to wait for them to grow out into deeper water at least on the slope of the dams.

I am going to plant mostly my hybrids and a whole lot of test seedlings in the big beds and will get into mass production of my best lilies like Sunfire, Myra, Fairy Skirt, Yellow watermelon,etc, etc.

This pond will be very colorful as soon as the water rises enough because I have LOTS of starts to plant of most varieties.

I need to figure out a color pattern for the lilies because every pond is an art project of sorts and I want it to be more than just blocks or rows of certain colors for production purposes with no relation to the shape and personality of the pond.  I know that makes it harder for production purposes but beauty comes first.  Maybe a progression of colors like a rainbow across each bed merging in the center narrow area. That leaves nearly a thousand ft of shore line to put test plants in random colors along.   Heck , maybe I will sell tickets !  I know there was a time I would pay to see something like that !  Actually I guess I am paying !!  Paying a lot actually.  Eventually, hopefully I will be payed back, and more.

I have decided to make an addition to the pond on the north east corner of about a tenth of an acre extending out into my orchard because the land lays just right in that area and I can use the clay to raise the dams a little more. The work is never done and I'm all ways figuring out new places to build ponds.  Only about 40-50 more to do.

Offline isaiascrazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »
wow

it´s beatyful

:o

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:38:40 AM »
Hey TurtleMike,

Wow, you talk about the ultimate dream pond! I have always had this fantasy of owning some large piece of land with a stream running through it so I could incorporate a pond like your future pond. :P

I have to admit I for one am envious. Please keep the pictures coming.

Happy ponding, @O@
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
  No stream needed  OldMarine, Just a really good clay rock mix and forty inches of rain a year will provide a water change every 2-3 years.  No streams going into my ponds on this hilltop and water runs out the overflows almost all year, just from rain falling into the ponds. 

These ponds will last tens of thousands of years if trees don't destroy the dams because they will not silt up like a valley pond will.

So look for a place with 40 + inches of rain a year and a sunny wide hilltop full of clay and there you go !

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:15:30 PM »
wow... cant believe what youve got done since I was there!  Cant wait to see it ... cant seem to get a visual in my mind of where the  new pond is I probalby parked in it???

Yall dont wanna go and visit him.. I came home all hyped up and dug that awlful horrid bigger pond that I filled in last week with a backhoe :)

tink

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 04:31:33 AM »
It's going to be fabulous & looking forward to more pics.  @O@
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 06:17:22 AM »
Just amazing.

But I would be impatient.  I would be out there with a garden hose, trying to get it to fill sooner!

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 10:31:06 AM »
  I was wondering when you would see this thread  Tinkster.  The east dam, the one in the third pic, in shadow,  behind Spud, is the dam you drove across, the one that scared you and scraped the bottom of your van.  
  If it scared you then it would terrify you now because it's about 2.5 ft higher now and a lot steeper sided.
  The dam you drove across was just the beginning stages of the building of the east dam of the pond.  The big pile of bare dirt that was to your right as you drive in over the dam was used to Finnish the east dam and to build the west dam, which didn't exist at all when you were here.
 I don't know where, or if I will have a road out to the greenhouse yet.  It all depends on how much dam material I can get to widen the tops of the dams. Right now it looks like I might be able to make a wider top on the west dam.  It would be longer and more S shaped road but less narrow and it would take you around the island and along a longer shoreline tour of the lilies which is a definite plus.  But that FORCES me to build a wider dam around the island to accommodate the road. Which means that the island will be smaller because I will HAVE to use it for dam material. but the moat around the island will be wider and deeper also, for the same reason.  Which means more water for lilies.         I could use that island dirt to widen the top of the east dam instead, which should require less of the island dirt. more island dirt means that I can have a bigger island.   IF I want more water and a smaller island I can build a more massive dam around the island, which will use up more island dirt and therefore will make more water surrounding a smaller island.  The main idea is that I have more freedom to decide what water to island ratio I want if I don't HAVE to use the island dirt for a road.  This is an example of the kind of give and take thinking it takes to build a pond like this.    Everything you do affects everything you do so you have to imagine ahead of time the results of your actions.

My other main choice is whether or not to put the road on the dams at all and instead build a road around the pond.

This choice begins to become a  morality issue for me.  This mountain that this ridge is on is sacred ground to me, I do not dig into it lightly.  Cutting a tree is hard for me.  Building a road is blasphemy.  I deliberated for 20 years about building my first pond, my breeding pond, and even though I was sure that I was doing a good thing, by the mountain's and the wildlife's standards, as well as my own which are pretty dam high, it still was a gut wrenching experience to watch that big dozer rip the hill apart and destroy forever the natural topography of that hill.  At my direction !  This is the main reason that I will not design ponds with maximum lily production in mind.  I design with the best  possible pond for that site in mind and they will produce as much as they will .  These ponds could last thousands of years, long after we are extinct I imagine at the rate we are going, and I want whatever life forms that survive this human cancer infecting the earth to have nice ponds.

I really don't need or want a road I just need a not to slanted, not to steep way to go out the ridge with a load of hay or supplies.
  But if I did build a road I could make a much better pond because I could make the dams more narrow and higher. This would deepen the water in my lily beds for more drought resistance and provide more dam height above the water for greater water level fluctuation potential for hydro power use.  Another million gallons of stored water high up on the hill isn't a bad thing either.  The higher water level would mean a smaller island with a deeper, wider moat.

So this is my dilemma as a pond builder, but luckily I have plenty of time to come to grips with it because it will fill so slowly and all of the work is up high on the dams or outside the dams and won't be under water for a year or more.

So tinkster you might have to walk out to the breeding pond when you visit next spring if I don't sort out the road problem by then.  Either way it's going to be a GREAT pond and I'm excited ! !  I'm hopeing for rain now.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"