Author Topic: 9 degree higher water temps in coldframes  (Read 968 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
9 degree higher water temps in coldframes
« on: April 08, 2010, 04:36:48 AM »
I never really paid that much attention to the water temps in my cold frames compared to the ponds left uncovered.  I could feel the water was warmer whenever I stuck my hand in.  Well last night on a whim I decided to check & put the probe about 6" below the surface.  Got readings of 68 in my uncovered ponds & 77 in the covered ponds.  Starting to see baby tropical lily pads  @O@ at the surface in the coldframes but no activity on the tropicals that are in the uncovered.

One of these days I hope to be living with a bigger yard so I can have a proper greenhouse  :)  If you've got a greenhouse, would love to see pics.  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: 9 degree higher water temps in coldframes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 05:15:44 AM »
Did you get any of the colder weather that blew in last night?  It is cool down here along the Gulf Coast.  No greenhouse here but I have often wondered what it would be like to build something on top of my lily pond.

Offline Kat

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:20:33 AM »
Yep, it is chilly today & will be tomorrow morning.  Typical spring weather.  That is why I keep the covers on 2 of my tropical ponds until May-mid May.  You should try it as it will extend your growing season.
Kat

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:03:42 AM »
Ohhh!  Now you've got me thinking that I could put up a greenhouse like tent over my pond in the winter.  With the extra heat maybe my lilies could wake up faster in the Spring.  As it is now, the pond is covered heavily with netting (to keep gosh darn  >:(- fish eaters out) and a screen (to keep out dropping juniper tree needles).  Only way to see my fishies and lilies is to pull back the nettings.  Mmmmm......

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:37:10 AM »
PVC pipe comes in very handy to make coldframes/greenhouse type covers.  During the summer it can also be used to hold netting up.  When you've got plastic sheeting attached, be sure to have it firmly anchored as winds can blow them down or away.  It would definitely give your lilies a head start for the season & keeps them growing longer during the autumn months.
Kat

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"