Author Topic: Turtle Mike - Caught a Cull Fish  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Turtle Mike - Caught a Cull Fish
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
At feeding time this morning, I was able to nab one of the two fish I want to cull from the pond, by using your suggested method.  I have been putting the net in the pond at feeding time, to get the fish used to it.  Then, instead of pushing the net at the fish, I waited until the one I wanted swam above it, and stayed there long enough for me to gently bring the net up around him.  Voilà!

This way, none of the other fish were too frightened by the net, so it won't take much time to get them accustomed to it again, and hopefully I can catch the other cull fish.  He doesn't come to the top as much, but now I know I have a method and a chance.   :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Turtle Mike - Caught a Cull Fish
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »
I'm having the same dilemma right now too.  So many babies that got away last summer have grown in size>>>>>turtles are waiting for din-din!  Much patience also needed.  :P

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:25:47 AM »
  All right, that's the main idea.  Get them used to the net, or better yet get them to associate the net with food. 
 A feeding frenzy helps too.   
  Patience.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »
I have tried every trick in the book with mine.. I think sense they are giong out of the big pond.  I am getting ready to drain mine down "AGAIN to try to catch all the ones that have to come out.    Someone here told me about a minnow trap which works pretty good but not for all of them.  I have so many rocks for them to get between and hide under its impossible.

tmike I might have to come get you to come fishing in my pond.

tink

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:45:36 AM »
I've tried that method before but don't have enough patience.  My ponds are small enough that I just drain the water into clean garbage cans/stock tanks in order to catch all the fish & then cull out the ones that I'll give away or sell.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »
In my big pond the Golden Orfes keep the goldfish population down.
 In one of my smaller ponds last year I used a minnow trap with some success although the larger fish were to smart to venture in.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 04:59:21 AM »
I used my minnow trap several times last year to catch fish that were about 1"-1.5".  I had success in all the ponds except for one.  Didn't do anything different but I guess those fish were smarter, LOL.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"