Author Topic: couple questions before purchasing koi  (Read 1580 times)

Offline roach56

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
couple questions before purchasing koi
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:44:51 AM »
We had 8-10 koi (purchased from pond suppliers in our area) in our 10' x 20' x 4' pond that were wintered two season before losing them winter before last. As far as grade, they were much better looking than wal-mart koi, actually looked like pretty decent quality, but never got huge. I've read they get to be 15 inches or so in a year. Mine were purchased as 5 inches and after two years were approx. 10 inches. I'm getting ready to stock the pond this year and only plan on putting a nice pair or trio and want them to grow large. Water quality was good, so do you guys think it was Koi quality or feed? I used wardley koi, purchased at local pet store.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: couple questions before purchasing koi
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:23:22 AM »
I've had my original big box pet store franchise koi for probably 7 years now and I few them very little (algae and veges are main source of diet).  They didn't grow real fast until this past year when everyone decided to feed the koi everyday with koi pellets.  Then I got water problems  :-\ :P

I've purchased nicer koi from koi experts and they floundered and poof....$$ down the tube.  So much for that experience.  So I guess it all depends.  I've seen some really large and beautiful koi on AP from other members who also have winters.  Maybe they'll give their opinions.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: couple questions before purchasing koi
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:30 PM »
In assessing the future size of koi, you don't have a chance with a retailer. Go to the breeder.

First - look at the parent koi. The likelihood of growing large is much more with bigger parents. And older parents.

Second - look at the siblings of the koi you like. There are always a few "tobis" which grow much faster than their siblings. Usually these fish are not as pretty - because they expend their energy in growth instead of color. It is thought that the tobis get bigger because they have learned the delightful flavor of sibling sushi. Tobis will always be bigger than their siblings, tho - so I think that's not necessarily the only truth about why they are so much bigger.

Third - look around. :) There is so much to learn at a koi farm. Most koi farms are pleasant places to be. Enjoy your trip.

Keeping a big koi for a long time is a task that requires a variety of skills and dedication. They aren't goldfish that you replace every three or four years even if they have been well kept. A good, well kept koi, can live 35 to 50 years, and there are reputable reports of some living much MUCH longer.

My longest koi is approaching 40 inches. My biggest koi is about 40 pounds.
They came from reputable sources, most are from the Dainichi bloodlines, after long discussions with the breeder. :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"