Author Topic: Big Pond Spring Prep  (Read 1047 times)

Offline nhfishroom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Big Pond Spring Prep
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »
I maintain a 1/3 acre fire pond (steep sides, few plants, deep) build by the town for water to fight fires.  No law says it can't be nice, carry fish, etc.  We have bass and bluegills and I recently added native catfish.  I normally pump air into the deepest part (18 feet deep) and add lime to raise the pH and salt as needed.  My question is "How long do I wait until I start pumping air?"  I'm in New Hampshire, the nights are still colder than ground temperatures below the frost line, and I don't want to shock the fish with cold air.  I do want to add air to start the decomposition process now that the ice skaters have vacated the surface for a time.  Any thoughts?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Big Pond Spring Prep
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »
The ponds sounds nice.....bump.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »
no idea either since I run my pumps/waterfall year round.

tink

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »
Yes, it does sound nice.  My question:  why do you think you need to pump air into the pond?   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline nhfishroom

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:01:51 PM »
Several years ago I had help from a wonderful local fish farmer named Melvyn Murrel.  He suggests adding air through a stone to help with decomposition on the bottom.  There was lots of un-decayed plant matter and a nasty smell to the water when we started.  Air, some lime, a little salt, and microbes have done marvels.  The water is clearer (not down to 18 feet) and the dogs don't stink when they climb out.  If you research how they treat ponds on golf courses, you'll find 2 types:  lots of chemicals and those who do it like this.  Anyway, I've about decided to put the air in early since it's warming early.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:15:31 AM »
NH - that is fascinating information!  I appreciate knowing a little about the chemistry behind ponding, and your post is just that.  I never would have thought of that, adding air to speed up decomposition.

Offline nhfishroom

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
I suppose the answers to big pond questions start with two realizations:  The chemistry is the same, but the size prevents using a traditional filter.  So you try to enhance and assist nature's normal processes, attack anaerobic areas, and fight the normal trend toward acid water (including the acid rain that comes in from the west).  I got native catfish to stir the bottom, bringing water and oxygen into the anaerobic bottom junk, add air and microbes, and watch the pH.  It even helps to fight the duckweed and algae problem.  Anyway, I have not found a good book that applies familiar ideas to the larger scale, so I'm asking lots of questions.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"