Author Topic: Spawning Today!  (Read 933 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Spawning Today!
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:32:54 AM »
Poor fishies.  In all the overcrowded fish I have, there seems to be only three females, plus a few female goldfish.  They were positively HOUNDED by the males, in their dash around and around the pond.  Water's a mess. 

I see very few eggs in there.  That's because the males who follow behind the breeding fish pick the newly-laid eggs off the sides of the pond as fast as they're laid.  Luckily, I had put in a spawning mat a few days prior, when I saw the females getting really fat in the rear.  Even so, the males were sucking the eggs off the mat. 

I managed to rescue a few, so we'll see how many end up hatching out and making it to maturity. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Spawning Today!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »
It's so much work for me to tend to the eggs as well as the babies that I  would like to just let nature take its course.  Any survivors get to check their new digs with the turtles  ::) :o  If DD would like to do anything, as I know she will, for the eggs , I relinquish all rights to her!  :D ;)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
Yes, it is a lot of work, and once they finally grow up, it can be hard to find homes for them.  This year, I refused to have the huge 50 gal Rubbermaid tub in the middle of my very small yard, so the spawning mat with its eggs went into a tub I'm using for lilies.  The fry will have fend mostly for themselves in there, with little assistance from me.  I do hope some survive, though.  It's just fun raising babies!

This morning I seperated out a hen and cock from my flock of parakeets, and put them into a breeding cage with a nestbox.  :hug:  Should have babies in 4-5 weeks.

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:59:37 PM »
Well, Julles....why on earth do you want babies if you have a hard time getting rid of them later??  I know, I know...it's fun!  o(

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:20:28 PM »
Watch it! {nono} lol
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"