Author Topic: LOTUS  (Read 1717 times)

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
LOTUS
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »
when should i plant my lotus seeds  ?? i know it is too early and cold now but would like to know when and how .... lorraine
lorraine

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: LOTUS
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:37:30 PM »
well you can start your seeds now, indoors... i usually score mine w a dremel and place them in clear dixie cups on a sunny window seal to get them going, you dont have to plant them really till you see 4 leaves... tho i dont know what to do after that cuz i killed my four leaf sprouts lol.

Offline tugo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:21:07 PM »
They grow up so quickly that in short you will need a larger water source, light and heat. In my zone 9 April is the best time to start.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:14:01 PM »
Michelle, I plant mine at the first sign of a root. That is about the third leaf. That way, you just have to stick the shell in the soil and it will root itself.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
Lorraine, I would plant the seeds after they start making roots. As Rad mentioned, you need to cut a little ways into the seed with a file or dremel, etc. Put the seed in a container oif water and put it in a sunny warm place. You should be ready to plant the new plant within 3 or 4 weeks, so I would estimate putting the seed in water about 3 weeks before warm weather in your area. Also, if a seed floats, chances are it is not viable. Seeds should be plump and sink in water. They will also be hybrids and not the same as plant as the mother plant. They will be a cross from it.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
just remember to plant them in a round container....the first time I did them I did not realize and put them in square containers.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »
Marla, I did the same thing with my first tuber. :(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »
thanks everyone      ;D ;D ;D ;D
lorraine

Offline OldMarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 04:31:45 PM »
Hi Lorraine,

I started to germinate my lotus seeds a month ago using the instructions at the website noted below. It worked for me, and I started 18 lotus seeds. I now have eight of them planted in 55 gallon half barrels out next to the driveway. The rest I am giving to a friend that wanted any left over starts that I might have. My lotus seeds are from India, but I have no idea what they will look like.

http://www.faculty.sbc.edu/simpson/Lotus/germination.htm

Good luck and happy ponding,

Rich   o( o( o( o(
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »
Rich, I used information from Victoria-Adventures to start mine. I have started somewhere around 70-80 lotus seeds in all. Some of those were given to other people.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"