Author Topic: FSC Cigarettes - Am I the only one...  (Read 2981 times)

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
FSC Cigarettes - Am I the only one...
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:52:09 PM »
that hasn't heard about it until today, and sure enough, looked at my pack and there right above the barcode "FSC" - Fire Saftey Cigarettes!   What a joke!

Hope this is ok here, but I just heard about these today and did some searching on the internet and you wouldn't believe all the things I found.  Tons of symptoms making people sick, etc.  Got me thinking of how crappy I have been feeling lately for no reason, soar throat, headaches constantly, stomache aches, etc.  Not to mention the fact that a while back I realized that the cigarettes have been tasting really really bad, worse then usual odor, burning very poorly, etc., but I didn't know why until now.   

If you're not a smoker then this won't matter to you, but for those of us that choose the bad habit, I think will be concerned.  I found a site to sign a petition, which I did right away!

If interested here is the site:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/repeal-fire-safe-cigarette-laws

From what I gathered, it is in the paper that holds the tobacco, if you look close, or get wet, you will see little rings around the paper.  And then the glue is made from carpet glue!  Guess until they change the law, I will be rolling my own again (as long as the papers I buy aren't made with the FSC! 

Spoke with Phillip Morris tonight and was told that it has been in effect since 2004 in NY and several states have been following and that AL's law passed in Nov. 09', seems that's when I started feeling sickly!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: FSC Cigarettes - Am I the only one...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 07:51:35 AM »
Hope this isn't taken too harshly but I could never figure out why people enjoy spending money on something and then burning it up while inhaling the smoke. #1 my family didn't smoke so never was around it. #2 only tried it once when someone had left a pack in the lunchroom at work and everyone else had gone home. Maybe I didn't do it right but I coughed until I about wet my pants. So can't understand how a body gets past the need to cough when inhaling smoke. #3 I find the smell terrible but maybe it's because I wasn't around it much so didn't get used to it. #4 Health questions?? My husband had smoked but not much for years. He stopped before we married but said that he coughed up crud during those years but after several months of not smoking he no longer did. Also there was an odor on his breath, out of his lungs that I could smell when we were close. Not that we ever got close when we were dating. LOL. A doctor told him that it took about a year for the lungs to come back after a person quits. Come back from what he didn't say. And that was 27 years ago. So the stuff you're talking about didn't exist. Don't know if it would have been cleaner cigarettes then than now or not. Nor do I know how they decide that cancer is caused by cigarettes. Also, when you roll your own, can you know that the actual tobacco and paper isn't as harmful at the purchased ones. I know you said that it was the glue that was the problem but haven't there been and  aren't there other additives in the already rolled ones? #5 I've noticed that the price on the signs at the gas station is around $5. But is that a package or a carton? Does a person smoke a pack a day?? MERCY ME!! That would be a slew of money in a year if it's $5 a pack!! #6 Just a question by someone who never understood the habit. I have a worse one. I overeat!! Anyway, if you remember when you didn't smoke, how does smoking enhance your life? Why does a person smoke, is what I guess I'm asking? Or how did you get from the point of coughing when you first started to not coughing?

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:55:37 AM »
I only tried smoking once, and found it to be replusive. Everyone in my family smoked, except my sister and me. Notice I used the word, 'smoked', and they are all gone now. People that smoke don't realize they smell bad, it's not their fault, they can't smell themselves. While I was in the Marines, almost everyone smoked, and we were forced to live with the smoke filled rooms. I have few friends or family that still smoke, and when they do come to visit, they have to smoke out in the driveway. They don't come to visit much, which is fine with me.

Anyway, anyone can try to defend their unhealthy habits. I remember when tax on cigerettes were refered to as a 'sin tax'.

So rather than try to regulate the regulaters with a petition, just quit smoking.

Happy ponding,

Rich  :blowup:
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »
The rumors that I heard was that tobacco companies put an additive in the cigarette to make them addictive. I believe it. I smoked for ten or so years and it took the doctors to scaring me away from them. I've not smoked one in over two years and can sit with my wife smoking without it bothering me.

Tonya, if you are still young, give them up. Do it for yourself and your family. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »
yep tonya. I did it!  It is very difficult though.  ITs like kicking a drug habit along with the habit of having something to do with your hands.

tinkster

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 08:14:32 AM »
Another thing that I wonder about is why caffeine is in some softdrinks when it is not a normal component.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:08:00 AM by Esther »

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:14 AM »
Hope this isn't taken too harshly but I could never figure out why people enjoy spending money on something and then burning it up while inhaling the smoke
Are you talking about my BBQs again Esther?       lol
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 11:37:28 AM »
I just passed my first anniversary of not smoking (quit 2/27/09), and I have to say that I really do miss it. I especially miss having a smoke out by the pond watching the lilies bloom and the fishies swim.

I was a pretty heavy smoker, it took the patch AND the gum in order to succeed. But I think I've saved somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,500.00. I don't get why I don't have that pile of money sitting in front of me.  :thinking: I guess it just got incorporated into the daily routine.

Fire Safety Cigarettes.... seems like an oxymoron. Haven't smokers been vilified enough already?! The next time you see a smoker, thank them for paying for the underprivileged childrens health care programs.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »
OH NO MIKEY!! I didn't think you'd see that. LOL

Karen, my husband would agree with you. He quit cold turkey---finished the pack he had and never smoked another. But he said that for a while when he'd see people in restaurants smoking, he had such a craving. Also he dreamed about smoking even. He said it lasted maybe a year before he stopped thinking of it at all. He enjoyed sitting down to read the paper at night while smoking a bit, said it relaxed him. We don't get the paper any more. He doesn't smoke any more but he manages to be asleep on the couch in seconds. LOL

So are you saying that the companies pay for some health programs? I think I missed what you meant.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »
Nice replys all!  And to those of you that smoked and kicked the habit, that's great!

I know it's bad for my health and I think about quitting all the time, but I guess I'm just not quite there yet.  I've tried several times in the past and it lasted anywhere's from a week to a few months, but always went back.  I am pretty sure, that in order to really suceed, a person really has to have their mindset to do it.  And even though some people can quit that are still around other people that smoke that's great, but I also don't think that works for everyone.

Hopefully, I will be there one day.  It is a filthy habit, and it is expensive. 

I've been smoking since I was 15 and I'm now going to be 48, so it's been many years.  I hope it doesn't take a bad scare from the doctor one day, by then it could be too late.  But until I think I am fully commited, it's probably not going to work.

Once again, I'm really glad for all of you that have been able to quit, that really is fantastic!!!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »
Hey, nobody's answering my questions. I promise to not scold you. Anybody??

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »
Also he dreamed about smoking even. He said it lasted maybe a year before he stopped thinking of it at all.

So are you saying that the companies pay for some health programs? I think I missed what you meant.

Yes. The company my hubby works for footed the bill for my "quit". Understand, though, that they benefit from that in the way of reduced medical costs for all. As far as I can muster, they must have spent at least 2,500.00 on me just to quit!

And Yes. the huge taxes imposed on smokers (over .65 cents per pack at the least, depending on your state- similar to the tax you pay on gasoline) pay for health programs directed towards indigent and/or underprivileged children. That money was supposed to go to quit programs... and a lot of it did, but the remainder of the giant tobacco suits ended up going to the children.

When I quit using the patch and the gum, it was surreal. I dreamed every night about anything and everything. Bizarre dreams!  They were very intense, captivating, irritating, scary dreams. Had hard times with the family because I was so irritated at anyone and anything. Took about two months to resolve all that. Still miss my smokes!

It was absolutely the hardest thing I've ever done.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:04:21 PM by karen J »
Karen

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 07:33:01 PM »
I tried it many years ago when I was a teenager,,,never did like it .
Most of my family smokes  sisters, bro & parents, one of my younger sis's quit a few years ago .
She now tell's me she know's what  food taste's like .   ;)

bonnie

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 08:05:50 PM »
I smoked from about 15 until 2 years ago when I was 62, I still chew the nicorette gum.  I am not bugging myself about stopping that as I'm happy that I am not smoking.  I miss it too.  Esther, like drinking booze or coffee, it is a taste that develops as you do it, that first cigarette made everyone cough.    I enjoyed the lift and the focus that I got from having a cigarette, if I was having a hard time figuring something out I could sit and smoke and think and it seemed to sharpen how I thought.  At the same time, it relaxes you.  As someone above said, I miss the time out moments of sitting, smoking and just contemplating something.   It's just too bad that it is so bad for you, seems like all the good stuff is bad for you somehow. 

They starting taxing cigarettes at a much higher rate and said they would use the money for stop smoking campaigns.  You know how the politicians are, they see money laying around they spend it on something else.  Then they kept raising the tax, it is a sin tax.  It's easy to say 'oh they are doing something bad let's tax them more and save them', but the money never goes where they say it will.  Plus, more and more people are quitting so there was less money so they keep raising the tax because they have already spent the money.  It's pretty close to the snow job when they passed the lottery, "it will pay for extras for the schools."  Well, they just used it for the basic stuff and that left more money they didn't have to spend on schools.  You see any extra stuff coming from the lottery?  I don't.  I don't see any extra campaigns coming from the cigarette taxes either but now they have the problem that the income is going down because less people smoke but they can't go out and tell people to smoke more.  I'm sure they are looking at anything else they can call a sin and tax.  What about fat?  A fat tax?  It's the obvious next step.  Get ready to pay more for fast food and eventually you'll be getting on the scales to see what you owe every year. 

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
not sure any of us liked it at first.. I know I didnt.. but I was raised in the tobacco fields stripping it and it was the cool thing to do them.  Peer pressure was hard .

tink

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 09:26:19 PM »
I didn't mean to open a can of worms here, but it appears that a lot of people have thought a lot about the subject, as it is a fact of life.  If it's so bad for us all, then why isn't it illegal? 

A lot of people drink alcohol, and a lot get into trouble and do stupid things, terrible things, but what about us that enjoy to drink, but are responsible?  Should we all be condemend?  Shouldn't it be illegal then too?

Like someone else said, one day they will probably be taxing fast food (causes obesity), well is it a sin or against the law to eat?  Why should they tax people more just because they enjoy fastfood?  I do, but only eat at them places once a week, at the most.  I'm overweight by standards, and I don't eat a lot by all means, or a bunch of fastfood, everyones metabolism is different. 

I think that the goverment already taxes alcohol and cig's way too much and not to mention the taxes on food from the stores.  Don't we all have to eat?  And if certain food is so bad for us, then why are they allowed to make and sell it? 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 05:47:04 AM »
No can of worms. Just a discussion. Also I have always wondered about some of the stuff I'm questioning. Peer pressure never worked on me. Guess I didn't have money or freedom when I was young and peer pressure might have worked. Also, I never had what the other kids had anyway, so learned young to fight against peer pressure. Somehow, I just never got into any of it, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes or partying.

Some of us are fat and it doesn't have much to do with fast food. Me for one. So a fat tax, and I've heard it is being discussed by politicians, won't help me much. A person can get fat from overeating the right stuff too. It isn't so easy but it can happen. Don't skinny people eat fast food? For me, I think my problem is more just plain over eating. I watch my step mother who is the tiniest person and also my daughter in law. They eat everything but I look at their plates and wonder how they survive on such a little bit of food. Yet, they have siblings who are fat so I wonder if it is a matter of mindset or heredity to some extent.

In the end as all this stuff is being mentioned, look how money seems to be the determining factor. For me, it is a good reason not to smoke or to stop, but for politicians , it is a good reason to allow something that is potentially harmful to remain. Scarey to me.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 08:42:33 AM »
Jonna hit the nail on the head. So completely true!

I follow a lot of health/nutrition forums and blogs, and yes- politicians are always looking for more things to tax. Fat, sugary soft drinks, fast food, trans fat, etc. The problem there is that nobody really knows what causes excess weight accumulation. Gary Taubes wrote a book about it (Good Calories, Bad Calories) after researching 150 years of nutrition "science" (or lack of).

The real reason why I quit was not exactly for health reasons. It was to restore my credibility and win a challenge. I told my Mom I would quit smoking if she would quit eating processed refined carbohydrates like white flour, sugar, corn, wheat (basically all grains in general). So I quit. Unfortunately, she didn't hold up to her end of the deal & she's still eating garbage food. Sucked in by the "whole grain" propaganda.

They raised the tax here again on cigarettes and alcohol. At the same time, I heard that Nanci Pelosi racked up over a hundred thousand dollars on booze and food for her private plane. All politicians are just money hungry crooks, doesn't matter what letter they have after their name. We Americans are taxed to the point where we can't afford to have a smoke or glass of wine- only the politicians can afford that.

Sorry for the rant. I must go check to see if my Limoncello is ready.  :D

Edit: I've just had an epiphany. The US government doles out money for scientific research. If you produce research that makes the government more money, you will get more research grants. If you torture the scientific data, it will show whatever you want it to show. So if you show that a particular food component is bad, or that smoking is unhealthy, you will please the government because it can impose a new tax and make lots of moolah.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:46:36 AM by karen J »
Karen

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 10:31:38 AM »
My first thought was to wish I had the brains to know how to rip the government off with some fake research but then I remembered that the government was me.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 11:16:41 AM »
The President got a clean bill of health today. He is a smoker, surprisingly. :'(

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:06:54 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 02:08:12 PM »
Oh heck, I forgot we couldn't talke about the government.  :(

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 06:06:43 PM »
Oh heck, I forgot we couldn't talke about the government.  :(

You are guaranteed under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights to discuss your content or discontent with the government. As long as what you say is true and does not harm anyone.  :D

"We reaffirm, as an essential foundation of the Information Society, and as outlined in Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, that everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; that this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers. Communication is a fundamental social process, a basic human need and the foundation of all social organisation. It is central to the Information Society. Everyone, everywhere should have the opportunity to participate and no one should be excluded from the benefits of the Information Society offers."

-World Summit on the Information Society, 2003

The grammar is a little messed up, but you get the gist.

Karen

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 06:31:35 PM »
The reason we don't talk about it here, though, is out of respect, politeness, and our non-litigious nature.  :) Just adding that little disclaimer...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:35:31 PM by karen J »
Karen

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 10:09:21 PM »
Esther it was politics and religion.
It is often hard to know what is cool and what isn't.
We only seek to avoid nastiness and name calling
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »
Justice Oliver Wendell Holme said. "You cannot shout fire in a crowded theatre."

Freedoms are limited.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »
Freedoms are limited.

Yes, more so every year.

I think a lot of kids these days don't really get that. They think they can say things about other people because they have "freedom of speech". Defamation, obscenity, libel, & slander are not protected by the Constitution.

I need to read it again, but I've always interpreted the Constitution to mean that freedom of speech meant freedom to criticize (and have your own opinion about) the government without the threat of persecution or censorship, not that you can just say anything you want about anyone and get away with it.
Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"