Author Topic: Bloated fish....what is this problem?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bloated fish....what is this problem?
« on: May 21, 2010, 07:56:52 AM »
I have some of the nicest shubunkins and comets in my pond.  They are nearly the size of a koi.  But, my one female appears to have a problem.  Her left side is bloated and she is listing in the water in that direction.  She has been bloated for sometime now, but equal in size the whole way around.   I thought it might be eggs but there are no signs in the pond she was released any or seen any action from the males.  Do you know what this condition is and can I help her in any way.  Thanks all.   Jax
Jax

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bloated fish....what is this problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:14:26 AM »
I forget but it's a disease that is almost impossible to treat. I think it's called swim bladder disease. I had that once. Evidently=====WAIT I MEAN I HAD A FISH WITH IT!!!!! OK, now where was I? OK fish with disease. he couldn't stay down, would eat, swam funny of course, but seemed happy and not sick. But eventually I UMM euthanized him by putting him in a plastic bag filled with pond water and put it in the freezer. Figured if I left him in the pond, he'd be easy pickings for the heron and didn't want to encourage big bird.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:16:58 AM »
Are the scales kinda protruding out? Sorta looks like a pine cone? It is called Pine Coning, and it is usually fatal. It means the kidneys have shut down. Usually caused by a virus. Could of been injured, could be water quality.

If not could just be a tumor. I had to put an older fish down this week for the same reason.  :'(  Her one side especially was protruding way out. Her back was going crooked it stuck out so.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:58:48 AM »
Esther, your fish would have been a fish puff. lol

Nancy, it's not "Pine Coning," it's called Dropsy and it is rare to cure it in a fish.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
NO wait, I have dropsy I think. At least I drop stuff a lot.

They call it pine coning sometimes because the scales stick out seeing the fish is bloated and it kinda looks like a pine cone.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »
Yep I've heard it called both...and it is usually fatal....I'm guessing its either that or a tumor...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 07:12:26 PM »
Dropsy is usually bilaterally symmetrical. The kidneys fail and the fish can't maintain osmotic balance - which results in a bloating all over - which causes the scales to stick out until it looks like a pinecone.

A one sided swelling is almost always a tumor. But it could be an abscess.

Either way, it will either die or live, and there is very little you can do.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"