Author Topic: Drained my pond !!!  (Read 1417 times)

Offline whiskyb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Drained my pond !!!
« on: April 15, 2010, 05:49:48 AM »
I know its not recommended but when we built our pond I put 1" stone on the bottom so as to not see the liner. After going in to wake up my lilies and marginals the other day I realized how much gook is nestled down in between them all. My first plan was to drain the pond down below boot level in the shallow end and remove/clean all the stones. This turned out to be a bigger job than expected so I drained it down some more. Instead of describing every step that followed I shall jump to the end. Fish are out and in a stock tank. Every stone is removed and I am not sure if they are going back. I am cleaning everything and re-filling today. I found some nice driftwood that I am going to anchor on the bottom for some structure.

Are their any other things I should consider at this point, I really do not want to do this again for awhile. Pond size is about 3500 gallon.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Drained my pond !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:25:58 AM »
You have been working hard no doubt.

I have water gardens in stock tanks and I clean them once a year.  I'm getting ready to do this now.  I'm starting with an empty tank and just rotating everything I think.  I'll seperate the nicest babies from last year to rehome thru the local school libraries AR program at the end of the year.  I learned my lesson last year...I cleaned and removed all the fry...and they blessed me with another crop.  The tank I didn't clean didn't have any more.   :-\   ;D   :D 

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:19:46 AM »
Tee hee hee.  When I started reading your thread, this is what came to my mind:  "This turned out to be a bigger job than expected. "

Rocks on the bottom of a pond are a BIG debateable subject.  We have discussed it many times here.  Many professionals discourage it, for the very reasons you encountered - muck, gunk, and dangerous, oxygen-depriving chemicals building up on the bottom of the pond.  Others have been enjoying the esthetics of rocks on the bottom for years with no problems.

I, personally, do not have rocks, and prefer the ease with which I can drag a net along the bottom to scoop up fallen leaves and etc.  It's slippery to walk on, though.  I also am not draining and cleaning my pond this year; the first time in 20 years or so.  There's really no reason to do so, unless you have an issue you are trying to rectify.  It's very hard on the fish, too.

Be sure you have temporary aeration in your tank, while the fish are in temporary quarters.  If they are there very long, they will need filtration, too. 

Keep in mind that the temperature in an in-ground pond won't be the same as in an above-ground stock tank.  That being said, by the time I was finished draining, cleaning, and refilling my pond in the past, the fish were usually in such bad shape that I threw them into the pond, regardless of temperature or water quality, just so they could get some oxygen.

Let us know how it goes.

Offline whiskyb

• Members
  • With us since: 09/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »
I am starting to refill. Drained again this morning to finish cleaning. I have to re-fill when I am not working on it as we are so close to the water that the ground water is actually higher than the bottom of my pond. When I drain it the bottom comes up about a foot from water underneath the liner! I think it helps to regulate the temperature in the winter months. Anyway I took all the stone out except for some bigger ones that I have used to tie down my wood. I am using town chlorinated water as well as some water from a spring fed stream to fill it. Its most likely a 50/50 mix for the 3500 gallon capacity. How long would it take to de-chlorinate or should I add chemicals to speed it up? Oh and yes the fish have oxygen and a small filter. They seem happy going around in circles!

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:49:53 AM »
I have always had rock, but i am slowly getting rid of the really small ones...I have to keep the big ones (I do like them a lot) because if i don't the water here in our area will push up from the ground and cause the liner to swell. I know some of you have a hard time believing that, but well...you have to see it....it's weird.

Anyway, good luck with all that.  I hope you have recovered and are resting and enjoying!

Offline PHYLAL

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:47:53 PM »
I am starting to refill. Drained again this morning to finish cleaning. I have to re-fill when I am not working on it as we are so close to the water that the ground water is actually higher than the bottom of my pond. When I drain it the bottom comes up about a foot from water underneath the liner! I think it helps to regulate the temperature in the winter months. Anyway I took all the stone out except for some bigger ones that I have used to tie down my wood. I am using town chlorinated water as well as some water from a spring fed stream to fill it. Its most likely a 50/50 mix for the 3500 gallon capacity. How long would it take to de-chlorinate or should I add chemicals to speed it up? Oh and yes the fish have oxygen and a small filter. They seem happy going around in circles!

If it is only chlorine, it will dissipate in a few days.  Sadly, however, most municipalities use Chloramine (also known as Monochloramine, Chloramide or Chloroazane).  It is used because it is far more stable and does not dissipate from the water before it reaches consumers. 

This, unfortunately, is a big problem for “ponders”, because it does not dissipate from the water!  Aging the water for a few days removes chlorine but not the more stable Chloramine, which can be neutralised using products available at pet stores.  I do not have municipal  water so have never had the problem and do not know what chemicals are needed.  I am sure one of the other members can help you.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:31:39 PM »
I never knew that, PHYLAL.

Now I am worrying that, every time I do a partial water change (every Sunday), I know the small amount of chlorine won't  hurt the fish.  But I wonder if I am allowing small amounts of Chloromine to build up, and if it will eventually become fatal. 

How does one find out what chemical his city uses to treat the water?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"