Author Topic: string algae  (Read 1200 times)

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
string algae
« on: May 01, 2010, 06:27:49 AM »
I need help with string algae in my pond.  I've never had it come on like this before. I had to drain most of the water this spring and clean out dirt and fish waste.  It had been collecting for several years in a small area.  My pump and filter were getting over worked and clogged up at times.  But, since I've done this, I have string algae by the gobs in the pond.  I bought a product called Algaway 5.4.  It will not hurt fish or plants.  I put some into the waterfall and it cleared all of that up in days.  But, it isn't helping me out in the pond.  I don't know how much to use.  How can I calculate the gallons in my pond water?  I have scrubbed off excess.  I never had this problem when I first started my pond up.  I don't like using chemicals because other animals come for drinks at the pond and, even though it says not harmful to fish, I don't know about the rest of the critters coming in.  I appreciate any help someone has to offer.  Jax
Jax

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: string algae
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:46:33 AM »
I think this year is particularly bad for string algae....however, I have never used any chemicals myself, so can't help you there.  Others here will chime in I am sure.

For me, I just go out on Saturday morning and commune with the fishies while I use my trusy toilet brush....it takes me maybe 20 min and it's all gone and looks lovely.  It messes up the water but only for about an hour and it's all clear again.  The fish love it when I do that...they get to eat stuff that comes down the waterfall.

I know it seem unsightly, but it's really just part of the natural cycle of things.  When you get enough cover on the water (when everything starts growing again) it will be less and less.  Right now in mine it's mostly all in the waterfall but some in the water.  The more coverage/shade the less algae.

I throw mounds of it in the flower bed...flowers love it.  I wish I had a miracle cure for you (I'd be rich!) but I don't.  Try not to stess too much about it.....get off what you can and enjoy the rest!

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 11:01:28 AM »
Oops, I made my post before I saw this.

Bad year for me with the stuff, too.

Offline jax

• Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 02:06:21 PM »
Thanks for your post PondJoy.  You are right, it is not fun to look at when you work hard to keep the pond clear and the containers for plants scrubbed clean.  I have iris that are getting close to blooming but no other plants.  Too early for that here.  I usually cover my pond in the winter with a piece of sheeting to give the fish a place to hide under.  Would it work to kill off the algae if blocked off the sunshine for awhile?  If that would work, it would by me time to get my water lettuce and lilies going, providing cover for the fish and then I could take the sheeting off once more.  I don't know how to calculate how many gallons of water in my pond to know how much algae killer to put in.  Other than scrubbing it, do you know anything else I might try.  Jax
Jax

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:33:32 AM »
I do know that if you cover the surface so there is no light, the algae won't survive....I have put large pieces of styrofoam on the surface in the past when I was trying to get the plant life to expand....

I have never used algae killer....too many horror stories that I have read....however others have used it with success...I just don't use chemicals.  Shade does the trick for me.

Good luck with whatever you do.. 

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 05:42:32 AM »
PondJoy - You float pieces of styrofoam?  I saw my local pond shop doing this and was wondering why...?  Interesting!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 05:49:10 AM »
String algae was never a big problem for me until this year.  I know it will pass.
Thanks to the posts above I will get more plants into the pond today,  I always thought it was cyclical, but I feel now it just had to do with too much sun on the surface
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"