Author Topic: New to the site  (Read 1524 times)

Offline indianapond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New to the site
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:45:40 AM »
Hello Everyone, how are you? I am new to the site, looking to learn new ideas, tips, and ways to filter my pond.
I just recently purchased a new home that has a pond, pretty good size pond. Definitely one of the reasons that I purchased the home was for the pond. The pond is stocked with bass, bluegill, and catfish. My problem is that I am having algae, tons of algae, and it is not even summer yet. Does anyone have any ideas for filtering algae out of a pond. I know some algae is good for fish and the pond environment, but this pond is overloaded with algae, laugh.
Someone mentioned uv or a gravity pump...Any ideas? Thanks.

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New to the site
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:47 AM »
I'm betting that your pond is so big that any pond experience I have would not apply. Others will be happy to help you, but you will need to provide more information. Things that might be helpful.

How big is your pond?
How deep?
This sounds like a "farm" pond as opposed to a "garden" pond, is it fed by a spring, creek or rainfall?
does it have any water movement or pump of any kind?
What type of algae are you having problems with, green water, green slime/pond scum?
Are there any plants in the pond?
Bryan

Offline bulldog

• Members
  • With us since: 08/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »
Welcome I am from IN. to live in Richmond just need some more info on the size and what else was said wecome agine .

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:16:01 AM »
Hi Indiana Pond, and welcome!

I suggest you start a new thread about the algae, with the words "Algae Problem" in the title, so people will see it and respond to help you.  Also, we have discussed this many times before, so you could do a search and see if you come up with some answers.

Algae doesn't hurt your fish, but it is unattractive.  I got rid of mine by adding a filter, shade, and plants.  Algae comes from an imbalance of too much food (amonia and nitrogen, from fish waste) plus sunlight.  So, shading the pond a bit cuts down on sun, and a filter removes some of the toxins and so do underwater plants (anachras, hornwort, etc.)  If you pond is large, you're going to have a tough time.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:50:52 AM »
are we talking an earth pond? or is it a huge lined?......
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 06:03:32 AM »
  :welcome:  to the forum!  What area of Indiana?  I am near Terre Haute.

Our farm ponds seem to cycle with algae.  Of course they are fed by runoff from farm fields and hard telling what all fertilizers they get, other nasty stuff too.  :'(  I'd say let nature take its course on the big pond and put in a watergarden that you can keep clean and algae free!!!  ;)

Got any pictures?  We love pictures.  o(

Karen

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:03:45 AM »
Welcome as well!  Always good to have another 'Hoosier' on the forum.  I'm just south of Indianapolis.
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"