Author Topic: Lotus, Lilies and Bog Plants  (Read 1505 times)

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lotus, Lilies and Bog Plants
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »
The lotus photo was taken Wednesday at the wetlands exhibit at the  Museum of Life & Science in Durham, NC. 

The lilies are in one of my ponds.  All of these particular lilies are "unnamed pinks" from Perry's Watergardens. 

The bog plant blooms are a first for me.  Last year I built a small bog by my ponds and to my surprise, not only did my plants survive the worst winter we have had in 100 years, but they bloomed @O@

Ruth 
Ruth

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lotus, Lilies and Bog Plants
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:08:36 PM »
love the sea of lotus blooms O0
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 11:39:26 PM »
I can't believe all those lotus flowers!  Wow!  Now how can I say I have a lily pond when I don't even have a bloom coming up yet!?!  Lucky you!  Very nice bog plants too.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 05:41:59 AM »
Beautiful!!  What are those last two photos of--the tall flowers on the stalks?  Very unusual, I like!   8-)~
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »
What a great lotus pond! Your lily is also doing great. I also am curious as to the bog plants names.

Offline rdrboone

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 08:02:12 AM »
The red flower is a pitcher plant.  Sorry, I do not know it's name.  I bought it a WallyWorld for $6.00 and it was only labeled red pitcher plant.  Same for the yellow one.   Now that I know they will grow for me here, I will try to get over to Niche Gardens in Chapel Hill, NC and get some named hybrids.  Carnivorous plants are one of their specialties.  Their bog plants are more expensive than $6.00.  Also, The NC Botanical Gardens in Chapel Hill has some in their plant sales sometimes.

I wish I could take credit for the lotus pond, but the pond is at the Museum of Life & Science in Durham, NC.  I WOULD DEARLY LOVE TO HAVE A POND LIKE THAT. o(:-)

Ruth
Ruth

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 08:06:16 AM »
 ;D Ruth, we wwould all love to have a lotus pond like that! Thanks for the pic.
I thought that those were pitcher plants. I had some a few years ago and I lost them. I never got the bog set up properly I guess, but I thought they were really neat plants, and keep threatening myself to do them again. Your pics are making me want to try again. they look great!

Offline rdrboone

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »
Thanks.

Ruth
Ruth

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »
What a beautiful lotus picture.
Love the pitcher plants too, I have never had one.

Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"