Author Topic: Just some pics for you.  (Read 2723 times)

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Just some pics for you.
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »

Nothing to say just some of last years seedlings that you wouldn't otherwise get to see. Plants that wouldn't probably make it to market but are great plants none the less and someone besides me should get to see them.
  So it will just have to be you I guess.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Just some pics for you.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »
As usual, superb!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:32:09 PM »
Beautiful!! O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
I love those mottled pads in the 2nd pic.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 04:53:48 PM »
I live closer to you now, Mike. Not as far to go to sneak into your ponds in the night. ;D

lol lol lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 07:49:40 PM »
so pretty!  cant wait to see them in real again!

Scott.. dont you know about us mountain folks and their guns :)

tink

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »
Tink, I know. I'm half Redneck and half Hillbilly. What makes it worse, I'm educated. STEALTH MODE! lol lol lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 01:14:47 PM »
Hey Mike, when are you going to release Sunfire for sale? I have a reserved spot in my pond when ever you are ready to share that beauty. o(:-)

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:44:16 PM »

You guys crack me up !

Hey Pondman. I read that you are a member at Pond Boss forums.   I am now too and I have posted once or twice about pond construction and siting.  I probably have more in common with the big mud ponders than most liner ponders.  Nothing against liner ponds or anything, big mud ponds are just what I do and have lots of experience with.
  Not much sense talking about slip seams and dam construction and pond siting or lilies planted in big mud ponds here.
 Don't worry if you like that sort of stuff because I won't stop if you don't want me to. I figure it's a smaller audience for that sort of pond stuff here but interests and situations overlap between the two realms.

Frogman keep that spot open and get ready to build or enlarge because I'm dividing everything to the max this spring. 
  I have 8 lilies officially registered now with many more on the way very soon.

Also two will be entered in the IWGS lily contest this year.

The way I see it the earliest that Sunfire can be available for sale would be spring 2012.  I don't think it would be longer.   Sunfire reproduces fairly rapidly in low nutrient conditions and one plant will make around thirty new plants a year if conditions are right.   I probably have 100 plants right now at least.  so next spring, 2011,  I could have 3000 plants that will make 30 more plants each by the end of the year. That's 90,000 plants, most of which would not be saleable size but I would say that 6,000-9,000 would be.  At that point I better start selling them.
  Sunfire is being grown in four places other than my place this year, two of them in Texas,  coastal and desert, and one in central Florida and so by the end of the year I should have a pretty good idea how it does in the hottest parts of the country.  Also many more of my plants are being tested in these climates.  I'm sure north is no problem, probably just darker colored in cooler climates is my guess.

Fairy Skirt will take longer because it doesn't make " tuberoids " like Sunfire does it just makes offshoots so far.

Myra is also registered and makes twice as many offshoots and tuberoids than Sunfire so it might be available even sooner than Sunfire.

I think I might have a plant that's like Sunfire but even hotter colored.  It's only made 3 flowers so far but I think it could blow Sunfire out of the water ! !   And that's HARD to do !    It's to early to tell for sure because you never know how a plant will change as it develops over the first two or three years but my experience tells me that this plant is going to be something special if it does what Sunfire did and gets darker and hotter.  Also it seems like it holds it's flowers higher above the water than Sunfire and might even bloom more if that's possible.

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
Haha you can have a 5 growing location in south centeral Cali if you send one to me

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 06:09:55 PM »
Love them all.

emm

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »
TMike, you can talk all you want about mud ponds and growing lilies in them and I'll listen to every word. (8:-) (8:-) (8:-)

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »

I know there are a few mud ponders on AP like you Scot. 

I could become quite a preacher about the beauty and value of a properly built and planted mud pond.

And Rad you and everyone else on AP. will be among the first to be able to get my lilies when I start selling them.
  When the dam bursts it will be a flood and I plan on making my plants available to AP members slightly before I blow the dam and start selling them on my website and sending them out to any retailers that might want to sell them.

Rich Sacher in New Orleans is at the head of the list to get my plants next and he will be selling them when I start selling them.  Rich has been very encouraging and helpful to me in my breeding interests and I have promised him first sales of my plants.

I'm working as hard as I can. Just hold on a little longer.

The pics of the yellow one I call  Cup Yellow.

Offline frogman3

• Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
I can't fathom how you manage to do all the work raising that many lilies but from what I can see you are doing a fabulous job Mike.
 I predict robust sales on AP and beyond.  O0

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 04:56:57 AM »
Mike--it is great that you've registered several of your lilies, going to enter some into competition, & that is terrific news that some will be for sale in a couple years.  Good luck  :)
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 07:07:33 AM »

Thanks Emm. Missa, Jerry, Tink,etc, etc.

The yellow one I probably will register unless I come up with something better along those lines soon.  It really is a good plant that's darker yellow than any other hardy yellow including Joey Tomocik with some orange and pink in it's outer petals sometimes.

Here's another yellow that I probably haven't shown you guys before.  It averages as dark or slightly lighter than Joey Tomocik on a much bigger flower and lots of petals.  It kind of reminds me of Perry's Double Yellow but much darker with a few less petals that are pointier than PDY. 

It's the yellow in the foreground of the last pic.    It blooms like crazy most of the time with a good flower to leaf ratio.

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 07:13:33 AM »
DROOL!!! 8-)~

Gorgeous!

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 02:01:04 PM »
The mix of colours in that last picture are just beautiful.  o(:-)  I can only dream of such splendor.  Like Lynnne I am drooling.  8-)~

emm

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
   Thanks Emm

That's my favorite thing about growing seedlings is the amazing subtle differences in color and shape that you get.

I like to show you, or otherwise you wouldn't get to see it.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 06:22:03 AM »
JUST STUNNING!!! O0
Kathy

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 07:01:52 AM »
TMike, don't you ever get tired of looking at them?

If you do, send them to me! @O@ @O@ @O@
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 07:27:55 AM »
Mike cannot wait for you to sell lilies to us. How about the watermelon one?

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 08:50:20 AM »

Thanks guys.

I never get tired of looking at them even though I have my face literally in the flowers from the time they open until about one in the afternoon 7 days a week for 3-4 months every year for 5 years now.  And that is with magnifying glasses just a few inches from the flower.  I have a VERY close and personal relationship with each of my lilies, and yes I do sometimes talk to them.  Some might say that I have been marooned on Turtle Island by myself for to many years and I'm getting a little weird. Well I've got news for them I've been a little weird for a LOT longer than that.  That's how I got so into this, not the other way around. 

In my opinion you can't fully appreciate lilies until you float up to them on an air mattress and get right in them with your face at water level.  Or stand among them in neck deep water.
  I think that the huge variety of plants that I have combined with the quality of observation that I routinely have along with the fact that these are new plants and there is a lot to learn about them individually for the first few years like how do they react to overcrowding and how long does it take keeps it very fresh feeling for me and I am always motivated and happy to get to work.

The fact that my plants are my babies helps a lot too.  That and the constantly changing breeding situation keeps me excited about the next cross.

The pics of masses of flowers show two years growth of each plant in natural conditions, no dividing with moderately high fertility and lots of sun.  These pics show what the beginnings of this year will look like and then the beds will be at there maximum beauty this summer before over crowding will begin to effect them in future years.

Hi Vickie.   Yellow Watermelon is registered and entered in this years IWGS competition and I am multiplying it as fast as possible.  After watching it this last summer my conclusion is that it is a truly special plant that will go far.  It keeps it's leaf color all summer except for a few leaves that stood above the water.   It's a heavy duty plant with thick leaves, stems and petals. if there is a Koi resistant lily then this could be it.  It's even bug and fungus resistant.  It flowers like a tropical and holds it's flowers as high as Colorado on very strong pedicels.  I would say that it would make a great cut flower.  Probably hail resistant too.  No rain will knock these flowers or petals down.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 09:28:01 AM »
Thanks I like that lily because it is different. Cannot wait to see your lilies sold.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 10:47:07 AM »
I don't remember TMike, but is Watermelon one of those hardy/tropical crosses that you have done? Explain how it became bug and fungus resistant? I need to make all of my lilies bug resistant or at least moth resistant. :(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »

No Scot it's not a hardy x tropical cross it's all hardy but I couldn't say what it's parents are especially on the pollen side.
  I don't know what it is that makes it bug and fungus resistant. I guess you would have to ask the bugs and fungi.but you really don't have to know that to breed for it.  My idea is that the leaves are so thick and tough that a fungus has a hard time infecting it and bugs have a hard time eating or digesting it. The leaves are very shiny and slick and that might make it difficult for a sprouting fungus spore to bore into the tissues before the sun dries it and kills it.

I have noticed high variability in fungus and caterpillar damage to my plants so there must be something going on.
  Plants that have mexicana in them are much more resistant to caterpillars.  My James Brydon bed was kept defoliated almost all summer one year by caterpillars. at the same time one of my seedlings with Mexicana in it, growing right next to it was almost untouched all summer.Peter Slocum is very susceptible to fungus attack and so is Sunny Pink.  That's one of the reasons I don't really like Sunny Pink especially for breeding.  The other thing is that it will bloom like gangbusters for a week or two and then take a week or two off. Also big and leafy with a huge root that wants to go somewhere.  It reminds me of Peter Slocum and I have a suspicion that's is it's pollen parent.

My hardy X tropical seedlings are still not making surface leaves. some have been growing for 2 years now.
  I'm pretty sure I know what the problems are and I have made corrections in one of my seedling rooms and I will start fixing the other room soon and get those plants making surface leaves and flowers.  Approximately 800 seedlings now and more sprouting every day.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"