Author Topic: Times are changing.......an interesting read!  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Times are changing.......an interesting read!
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:17:07 AM »

Whether these changes are good or bad depends in part on how well we adapt to them.   But, ready or not, here they come!

1.  The Post Office.  Get ready to imagine a world without the post office. They are so deeply in financial trouble that there is probably no way to sustain it long term.  Email, Fed Ex, and UPS have just about wiped out the minimum revenue needed to keep the post office alive. Most of your mail every day is junk mail and bills.

2. The Check. Britain is already laying the groundwork to do away with checks by 2018. It costs the financial system billions of dollars a year to process checks. Plastic cards and online transactions will lead to the eventual demise of the check. This plays right into the death of the post office If you never paid your bills by mail and never received them by mail, the post office would absolutely go out of business.

3. The Newspaper. The younger generation simply doesn't read the newspaper. They certainly don't subscribe to a daily delivered print edition. That may go the way of the milkman and the laundry man. As for reading the paper online, get ready to pay for it. The rise in mobile Internet devices and e-readers has caused all the newspaper and magazine publishers to form an alliance. They have met with Apple, Amazon, and the major cell phone companies to develop a model for paid subscription services.

4. The Book. You say you will never give up the physical book that you hold in your hand and turn the literal pages. I said the same thing about downloading music from iTunes. I wanted my hard copy CD. But I quickly changed my mind when I discovered that I could get albums for half the price without ever leaving home to get the latest music. The same thing will happen with books. You can browse a bookstore online and even read a preview chapter before you buy. And the price is less than half that of a real book. And think of the convenience! Once you start flicking your fingers on the screen instead of the book, you find that you are lost in the story, can't wait to see what happens next, and you forget that you're holding a gadget instead of a book.

5. The Land Line Telephone. Unless you have a large family and make a lot of local calls, you don't need it anymore. Most people keep it simply because they're always had it. But you are paying double charges for that extra service. All the cell phone companies will let you call customers using the same cell provider for no charge against your minutes.

6. Music. This is one of the saddest parts of the change story. The music industry is dying a slow death. Not just because of illegal downloading. It's the lack of innovative new music being given a chance to get to the people who would like to hear it. Greed and corruption is the problem. The record labels and the radio conglomerates simply self-destruction. Over 40% of the music purchased today is "catalog items," meaning traditional music that the public is familiar with. Older established artists. This is also true on the live concert circuit. To explore this fascinating and disturbing topic further, check out the book, "Appetite for Self-Destruction" by Steve Knopper, and the video documentary, "Before the Music Dies."

7. Television. Revenues to the networks are down dramatically. Not just because of the economy. People are watching TV and movies streamed from their computers. And they're playing games and doing all lots of other things that take up the time that used to be spent watching TV. Prime time shows have degenerated down to lower than the lowest common denominator. Cable rates are skyrocketing and commercials run about every 4 minutes and 30 seconds.

8. The "Things" That You Own. Many of the very possessions that we used to own are still in our lives, but we may not actually own them in the future. They may simply reside in "the cloud." Today your computer has a hard drive and you store your pictures, music, movies, and documents. Your software is on a CD or DVD, and you can always re-install it if need be. But all of that is changing. Apple, Microsoft, and Google are all finishing up their latest "cloud services." That means that when you turn on a computer, the Internet will be built into the operating system. So, Windows, Google, and the Mac OS will be tied straight into the Internet. If you click an icon, it will open something in the Internet cloud. If you save something, it will be saved to the cloud. And you may pay a monthly subscription fee to the cloud provider.

In this virtual world, you can access your music or your books, or your whatever from any laptop or handheld device. That's the good news. But, will you actually own any of this "stuff" or will it all be able to disappear at any moment in a big "Poof?" Will most of the things in our lives be disposable and whimsical? It makes you want to run to the closet and pull out that photo album, grab a book from the shelf, or open up a CD case and pull out the insert.

9. Privacy. If there ever was a concept that we can look back on nostalgically, it would be privacy. That's gone. It's been gone for a long time anyway. There are cameras on the street, in most of the buildings, and even built into your computer and cell phone. But you can be sure that 24/7 "They" know who you are and where you are, right down to the GPS coordinates, and the Google Street View. If you buy something, your habit is put into a zillion profiles, and your ads will change to reflect those habits. And "They" will try to get you to buy something else. Again and again.

All we will have that can't be changed are Memories
 :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Times are changing.......an interesting read!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »
your absolutely right!!!!! now see if you can find anyone that cares .

Offline Jerry

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:01:45 AM »
you and me for starters!  I bet many will chime in. O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:12:30 PM »
Well, I know I care. I still have all of the things that are going by the wayside--but we farm on a "family farm" so I know a little about becoming extinct first hand.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
I knew you would.

I offered my wife "Kindle" she declined.  Yes it has many advantges, but you never own the hard copy.  You can't give it to friends.  And it will never be autographed!  I have a few that are.  Some pretty ancient.  I do treasure them.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I don't think I'll miss any of them and the only ones I still have by choice are the TV and storage drives.  I would never want a landline again although I do have one now since they put it in when they put in the high speed internet, it wasn't an option.  We hardly ever use it and when it does ring it takes a minute for me to realize what is ringing.  Cell phones make so much more sense to me, I never want to talk to anyone's house I want to talk to the person. 

In another generation even the memory of using these things will be gone, but they will have value as antiques I guess.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »
I'm sure regular mail will eventually go away. Companies are pushing customers harder to sign up for automatic bill payment. Now some companies are starting to charge customers a service fee if you don't sign up for auto payment. Directv is one of them.
Companies want you to pay your bill online rather than mail it but I'll be damned if I'm going to give them an extra $10.00 to do it!!! I have a loan through Chase and a Visa credit card through CreditOne that both charge a $10.00 fee to pay your bill online. Now if I did that every month that would be an extra $120 x2 out of my pocket every year!! I don't think so!!!! >:(

I still prefer the physical newspaper, magazines and books. I just can't get into reading that much online or by a book reader. I stare at 2 computer monitors 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week. I don't want to come home and read more on a computer! ::) Certain courses for FEMA that we have to do for firefighting are on FEMA's website as PDF files. I print them out and read them because I just can't concentrate to read online so much. It kills my eyes. Enough is enough! ;) :D

Haven't had a landline telephone in 6 years. Oh, and once you quit them, you can't get rid of them. Qwest communications keeps coming up with money they say I owe, including a $49 charge for service at my current residence where I've never even had a landline phone!! Been fighting with them over that one for almost a year now. >:( I think they are so desperate to keep customers they are starting to make stuff up! {nono}

I figure the day will eventually come when TV will no longer be in our house. I can see how fast its evolving and its getting too expensive.

One major problem I have with all of it and today's rapidly moving technology is how quickly it is alienating senior citizens and the disabled. They can't afford this stuff, nor keep up with it. My father is blind due to macular degeneration and its a real eye opener when you realize just how completely dependent he is on me to handle everything for him. He wants a new stereo because he listens to music. I've told him you can't really buy a stereo like he wants anymore. He doesn't understand the concept of an IPOD and furthermore, he couldn't use one anyway because he can't see it. Everything is going to touchscreen and such small buttons and touchpads that he can't feel them or see them to operate them.  >:(- Privacy issues have created some real nightmares for me too with trying to handle his personal matters for him. I just simply don't have the time to jump through all the hoops that places want you to. >:(-

Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »
I was talking to my neighbor about the existence of the Post Office just this morning.  I told my neighbor it would be cheaper for the U.S. government to purchase a computer for every computerless household and tell people to do all their communications/bills etc. over the Internet than to continue to fund the Postal Service.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:45:28 PM »
Shanna, you got it right!  We just got the Jitterbug cell phone.

3 times louder and nice easy dialing.  It is designed for older people I think.
When you call them you speak with a super bright and courteous person.

Mikey: good idea!  I always wondered if we had just given the money to the Vietnamese if it would have been a lot cheaper then the dumb war

2 Vetts, see, they do care. O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:52:56 AM »
I agree with you Shanna on every point.  I hate being 'made' to do something just because everybody else is doing it.  I'm not a hoop jumper--it could be a personality flaw since I would go out of my way to make sure I do things that would be simpler if I did it "online".... lol  I despise companies wanting access to my checking account to do the automatic bill pay.  They will overdraw you quicker that 'jumpin' jack flash' and the banks get rich when they do, charging $25 to $30 dollars for EACH overdraw.  I want control over what, how, and when I pay my bills thanks, and if that's not good enough, well then, I'll drop 'em. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 08:20:41 AM »
I was a passenger in a friend's car recently, and this experience really brought it all home for me. She was so distracted with her gadgets! She was steering with her knee- looking at the GPS- and surfing the web on the Iphone all at the same time. Even had time to file her nails and talk on the phone.

I thought I was going to die!

I'll never give up my books... no way no how.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »
I learned my lesson on the automatic bill pay a long time ago.  {nono} Nope, I won't do auto pay. It basically gives them free rein to bill you for just about anything they want to. >:(-
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »
I do automatic bill pay through Quicken but I still remain in control because not only do I see what I am paying but I also control what and when I am paying.  I don't do automatic bill through credit cards.  My wife mistakenly authorized automatic bill pay once with a virus protection plan for our computers and I had a dickens of a time undoing it.....  Never again.....

I have to admit I have this deep fear that some whiz-kid or unfriendly nation will someday come up with a dooms-day hacking virus that is able to clear out all savings and bank accounts and the only people with money will be those with it stuffed in their mattresses.......  What was that movie with Robert Redford where such a device existed?

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 11:28:07 AM »
I whole heartedly agreed.  Met a friend the other day and she asked this a few minutes into the conversation.

Friend: "Are you on facebook or twitter?"
Me:  "No, I actually enjoy talking to friends face to face".
Friend: "Oh, you just don't know how much you are missing out.  How do you get in touch with friends or family in another state or country?"
Me:  "I pick up the phone and call them.  I like talking to them and hear their voice."
Friend:  "Oh, I text on my cell phone more than I talk using it".
Me:  "Baffled and speechless"

Sigh...  Guess I'm really outdated that I don't have an account on Facebook, twitter, etc.  I also like to talk using cell phone instead of texting.  But I do pay bills online though...

Kuan

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »
NOT my BOOKS!!!!  I'd die!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 07:51:12 AM »
Hmmm. Still have land line, I guess because of habit and package deal with phone, TV and internet. But I suppose when things change, so will I. Nothing in life is forever or without change. Takes more energy to fight it than go with the flow and learn new things. Where were all ov you 15 years ago with your ponds?? Certainly not chatting with me on a computer like we do now.

Automatic payments---have had anything setup on automatic payment since 7 years ago when we went to Alaska and was gone for 6 weeks without computer. I have had no problems with anybody debiting my account for anything other than a scheduled payment. Just because you use a paper check doesn't mean it is set in cement that the check will be processed for the amount intended. You forget that in order for your check to be processed at all, it has to be manually imprinted for the equipment to read and process. So mistakes can still happen. There will be more mistakes made from something handled manually than something handled by a piece of equipment. So either way, you should have overdraft protection of some sort to protect yourself from a mistake you made or somebody else makes. Also, seeing we are all so computer proficient, we have no excuse to not periodically check our accounts and quickly pan through and make sure stuff is being processed for the correct amount. I don't mean only once a month either. I quickly look at mine frequently and have two to keep track of. I laso have made up a list of what gets paid and when and for how much. The second account is the rental one that separates the deposits from tenants and expenses from our personal account. I pay no fees for any automatic payments

Bill pay---Bills that come outside of the automatic paid ones are paid through my bill pay service. I have never had a problem with them making a mitake either.  And there is no fee  for that service through my bank, Chase.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 02:56:59 PM »
We pay the bills online. We still have a landline but it is normally someone that could not get us on our cell or someone I did not want to talk to anyhow. Music is still free if you know someone to get it from.
 I saw a show last night on how the porn industry is being devastated by the internet. They are on the verge of offering all porn for free with advertisers paying the bill. With all the cameras and computers free porn is killing the industry. anyone with a camera is now considered a producer or publisher if they chose.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 03:12:33 PM »
Thanks for the info Esther. I moved from Florida to Indiana 6 years ago. I spent the previous 20 years in Florida. Florida had no state taxes. Our first 3 years here we had HR Block do our taxes. We then got a letter in the mail. Our tax return was garnished. ???? wth why? we investigated only to find out we had not paid state taxes. I had no clue. I know it sounds stupid but it happened. We made arragements with the government to which we would pay 100 bucks a month until fixed. Somewhere along the line at the exact time 9 bills got paid the IRS took our money. This sent us into a huge spiral downward to which our electric  cable and car payments  were not paid. We are trying to dig out of this still. The department of revenue person that we were dealing with said she made a mistake and we are having a tough time getting them to answer our calls or emails and adjust our monies to pay our overdraft charges that they caused. We had an agreement and we were upholding it. seems this girl realized she screwed up and has change status' and makes it hard for the computer people to understand what happened. No paper trail to go by and no taped conversations. The internet is great but there are loopholes that can mess someone up.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »
Thanks for the info Esther. I moved from Florida to Indiana 6 years ago. I spent the previous 20 years in Florida. Florida had no state taxes. Our first 3 years here we had HR Block do our taxes. We then got a letter in the mail. Our tax return was garnished. ???? wth why? we investigated only to find out we had not paid state taxes. I had no clue. I know it sounds stupid but it happened. We made arragements with the government to which we would pay 100 bucks a month until fixed. Somewhere along the line at the exact time 9 bills got paid the IRS took our money. This sent us into a huge spiral downward to which our electric  cable and car payments  were not paid. We are trying to dig out of this still. The department of revenue person that we were dealing with said she made a mistake and we are having a tough time getting them to answer our calls or emails and adjust our monies to pay our overdraft charges that they caused. We had an agreement and we were upholding it. seems this girl realized she screwed up and has change status' and makes it hard for the computer people to understand what happened. No paper trail to go by and no taped conversations. The internet is great but there are loopholes that can mess someone up.

And by took our money I meant they took all of it and disregarded the deal and payment schedule we had made.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 10:43:13 AM »
Oh, I'm not saying it can't happen---never would say that. I spent about 2 years starting in 1960 working for a bank, running what was then known as a "proof machine". It/I---proved the deposits and sorted the checks to start them on their way back to the bank on which they were written. Then I was a teller for about 20 years. Then I was customer service and assistant manager and private banker for about 20 years. I have dealt with many errors down though  the years and also heard stories that rotted my sox, about problems caused by the banks. But I'd guess that maybe 90% of the problems were caused by a customer.  But what we forget about is that if somebody else has an account number and the routing number of your bank, THEY, meaning a person does it, "can" get into your account with their equipment. They can get it from your check. This type of thing cannot be blamed on a piece of inanimate equipment making a mistake. I'm just gonna step out there and say that a computer can't make a mistake. But I'm not computer literate as you know. But from what I understand of it, the computer will only do what it is programmed to do by a person. So the blame fully falls on somebody when a mistake happens. That somebody might have been me as a customer or me as an employee. The difference in the case where you are behind on some sort of payment, is that the company or your bank "very likely" has the legal right to debit your account for whatever you truly owe them at that point. They typically won't intentionally take something you don't owe them.

I do know for a fact that the bank fine print lingo says (back when I worked for Chase) that if you are delinquent on your payment, at a certain point, they have the right to deduct those funds from any account that has the money and has a plus balance with your name on it. So your son or mother may have your name on their checking or savings and if someone at the bank discovers it, they can and do at times just pull the money without any warning. The bank also has the right to demand the full amount of the loan (call the loan) at any time they want. Read the fine print of your loan. Maybe this stuff isn't written in the fine print any more. It has been 6 years now since I've retired.

As for problems generated by the tax person----I don't know the legality of it but it seems to me if my accountant messed up my IRS documents and I was fined, the accountant would be liable. But on the other hand, he gives me a copy of everything he files for me and it is my duty to look it over and decide if it is correct. Yah, I know. I do look it over but have no idea if he did it right. That is why I pay him to do it. Right?? I think I'd be on the doorstep the next day and do some turkey talking if that happened to me.

Did you get fined for not filing the state thingy?? That, the tax person should have paid I think. As for the rest, I know it happens that they take money they weren't authorized but like you say, you can't prove anything. I try to document phone calls like that with names and dates and times hoping it sounds like I know what I'm talking about if anything does go wrong. But I probably wouldn't be able to find the document when I needed it if it happened to me.

Reddad, it is plenty crumby that it happened to you. Don't get me wrong, I feel your pain and wish it would be cleared up. If you could only get somebody on your side to listen to you both at the bank, the accounting company and the state, Yah, I know, I 'm dreaming again. I hope you can find somebody to go to bat for you. At the bank, I did have the authority to do refunds but then again, there go the profits when I did that. And I had to answer to my boss why I was giving away all this money. I'm so glad to be out of that position finally. I was always a sucker for a sob story.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"