Author Topic: some other pics I took today  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
some other pics I took today
« on: June 01, 2010, 03:55:26 PM »
I was snapping pics of a lot of the plants today, I try to do that once a month so I can see how they are growing. 

This is an Allagoptera arenaria that I've had for over a year in a pot on the terrace in light but no sun.  It's a Brazilian sand palm, it grew slowly where it was but stayed healthy.  Once we got the hardscape in the yard I had it hauled out by the pool in full sun.  I've watered and fed it more and it is doing really well, several new fronds are up.  I love the curly fronds and drooping shape.

Aloe Vera in an old chicken pot with the Sansevieria hahni behind it. 

Clitoria ternatea bloom.  This poor vine has been in a nursery bag for over a year on the terrace.  It even bloomed its heart out in that little bag.  I finally got it in the ground and it is going crazy.  Unfortunately, the support for it to climb the wall is not in yet so it is piling up on the ground and trying to strangle one of the hibiscus.  When they add the bamboo to the top of the wall I will have some bamboo stakes for it to climb.  I'm hoping it will cover the top of the wall with blooms.

I love the goofy grin on this fish pot. Sadly, everything I've put in it has died.  I don't think it drains very well and doesn't dry out fast because of the glaze, I'm hoping this unknown philodendron will do well there.

After being cut back, pulled out of the ground, put back in a different place, this heliconia is sending up a new bud.   @O@

I've no idea what this plant is.  My friend gave me a cutting and she can't remember what it is either.  It's been in a small pot for months so I put it out in the yard to see what it becomes.  I like the color of the foliage. 

This elephant foot or Nolina recurvata has grown over a foot in the last 6 months. 

Someone posted a pic of their shrimp plant recently, here's the one I have.  I just got it and I'm a little concerned that it needs less sun.  It's in full sun here and our sun is pretty brutal this time of year.  I'm watching it, so far it looks fine but if it starts getting burnt I'll move it to just half a day sun. 

One of my plecos eating his zucchini in the pond. 

the outside pond today

and where you'll find me sitting in the heat of the day - every hour if I'm out there working in the garden.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: some other pics I took today
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
Nice plants

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
Jonna, it that plant in the fifth pic a walking stick tree? It's also called something cabbage.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »
Jonna I love your pics!  I especially LOVE your funky planters:  the chicken and the fish.  Old planters are just the BEST!!  I need to get out and go to some garage sales/farm auctions and see what I can pick up.  Everyone with their pics are giving me the 'bug' to get new stuff and do some more planting.   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 07:04:22 PM »
Pretty pix Jonna.

The no-name plant is Synadenium grantii 'Rubra'8)

It's not a walking stick or a cabbage tree.  :no:
The common name is African Milk Bush.

Be careful not to get the sap on you or in your eyes.  :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:54:10 PM »
Thank you!!   O0  I'll tell my friend too so we both know what it is and the danger.   Unfortunately I seem to have a lot of poisonous plants in my yard, I wonder if tropical plants are more often poisonous?    I don't think the cats will eat it, they haven't eaten the dumb cane or any of the other ones that are bad.  Let's hope.  When I took the cutting, it did bleed a lot of milk and I wrapped it in a newspaper and then left it outside for a few days to dry and harden off.  It sprouted easily.   I think I have it in a good spot, very shallow there with the edge of an enormous rock about 8" underground so there is good drainage and it will get plenty of sun and water.  I'd kind of like for it to be a fairly tall bush, that would be a good spot for that.   You're the bomb Joyce!!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Your garden is a paradise, Jonna!  You've got the touch.  I love the pots too.  Ditto LuAnn!  The pleco is lucky to live in your beautiful pond.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:51:10 PM »
i love the Heliconia!  o(:-)

I've had mixed luck with gingers, heliconias, and birds of paradise. We get one too many cold days here. :(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"