Author Topic: planting pond plants  (Read 1293 times)

Offline jasert39

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
planting pond plants
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »
My pond is coming along slowly and I would like to be ready to plant some things in there shortly after I am up and running...I think I am going to stay away from lillies this year and try to hardy marginal plants to begin with.  How do I plants these in the pond?  I built a ledge or step for pots to sit on, I saw at Home Depot plastic pond pots with were a firm mesh type material...are they what I need?  Or shouldn't I have holes in them?

What kind of dirt or substrate material should I be using to plant them in?

Any picture out there of this process?

thanks in advance

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: planting pond plants
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:06:57 AM »
You can use those plastic mesh baskets and use pea gravel in them rather than dirt. The real issue with those is they don't take a great deal of weight, they get brittle in about one season and fast growing plants can bust out of them pretty quickly.
One of our local nurseries sells all the different sizes of the black plastic nursery pots. I go there and buy some of the medium flatter type for marginals. I also use the same black oil drain pans that I use for lilies.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:08:19 PM »
I have cattails in a rectangular Rubbermaid storage container that is around 20" X 12" X 8" I think.  I filled the container with heavy clay loam dug out from the construction of the pond and planted the cattails into that.  I covered the top with gravel to keep the soil from being disturbed by the fish poking around in it.  Cattails are heavy feeders and did not do well for me in straight gravel.  Using soil allows me to push slow release pelleted fertilizer into the soil as needed.  The container has also kept them from taking over the pond.

Don't drop the freshly planted container directly into the pond because it can make quite a mess.  To reduce the amount of soil bubbling out of the container and into your pond be sure to slowly lower the container into a tub of water to drive out the air pockets and settle the soil first.

emm
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:20:06 PM by emm »

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:47:56 PM »
jasert,

The mesh pots are junk.  Best to use pots woth no holes at all.  If all you have are the standard nursery plastic pots with holes in the bottom, use a plastic grocery bag in the bottom to seal the holes.  Lay the bag in the bottom and add clay up till the holes are covered, then add your fertilizer (controlled release allows for one time per year fertilizing). add another inch of clay, then pot your plant.  Add some large gravel to the top and submerge in a bucket before putting in the pond.  This method keeps silt/dirt/mud/clay from  leaching out of your pot.  Additionally, the use of clay (Again, sorry, for those tired of my preaching) seals in the fertilizer, which forms a molecular level bond with the clay, keeping the nutrients out of the water column where it would lead to an algae bloom.

Offline flyhawk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:07:26 PM »
i use a rectangular kitchen wash plastic bin that is about 8 inches long, 16 wide, and 5 inches tall

i keep irises and rushes
they are in a mixture of garden soil and black dirt, and grow like crazy
i use burlap and pea gravel over the dirt to keep it from going into the pond and causing an algae bloom
Let Your Spirit Fly

Quote B.Franklin "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"

Zone:4

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:21:37 AM »
I used mesh baskets when I first began ponding.  I realized any submerged pot would allow water in and the mesh was just domething to sell us.  Just nonsense.  Johns nailed it
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Guys, its so much easier and faster to make really thick mud with your soil when you are repotting plants. It has to be really thick, so stiff that you can barely mix it with a little hand shovel. Fill the container with dirt, add a little water, mix, add more water and dirt as needed, mix well and then put your plant in. Top with washed gravel and then lower slowly into the pond. Very little to no escape of soil. No waiting for pots to soak in a bucket or tub. ;)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:20:26 AM »
 I have had awful messes with gravel so I went to the smooth beach stones or the like.  Much easier to pick up and ratrely spill
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"