Author Topic: How to store lotus short term  (Read 794 times)

Offline nmpondguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • NM Ponguy's Watergarden Retreat
How to store lotus short term
« on: March 20, 2010, 07:09:31 AM »
I received a lotus tuber in the mail a few days ago.  It is still in the box, in a large ziplock bag along with a layer of dry peat moss.  I had planned to plant it this weekend but it is snowing today.  Now, I may not get time to plant it for a week or two.  Can I just keep it in the house packaged as it is or should I store it some other way?

I've always read that lotus tubers are very delicate.  I hope I don't kill it before I even get a chance to pot it.

TIA,
nmpondguy

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How to store lotus short term
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
You can leave it in that bag on the counter or in a cupboard or on shelf in garage just to keep it dormant they can stay like that for a while... If it by chance starts growing at the growing tips just be careful when planting it because u can't damage those tips ! I just lay my tuber on the soil and put a rock in the middle to anchor it place away from those tips

Offline nmpondguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • NM Ponguy's Watergarden Retreat
Re: How to store lotus short term
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:08:07 PM »
Thanks Rad Michelle.  Now I can rest easy.  I'll put it in the garage untill I get time to plant it. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"