Author Topic: Orange Wakin Turning Black or some kind of infection?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline nmpondguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • NM Ponguy's Watergarden Retreat
Orange Wakin Turning Black or some kind of infection?
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:04:11 AM »
Now that it's warm enough to start working around the pond, I noticed that one of my Wakin has developed black spots.  At first i thought it may be an infection of some type, but now I'm not so sure. 

This previously all orange fish now has black coloration on the edges of many scales and on the trailling edge of its tail. I beleive this fish was born two years ago. At that time all possible parents were red and white or all white.  If this is normal (though strange looking) color development, where did the black come from?

I notice in the photos, that another previusly all orange fish is developing black on the tail, but the other red and white fish don't show any black, so I'm thinking it's not an infection.  What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:01:43 AM by nmpondguy »

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Wakin Turning Black or some kind of infection?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 10:07:58 AM »
I think this is the answer you are looking for. I had a fish that had this once, a few years ago. It's very unsightly, but the blackening actually means that the skin is healing. Have you checked you ammonia level? It will eventually go away. It takes a while depending on the severity.

http://www.koivet.com/a_blackening_black_koi_goldfish.html

Offline nmpondguy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:54:51 AM »
Well, I haven't checked ammonia levels in a while.  Just found my Laguna Master Test Kit and see that it expired 12/31/2008.  So I guess I need to go buy a new one. Still I wonder why all of my fish didn't have the same reaction...  Any way, if that is the problem, I'm glad to read that the black color is temporary and only comes after healing begins.   

Thanks Pa Nancy,

Phil aka nmpondguy

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:19:26 AM »
I was told the same thing about goldies that get black on them.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 01:54:55 PM »
I wondered why too that just one fish was affected, but it can also come from a trauma, banging on a rock, plant pot.

I had a female last year have it for a while. She was banged around unmercifully on the rocks along the top of the pond. Perhaps that's what happened to the first fish. I don't know. It was a female also, so it's possible she was banged around as well.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »
I'm not convinced that's the answer.  The thing is, Pond Guy's fish has the black only on the edges of its scales and the edge of its tail fin.  In the KoiVet link, the black seems to be over the entire body of the fish.

Just keep track of him, Pond Guy, and let us know how he does.  Otherwise, he's healthy, right? 

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:02:18 AM »
Julles ???? Look at the pics closer. Esp the second and last ones. The black is all over the body of the fish.

My fish also had the greatest concentration of black on the tips of the fins. I'm guessing because the flesh is thinner there, thus burning it more easily.

Offline nmpondguy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:55:19 AM »
Yes, he appears to be healthy other than the color change.  I guess time will tell...  If anything changes in coming weeks, I'll let you know.

Thanks all.

Phil

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »
I would say they are ammonia burns, I've had them on my fish also....takes just a good spike and they will show up sometimes a week after the fact,  but will return to normal.   You may check your ammonia and it could be normal but the color is there, give it a week should be gone.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"