Author Topic: List shade tolerant hardies  (Read 895 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
List shade tolerant hardies
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:17:52 PM »
List any hardies that you have experience with in shady locations (be sure to say how many hrs of sunlight).

N. mexicana (semi-hardy)--I've got it growing in a 100 gallon stock tank that gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: List shade tolerant hardies
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 04:26:57 PM »
Kat, if you don't mind me asking, why are you calling N. mexicana semi-hardy? I think that I know the answer but I want to make sure. :) Plus it might clarify for those that don't know.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
Don't know the technical terms why is it called semi-hardy, just have heard thru the grapevine that it is  :)  Probably something to do with it being a species lily.

This summer I'm going to be growing several hardies in tubs & the pond that gets only 4-5 hours of daylight to see how well they do.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:49:40 PM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
Thanks Kat. Not what I was thinking. I thought that it was because it was originally from Mexico which is fairly tropical.

Anyway, wouldn't any crosses of N. mexicana have the same light needs of the parent?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »
I have a yellow blooming N. mexicana that sort of sits in the shady area of my pond and it does bloom decently and the rhys are always growing out of its pot.  This year it even stayed green pads.  Another pink bloomer doesn't do as well.  This one likes to sit with the trops in the sun.  8)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"