Author Topic: Pond coming back after pump blowup  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Pond coming back after pump blowup
« on: April 09, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
The lilies are starting to spread out again after I chopped them off below the water to get all the oil off the top of the pond after the pump exploded.  I fertilized them and the water is back up to about 80F so they are starting to spread and bloom.  I hope they hurry up and cover the surface because I've got a ton of string algae growing where the sun hits the bottom and the rocks. 

Here's a bloom from Foxfire

and Wood's Blue Goddess, the leaves belong to Foxfire which is putting out some giant leaves across the pond.

The green leaves belong to Wood's

the pond

We have re-done the whole back garden, taking up the stone pavers and using them to build planter beds, putting concrete for paths and patio.  I started replanting the beds today and one is done in the back, it has 3 levels and is full of different heliconias.   

I need to get more dirt tomorrow so we can continue with the other beds.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond coming back after pump blowup
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:31:33 PM »
Here is another pic of a bee on a pad from Foxfire.  It is hot and dry here now (although very humid) and the bees are all over the pond for water. 

I also tied a couple of local orchids to this log that is half in the water at the back of the pond.  I moved the papyrus to shade it so hopefully the orchid will enjoy the light, the humidity and the wood and attach.  I believe it is an Encyclia cochieata for those who know orchids.

the log

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 05:01:08 AM »
Your gardens are always so beautiful.  The lilies are recovering nicely.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:20:19 AM »
So very pretty.

Offline tugo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 06:42:54 AM »
All are beautiful Jonna. Looking forward for the warmer days. Here I have only 2-3 leaves came up.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 07:23:21 AM »
How long were you w/o a pump?  Where and what did you get as a replacement?

Lookin' good!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »
Everything looks fabulous!  I love the back wall of tropicals.  Your lilies are so nice (jealous!). And 80*!  Oy vey!  What pump problem!

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 04:35:52 PM »
A couple months ago, the horrid Little Giant pump I had in the pond just exploded.  There was a layer of oil across the whole pond.  I cut all the lilies back under the water and overflowed the pond plus mopped with paper towels and newspaper until I got most of the oil out.  Only one Molly died.  I had to throw out all the lava rock from my bog filter as it was an oily mess.  I've not replaced it, I'm using some mats and screen and scrubbies instead.  Mimi was in Calif so I ordered a Pondmaster pump and she brought it back.  I had another little pump and put that on every other day to mix the water up but during that time the no filter and full sun gave me a huge case of string algae.  I'm slowly getting rid of it, I rake it out with a plastic rake and it isn't growing back as fast now that the lilies are starting to shade the pond.    I did lose my nightblooming lily, it was not doing well anyway and cutting the few leaves it had off seems to have killed it.  The papyrus and the canna barely noticed all the oil and they are doing fine.  Just another fun day of ponding. 

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »
That looks awesome...jonna...
I hope you are doing fine..
My parents bought me some water lilies while we were up in dallas, one was marked as hollandia, the other one fabiola and the other one attraction..
My james brydon seems to be struggling...I read somewhere that they like to be in shady places though and mine was in full sun...so I hope it does better now that I moved it..
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Hi Howell, that's cool that the padres got you more lilies  @O@   I didn't know there were lilies that didn't like full sun although you have some powerful sun up there.  Maybe if they were deeper?  So the sun was dissipated a little and the water cooler?  I really have no idea, that's just a guess. 

I've put a kid's plastic pool up on the roof to try and grow out some starts of the lilies I have, so far only one is growing.   :-\   

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »
Looks like Paradise, Jonna.  I think when I retire, I'll go to Mexico, too.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 05:40:21 PM »
yep that was so awesome that they got me those...that is so cool jonna does the water gets almost to the boiling point up on the roof...

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 08:57:51 PM »
The roof pond isn't boiling yet  {:-P;;  but I need to watch it when we get deeper into the hot season.  Then, when the rains start I'll need to watch it so it doesn't overflow.   Plus, I was thinking about hurricanes yesterday and what I'd need to do if one was coming here.  I'd probably have to catch the fish and put everything in the laundry room.  If it's not one thing it's another, right?  At least I don't have to worry about it freezing  @O@

Jules, Mexico is a great place to retire.  Don't let them fool you with all that doom and gloom publicity up there.  I watch the LA news every night and if that was all I knew I'd be afraid to live there. 

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
YEah...you sure have to watch for that....hey jonna if you want as soon as I get some divisions from my hardies I can send you some...or are you just trying to keep tropicals down there/?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"