Author Topic: How to heat greenhouse pond?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
How to heat greenhouse pond?
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:59:51 AM »
I need ideas on heating greenhouse pond. It is 6' x 2' x 1' deep, maybe a bit deeper, I think Bob dug down below the 2 x 12, guess I need to measure to check for sure to know gallons. He insulated the wood with styrofoam sheets and put one under the liner too. Then laid the rubber liner in.

I'm not sure if I should be using an aquarium heater or stock tank heater? I cannot afford the fancy heater Sean has for sure!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: How to heat greenhouse pond?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 11:03:43 AM »
Hi LeeAnne,

I used the 300 watt aquarium heaters for several years before getting the big gun and they worked just fine.

If you can find a titanium aquarium heater, it will be more durable than the glass ones for outside use and I dont think that they are any more expensive. Try looking at Harbor Freight to see if they have anything simmilar.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 11:08:56 AM »
Thanks
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 11:13:10 AM »
I use a 200 watt aquarium heater in one tank and an old waterbed heater in the other. I really like the waterbed heater because the temp stays right on. I lay the heater under a liner in the tub. This is my 4th season using it without any problems.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 11:38:53 AM »
LeeAnn are you heating the gh? if so the water should be warm enough to over winter trop. lilies just fine without heating the water...I try to keep the gh at least 60 degrees but on really cold nights the gh will drop down to about 50....water holds heat and will release it at night which also helps to heat the gh during the night...any ways if you keep your temps like I do the lilies will go semi-dormant thru the winter....I have lost very few like this...and the ones I lost were really puney going into the winter....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LilithFair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 11:56:57 AM »
I am with Lawanna. If you are able to keep the ambient air temp in the greenhouse warm, you don't need to heat the water. I keep my greenhouse between 55-60F at night and have never had to heat the water features. I grow some fairly tropical aquatic aroids in there too, they never suffer. IMO you'd be wasting electricity.

Offline louis

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 06:17:10 AM »
I use a 200 watt aquarium heater in one tank and an old waterbed heater in the other. I really like the waterbed heater because the temp stays right on. I lay the heater under a liner in the tub. This is my 4th season using it without any problems.

Maryvonne

hi mary,
a word of warning, i tried the waterbed heaters and almost burned the house down. luckly i was having breakfast, looking into the greenhouse when the heater literally excploded and the liner of the pond started to melt.

they were not designed for all that pressure of the water.  fair warning.

lou

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »
Good morning LeeAnn, over coffee this morning Maryvonne started shooting some fire hazard and electrical safety questions at me. Since this is not our normal conversation fair since my retirement I thought this to be extremely unusual especially since we had lots to talk about.... e.g. the latest snowfall! Hopefully this note will provide some insite into using a waterbed heater as a small pond heat source.To keep the legal beagles at bay this is my personal comment and the writer accepts no liability of any form or fashion. I believe that you know my background so you can be the judge of the following statements .

Pete

The use of a water bed heater properly installed with an approved heater control designed for the pad can be used as a supplemental heating device if reasonable percautions are taken. It should be understood that the UL and CSA approvals are specific to the application and manufacture's installation instructions, any other use is technically not approved. Now that you are suitibly aware here is the skinny.

Water bed heaters depend on very fast heat transference from the pad to the water so it is important to have enough water mass ontop of the pad to made a good physical connection between the membrane (pond liner) and the pad as possible.Do not insulate between the pond liner and the heating pad. Most manufacturers recommend 8" of water on the pad before turning on the pad. It is important that you never place anything on the pad that provides point loading on the pad and excludes the water medium from the pad since it will create a hot spot and the resulting heat will cause premature failure of the pad. Do not place pots, bricks or supports directly on the pad, build support structure outboard of the pad always keeping the pad clear. A point worth mentioning is the capillary tube for the control, try to keep it 4" away from the heater and edges of your pond to keep the temperature constant. As with any pond or pool installation it is very important that the electrical system supplying it be suitable for the load and specifc application.
Please ensure that you have enough capacity, although these water garden loads are small they tend to add up and create all sorts of problems especially when you add lights and pumps. Anything that you connect that goes into your pond should be feed through a GFCI breaker to to eliminate / reduce electrocution hazards.

If you have any further questions PM Maryvonne.

Pete ( retired and inspired)
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 04:04:19 PM »
Thanks Peter, appreciate it. I had a waterbed for many years, this pond is much smaller and has much less water in it than it did. DH will instead a GFI when he gets around to running the electrical. Greenhouse is currently not heated. Turned on a ceramic portable heater last night on an electric cord but it may be too late for most of the plants. Got really cold here without much warning.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 06:23:06 PM »
Hey, Leanne, I'm also in USDA zone 8, but in No CA (50 miles no of SF)
  I'm in my first year of ponding and GH ing!
  I noticed some of my pond plants turning brown and the the water hyacinths going yukky.
  I composted the yukky hyacinths and put the umbrella palm and unicorn grass in the greenhouse along with some new hyacinth. All have new growth!
  My cat tails still look bad, but I'll stick them in there as well. I see some new growth peeking though!
  My 6 fish seem to be doing fine without food (-50*), but I do sprinkle a little bit on the warmer days. It's hard to not feed them!
  I'm heading out tomorrow to get a bunch of free callalillies from freecycle.com  to plant around the pond.
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"