Author Topic: dividing papyrus  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
dividing papyrus
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »
It's been less than a year since we last divided the papyrus but both types had moved out of the pots and were enormous.  We got motivated yesterday because a friend is putting in a new pond and we told her she could have some papyrus and fish on Sunday.  So, Saturday morning we got to it.  Because it had broken a couple of other pots, I have both of them in concrete pots now.  It helps keep them from blowing over when there is wind as well.  Let me tell you though, huffing those concrete pots full of roots and water up and out of the pond is not easy. 

Then we couldn't get them out of the pots they were wedged in there so tightly.  Before, the pot was cracked and we could pull it off but... these are concrete.  It took Mimi slicing for half an hour and then both of us pulling the opposite direction and wiggling it and rolling it, it was hard.  We got it done though, cut both in half and repotted them with some fertilizer and heavy soil.  I considered not putting in the fert and hoping they wouldn't grow as fast but it didn't seem right.

We were going to give her some of the Canna too but we couldn't get the one I wanted to divide out of the pond.  It was originally in a plastic pot that I wedged down between a couple of rocks that are concreted into the side of the pond.  It has completely jumped the pot now and grown around the rocks and we just couldn't get it out.  I couldn't even feel the pot under the mass of roots down there. So, we chopped off all the old canes and moved the rocks we could move so it has more room and left it.  It blooms all year and I didn't want to destroy it getting it out which seemed the only option.   

Our friend came by and we had two huge garbage bags with enormous chunks in each.  She was thrilled.  I'm happy that they look more controlled and sedate now.  I wonder how long that will last. 

Here is the pond before the division.  The Canna I wanted to divide is the one on the left.

Here's one of the pots finally out of the pond.  There was a bunch of lava rock in there and it kept us from using the saw.  Mimi is working it out of the roots.

Trying to saw around the outside to get the roots that are glued to the concrete.

Now the pry bar.

We had some help

Success!!

The second one was easier although it was just as hard to get it out of the pond the root ball came out with a lot less hassle. 

Here's a pic with the smaller sections back in the pond and the Canna opened up.   I think we need to do this more often so it isn't so tough.

I've got another 15 bags of dirt coming tomorrow morning and 2 guys to haul and plant.  I hope to have the new garden pretty much planted after tomorrow. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: dividing papyrus
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:51:38 AM »
Pond and plants look gorgeous!  I don't know how you pulled those suckers out of there weighing what they did.  I probably would have just dropped the pot and said the heck with it.  I love the look of the papyrus and I'm sure your cat was a big help:  they always are when you have something long and stringy moving around right in front of their paws.... :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 05:28:49 AM »
Looks good, Jonna. Is that Umbrella plant and Egyptian Papyrus?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 06:23:27 AM »
Yea, I just call them both papyrus but I think you are right and one is an umbrella plant.  I have some dwarf ones up on the roof in the kiddie pool, one of these days I'll find the perfect pot for them. 

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:25:11 AM »
Wonderful pictures of a job well done! O0
Your pond is so very pretty!!!

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:34:44 AM »
Wow, that sucker was huge!  I didn't realize your pond was so deep, but you can tell with the plant next to Mimi.  Very cute kitty - I assume (s)he is your job supervisor as mine are?  I was thinking about getting one for my newly expanded pond, but seeing your efforts, I may have to re-think the papyrus!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 12:55:35 PM »
That is one big job you had there!  I got rid of all my papyrus and umbrella plants because I couldn't keep up with the "thinning" out.  The pond wall is absolutely the perfect backdrop for your pond and the fancy plants.  Looking fabulous!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »
I does look fabulous. I was just looking at my cyperus and papyrus in the greenhouse and dreading dividing them and they are nowhere near as big and lush as yours. What a job.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 02:40:37 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, I pulled a clump of dwarf umbrella palm out of the bog after leaving it in for 4 years.  Never again.  Divide yearly, at least.  And have lots of dynamite on hand... @O@

Steve

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 03:20:50 PM »
Your plants are looking lovely... O0
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 06:31:30 AM »
I don't have that problem in Kansas. They don't like our winters so have to get new one's each year. Really want a greenhouse or basement to overwinter plants.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »
A couple of clippings will fill out a 1 gallon pot before summer's end here.  That was a lot of hard work with lots of patience.  I'm glad I use plastic pots so I can cut them to get the plant out if necessary.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 10:12:24 AM »
My friend just successfully overwintered her dwarf cyperus (umbrella grass) that I had given her in her living room.

She put it in a cheap pot that did not have any drain holes and put it in her west window.

I didn't think it would live because our winters are so cloudy and gray but it did. It stretched a bit but is green and healthy otherwise.

My papyrus (King Tut dwarf and full size) and cyperus (dwarf and full size) in the greenhouse lived but have a lot of stretched and brown growth. I so need a high pressure sodium light for the greenhouse.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 05:45:19 AM »
I got a very pleasant surprise last week. My umbrella plant sent a shoot out of the pot. It's coming back! @O@ @O@
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"