Author Topic: Dog scare  (Read 1699 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Dog scare
« on: March 28, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
I was caring for a neighbor's dog during the weekend. She left town mid day Friday. When I went to her house to pick him (Lucky) up he met me at the door but also knocked a lamp with a glass shade over right next to the door and cut the back of his leg. OMG.....I couldn't get it to stop bleeding, kept applying cold compresses then finally decided I had to get him to a vet. Of course it was after vet hours so we had to go to the emergency clinic. Poor guy had cut his tendon. The vet had to stitch the tendon, then the tissue, then the skin so he has 3 layers of stitches and a wrapped leg. Also has an e-collar which he hates (can't say that I blame him). Anyway, $500 (YIKES!!!!) later we were on our way home. I stayed at his house with him till my neighbor (who fortunately is 1 of my 2 best friends so wasn't mad when she heard about the accident) got back to town at 1AM this morning. The vet said had I waited to take him in the morning he would have bled to death or could have lost some or all use of that leg. So my nice deed cost me $500. I feel since he was in my care that the cost should be my responsibility. He's doing pretty good today. He whimpered for hours the 1st night but seems to be in less pain now. But here we are only 4 weeks being back in our house after our fire and we now have a new $500 to add to our bills from extra work we had done on our house....another yikes!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:24:21 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
Re: Dog scare
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
I would expect your friend to pay the $500.  After all, you were doing your friend a favor in caring for the dog, which made you a bailee for no personal gain.  Since the bailment was to the primary benefit of the bailor (your friend), the bailee (you) must be found grossly negligent to be liable for damage done to the bailment.   You were not negligent at all and actually acted to mitigate the damage done to the dog, keeping it from dying or losing use of its leg.  You went beyond ordinary care by taking the dog to the emergency vet.  Also, it was the dog that caused his own injury, not you.  Finally, if the dog's owner is as you indicated, a close friend, there is no way they would or could allow you to pay.  Rather, I would expect them to be indebted to you for taking the extra time and effort to obtain care for their injured pet, I know that I would.

Several years ago, on a dark rainy Christmas Eve night, a car hit a basset hound across the street.  The poor animal was howling in pain and would not allow anyone to get close to it.  I fashioned a rope loop on a pole and took a blanket with me and caught the animal, wrapped it in the blanket to avoid being bitten, and carried the 80 pound dog to our car and Karen and I drove downtown to the emergency vet.  The vet examined the dog and told us it was seriously injured and he could either put it to sleep or operate, which cost he estimated at $700.  Without even asking the other, we both said "operate”, which we would pay if the owner could not be found.  The next morning I was putting a large sign in the front yard indicating we had found a basset, when a car with a young couple pulled in and identified them as looking for a basset.  They had just driven back on Christmas day from visiting relatives in Virginia because the person who was caring for their TWO bassets had called and told them one of the dogs ran out of the house when they went to feed them.  The owners went to the emergency vet and took care of the bill.  We thought no more of it until around St. Patrick’s Day we got a letter from THE DOG, thanking us for saving her life!  Said letter was signed with a paw print and included pictures of the recovered basset with her sister basset, both on their own loveseat.  Also included was a gift certificate for two at a local steakhouse.

Yeah, I’m betting your friend will not stand for you bearing the expense of their dog.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 04:55:10 AM »
Oh NO Cath!!  Stuff just happens when sitting for other people's pet's huh?  Isn't pet boarding (and house sitting) a business of yours, or do I have you confused with someone else on AP? 

I have to agree with Johns on the $500.  Hopefully, they'll step up and just do the right thing.  But I would think that when people leave their pets in your care and something goes awry, they would expect them to be cared for in the best possible way and then absorb the cost on return.  Pets do dumb things when their owners leave, probably because of separation anxiety a lot of times. 

Johns--good for you and the Mrs.  What a neat thing for those people to do, letting you know how she fared. 

LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:48 AM »
I agree with Johns. You weren't throwing glass around and hit the dog. It is not your fault. Especially seeing it happened at their house too. I hope for the sake of your pocketbook and the sake of your friendship, that they see their way clear to pay the bill.

Many years ago, Kevin had taken our dog to the neighbors. That was back when they had those gel filled toys shaped like The Hulk. One of their kids took The Hulk and was pushing it into the dog's face and pulling it back and saying, "Get it." Sure enough the dog tried to get it and in the midst of the "fun" grabbed it and ripped the casing and ruined the toy. When Kevin told me, I went out and bought a new one for them. Part of the reason was to give an example (hopefully good) to that family that was lacking in manners to some extent. I'm afraid that the example was lost on them though. I bet they just thought I was stupid to do that.

We had a neighbor dog attack out dog on our property a long time ago and the neighbor paid for the care.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
LuAnn....yes, I do pet sitting as a business, but when I watch neighbor's or good friends pets I don't charge. I recently checked with our insurance agent about getting insurance coverage in case something happens while a pet is under my care. But wouldn't you know...I hadn't gone forward with it. PLUS....I don't imagine this would be a good time to turn in a claim considering we are not even settled over our fire damage yet. Can you say 'red flag???'
My friend e-mailed last night saying she feels bad about us paying the bill. When she came home and discovered what had happened I told her I felt responsible since Lucky was in my care so Rich and I felt we should cover the bill. However, her mail said she feels bad that I had to deal with this, that she knows it had to be scary for me and I was so good to Lucky to stay with him the rest of the weekend and she wants the bill and if nothing else please let her pay half of it if not all.
So we will probably do that...go halves with her.
Well.....I'm heading over to check on sweet Lucky now. This neighbor/friend is a single mom who works full time (one of the main reasons we thought we should cover the cost....her 'ex' is not exactly forthcoming with his child support in a timely manner and we know funds are tight for her at times) so I told her I would check on him a few times a day till he's healed.
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
Would this have happened if she would have been home with the dog? NEVER MIND {:-P;;

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
I understand how you feel.  She really should step up, but doesn't have the funds to do it considering her circumstances.  Seems to be a lot of that going around these days:  men not paying paying their child support.  Now people, don't blast me, this is the way it is in the county I live in. 

That's just bad timing about the insurance.  I would however, get some before you sit with other people's dogs, just to protect yourself.  This could get EXPENSIVE!   lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »
Yeah...when you're paying out $500 in vet bills while sitting for free something is amiss.  :o
Lucky is doing really well today. I spent some time with him, took him outside and he's stepping on the hurt foot some today, that was a good sight. So far he's been hopping around on 3.
zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »
It's amazing how well dogs and cats get along on three legs.  Lucky is lucky (no pun intended)  ;)  that you found him just in the nick of time.  And his momma is lucky to have you for a friend.   8)
LuAnn

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 02:28:19 PM »
I understand why you felt you needed to pay the bill.
Besides, most vets these days won't even touch an animal unless you can prove you can pay the bill, particularly the emergency vet clinics.
I'm guessing you would have had to pay the bill to get him treated for the injury.
I'm glad to hear the owner at least wants to pay half.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 09:13:14 AM »
I have to agree with a number of others here.  You shouldn't be paying ANY of that bill.  Sorry, that is just wrong.

Bart

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"