Author Topic: New Filters/Bog Stream and Pets  (Read 1977 times)

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New Filters/Bog Stream and Pets
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:56:58 PM »
From a link on here I constructed 3 Gravel/ sand filters with air compressor cleaning. I created a new stream with bog area at the top. Also a few pets watching the fun.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Filters/Bog Stream and Pets
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 04:02:02 PM »
Forgive the mess around the yard. The pond will be coped this year. The deck expanded around 2 sides. The back side will be completed with cedar and the filters closed in. My pets name are in order of appearance, Peanut, Peanut again, PJ (peanut jr.) his son, Brittle and Malcolm the kitty.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 04:51:39 PM »
Heres some plumbing shots of the filters. Final product will have valves and elbows to go down below the cedar level. I took a couple of the inside while working. Once a week you hit it with air, drain from the top discharge valve, repump hit it again with air and drain till clear. Never have to remove the media or wash.The link I saw this on says you need to add sand now and then. With it being an upflow on everything the sand never settles to the bottom.

This is the water fall on the left. The Middle one is shut off till I hook up my last Gravel/Sand filter

Couple shots of the inside of the filters while working.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 06:40:34 PM »
You've done a lot of work.  The filter system is too complicated for me but I bet you'll get great results.  Love the old fashioned well pump over the bog area.  O0 O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »
Really great setup, you did great. I read the same link and am making the same filter. That is one wonderfull looking pond, I hope mine turns out as well. Cool pets too, meet our herd...

Freeway, the deaf cat..

Loonie, the big, loveable one, mother of the herd...

Siesta time...

Bogard...

Garfield, gone but not forgotten...

A huge squirrel that went on a rampage/killing spree in our neighborhood and had to be put down...

Cat and mouse...

Speaks for itself...

Garfield, gaurding his domain...

Fearlessly chasing off all intruders. that Boxer is grabbing second gear and hauling butt out of our yard. I'm just glad that I had the camera, this one is priceless...

Mom and Dad..

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:23:38 PM by Bullfrog »

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 02:44:42 AM »
The three kitten pictures aren't ours but I had to throw them in just for kicks.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 03:26:30 AM »
Reddad, I'm going to use the same setup. What are you using for the air supply to clean it?  The link I looked at used a 1HP blower but it was a bit too strong.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
Reddad, I'm going to use the same setup. What are you using for the air supply to clean it?  The link I looked at used a 1HP blower but it was a bit too strong.

You might be right but I thought it was a 2 HP on the link that,  WOW I think Greg showed us.  In the link that guy used 2 inch pipe to an all time mounted air feed. I am using 3/4" pvc to a 3/4-1/2 inch tee. All the fingers are 1/2 inch. I am using a garage variety 1.5 hp air compressor. It bubbles really strong but I have not experienced any explosions as the link stated.  I drilled out the top of a 3/4 inch cap and inserted a standeard air compressor link adapter. I found a rubber bushing at lowes and tightened it down with a brass nut. You simply plug the adapters together and let er rip for a bit. Unplug it and flush it. No need to even shut the air valve while draining.
 The thing I like most of all about this new setup is you never have to remove the media. You never have to rinse it. You never have to replace it. As the thread stated you will have to replace some sand now and then. When you blast it with air the sand floates. You will lose some while flushing/draining with the top drain. Its neat while the system is running normally the sand seems to be hovering/always moving a fraction of an inch. I am so glad someone posted this on one of these threads.
 Nice Pets Bullfrog, Thanks Kat I like the pump too.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »
Reddad you got some serious filtering and pipes going on!   :o  Very nice waterfall and huge pond.  Cutie pies are wonderful.  o(:-)

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 05:48:50 PM »
I'm right behind you Reddad. I have a little more hurricane Ike repair to do before I start the pond. Gotta finish one project before you start the next one but I'm glad that you are walking ahead of me as I'm building the same filter. I can learn from you. I am concerned about the amount of air pressure that is needed to churn this fish chit into flushable stuff out of the bottom drain without launching it like a space shuttle.

This filter is rated at 2,000 GPH and when I settle on the size of our pond this will determine the pump volume. If it alone is adequate for the falls through the filter medium, I think I'll pipe the skimmer pump through a bog that also drains into our pond. From what I've read, nothing removes nitrates better than a bog full of plants and I want a bog.

I want to take my time and map all of this out in my mind first. To dig and place all of my pipes and pumps where they need to be before I ever begin the construction of the pond. I want at least a 3" slab under the fall but I want the supply pipe to be there where it is need toreduce the number of turns and friction loss that they result in. before I ever start digging.

Man stuff, don't ya love it?

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
My pond is pushing 6000 gallons. Right now I am running 2 of these sand/gravel filter with one about to go online. I have a staging pond at the top of the falls that these all spill to before going to the falls. I will float parrots feathers and the like in this area to aid in the filtration. The boggy stream is just a little more filtration.

Heres a link to a comparable compressor at 1.5 hp.   www.overstock.com/.../3047800/product.html

The pressure makes it move alot inside but no explosions. I guess it could if you let it go too long without back flushing but that is just a guess. I will take an action shot this weekend to show you the amount of flow. I will try to link a video if I can figure it out. 20 minutes a weekend during season beats the other options.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »
bump for Jay

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"