Author Topic: After 11 yrs, string algae is kicking my butt Please help  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
After 11 yrs, string algae is kicking my butt Please help
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:59:46 AM »
I have tried and tried.  Mechanical removal, peroxide, koi clay, barley straw, yadda yadda yadda.

I have a lovely, clear pond to 4' deep, but it is coated with huge globs of SA.  I actually have to drag it off the surface daily.  Lots of it!  That is bad.  But the worst is that I have lost almost every single fish I have.  Many were Becky's (earthborne) wakin (seriously exp[ensive), and even my gorgeous 10 year old shubs.  I know it is because of all the SA that I can't remove in fall that rots over winter.  Though I can get into the pond part of the year (need chest waders all but July), I just am losing this battle utterly. 

I did get a container of PP and treated my small turtle pond (no turts or fish in there now).  It didn't seem to kill it all that well.

I have lilies in my big pond (about 4k gallons).  They are being choked out by the SA, and desperately in need of dividing and repotting anyway.  I could pull them all, trim and divide, bleach the tubs to kill the SA on them, and repot.  As there are only 4 little feral feeder goldfish in the pond, I would be okay with any treatment that would kill the algae.  I know this sounds extreme, but I have no lily blooms at all and no fish to speak of this summer, just crystal clear water full of string.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc??

Thanks!

Offline Jennie in MT

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: After 11 yrs, string algae is kicking my butt Please help
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:17:17 PM »
Adding some specs:

BD with vortex chamber> UV (not in use this year) > upflow barrel filter > stock tank with barley straw > waterfall to aerate. also  Skimmer > 50 gal TT > small falls and return stream.

I turn the total volume of the pond over every 1.5 to 2 hours

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
I am so sorry.  I found shade makes a huge difference.  id think your pads would be enough!  Can you add more?  Also though I am no expert i have read here many times that it will pass. :'(

PS: we miss you.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:24:38 PM »
Honestly, I don't know if anybody really knows how it comes or how it goes. I too have had problems in the past but just a bit since. I've too tried barley straw and mostly treat it once with an algae killer and then water changes and lots of oxygen. Of and scoop, scoop, and filter filter filter.  I used to use Koi Clay but couldn't really identify whether it did good or not. But my pond is small and shallow so I can handle it easily to scoop and or get in if need be. So unfortunately, what works for me probably won't work for you. It must be so frustrating.

Offline Jennie in MT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
The first few years I was content to just battle it and be patient.  But after 2 major fish losses, I am now very   >:(-

I have always tried not to add chemicals to the pond but this is so outter limits.  The last 2 summers (short and precious here in Montana) have effectively been ruined by this stuff.  As I have such great cured water, I would hate to drain and scrub and refill, but I am alllllmost to that point.

Before I go there, I think I will check out some sort of algaecide...which brings me back to chemicals...

Shade is not really an option.  It takes my pond until July to warm up enough to even get in to do maintenance.

BTW Jerry, thanks for missin me!

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 01:42:25 PM »
I had it horribly bad this year too. Then the fish dug up a newly potted plant & the fert. caused the water to go kinda green. I didn't use the uv this year & I guess the green water killed the string algae off.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 02:57:13 PM »
Bad year for it on the waterfall but I always battle it on that.  Not so much in the pond but if I dont pull it daily from the falls, the water just slides down the stirng :)

tink

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »
Hi Jennie...I was thinking about you the other day.

I don't have a clue how to get rid of the string algae.  I had it one year in the smallest tank.  The water was really clear.  I just kept pulling it and it didn't get out of hand.  I drain that tank in the fall and it didn't come back the next spring when I refilled it.

Good luck on getting rid of the stuff.

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:40:57 PM »
Do you have a test kit to test for Nitrates or phosphates?
You did not mention if you have any plants that derive their nutrients from the water. The more plants of this type the less nutrients that will be available for any form of algae. Normally string algae thrives in cold water before ponds in northern climates can support Water hyacinth or water lettuce. The way I get around this is to add Watercress to my filter falls or any place water is flowing. It thrives in cool water sucks up a tremendous amount of nutrients and is easy to control even with it's rapid growth rate. It's available in youir grocery store for 1.50 per bunch just place it under any small rocks to keep it in place and it will root in less than a week. Don't be alarmed when it starts to wilt the first couple of days it will perk back up.
Another cool weather option is water celery but you will have to purchase that from a pond supply store and it's roots are somewhat invasive and does not grow quite as fast. I hope this helps.

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »
String algae is awful. I feel for you. I only had it one year a while back but was aghast at the amount of the stuff and the speed at which it multiplied. It bound up my plants like a green wool blanket. My pond at that time of year was still in the shade of the house -- string algae isn't a factor of sunlight like other algae. I used sodium percarbonate which works sorta OK (can spike pH levels to a dangerous 11) but it will come back until the cause is treated. I swear it came in on a plant I had purchased a few weeks prior. (Someone sent me a tropical lily this year with string algae on it and I refused to put it in my lily pond.) Excess nutrients are the key, I believe. Once I improved my filtration system I never had it again. I don't have plants in my koi pond any more but water hyacinth did a pretty good job of sucking up excess nutrients.

Do you have a water test kit?

String algae doesn't kill fish but it uses up oxygen at night (as all plants do) so if you have enough of it, your fish can be robbed of air. Blast the air stones at night.

Please think twice about using algaecides as they can be very toxic to fish. (Most even say that in fine print on the back even though the front of the label shows fish swimming in a clear pond.) I had a few fish with chemical burns from the stuff -- their scales turn black as if they've been dropped in soot. BTW, potassium permanganate, which I use weekly in koi pond, has no effect on string algae.

Good luck finding a solution. I know how frustrating that wretched stuff is.

Offline Jennie in MT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:12:08 PM »
HI everyone and thanks for replying.  It is nice to be back among the 'wet folk'.

Sue...so what were you thinking about me??  LOL  Wishing you were here having a wobbly pop in my 70 degree weather??  Well, I wish you were too!  Bet it is hot there in TX!

Frog, I do have a test kit, but had not thought to use it.  My water is very hard and my pH is usually very high but stable. My bottom is clean and I have always kept my pond understocked and not overfed.  The SA does grow so fast in spring that it is smothering the lilies I have.  I grow several types of rushes along the edges and in my TT stream but those are all that I grow in the pond.  Thanks for the reminder about Cress.

Thorny, I am sure that I got this string algae from a purchase of the rushes mentioned above.   I am not having the fish kill during summer for loss of O2.  Once the weather cools in fall, the string continues to grow and it is too cold to get in to remove it.  Though I do have a bottom drain to keep any mulm from forming, the SA grows so rapidly even after my weather cools that I believe that its breakdown over winter is what is killing my fish.  At this time, I have way excess filtration for my pond volume.  I tried very hard not to overstock.  As there are just maybe 4-5 fingerling feeder goldfish remaining in this nearly 4,000 gal puddle, I feel that this may be the time to "fish or cut bait".  Until this is dealt with, I am at an impasse.  I am not willing to lose one more precious and expensive swimmer or one more day of pond enjoyment to this scurge.

As an aside, we can sure use your prayers today.  Our 5 year-old Pekingese was diagnosed with leukemia last week.  After watching him struggle for 8 days, I sent Boomer to the Bridge to wait for me.  The vet came out to the car and I was able to stay with my little guy through the end.  As a nurse and a 'Dog Mom' it just reinforces the thought "Cancer Sucks" for me over again.

Peace be with you all this night....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 10:14:34 PM by Jennie in MT »

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »
Jennie, I first want to say I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I know it's a hard thing to do we all become so attached.
I wanted to post this testimonal about watercress from another pond forum. The poster makes a good point that water suppliers sometimes add phosphates to the water supply so it does not matter if you have any fish or lots of fish, if that is the case, it will fuel algae growth. I did not inclue the picture. Good luck,Tom

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:59:09 PM by frogman3 »

Offline Jennie in MT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »
Frog, I have tried the cress in the past.  It is difficult for me to obtain in rural MT, but I can get it (special order).  I revamped the pond a few yrs ago and now have a larger area to plant it.  Right now, there is so much algae that I must deal with that before putting in the cress.  It would just be smothered.  Thanks for reminding me.

Offline misstammy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
I had luck with SAB- string algae buster. You will need to clean up the dead stuff.

Offline Jennie in MT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 11:07:56 AM »
This is what I went for......  I am prepared to get in and remove all the debris I can scoop out.  Once I get it out, then I will do a partial change and set up the cress.....
http://www.gardenponds.com/product1252.html

Offline ThornyGardener

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »
That's 50% sodium percarbonate and fillers (same stuff as Oxyclean). You can get 100% sodium percarbonate from the ChemistryStore.com 2# for $5.50 (that's all you'll need). If you are that overwhelmed with the SA, try taking every living thing out of the pond -- plants and fish -- and use more than recommended for with fish. At this level, your water will turn to something jello like. for several hours. (Keep the fish out for a day.) Buh bye SA.

I have pekes too. What a cutie pie. So sorry for your loss.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »
Be very sure of any chemical you add to your pond. I know of an experienced show Koi person who killed his whole tribe with PP. I'm not saying not to use any of it. Just saying to be sure of your dose and how it needs to be handled.

I buy watercress off the fresh vegetable counter at the grocery store. I put it in water until it roots and then stick it in the pond between the rocks.

Offline Jennie in MT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 02:15:17 PM »
Thanks Esther.  When I first came online in 1999 I discovered Chuck Rush's site called Pond Rushes.  He has a  mantra that I have always valued very highly:

Quoting from the Gospel of Chuck, Chapter 2 verse 1, "Put not those things into the pond that you cannot easily remove, lest it be of need most dire. For verily I say unto you those things will gather together in abundance and there will be great gnashing of teeth."

In short, if you can't get it out, don't put it in!  LOL  I love his sense of humor and also his wisdom and willingness to share it. 

At this point, I am past the point of concern and this is ruining my summer, killing my fish and choking my lilies (for the 2nd or 3rd summer in a row) and it is the only thing I have left to try.  As it is, there is little to lose.  The lilies are choked out, the only fish left are a few small cull survivors, so it is time to roll the dice....

Offline ThornyGardener

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »
Thanks for that site, Jennie. Just learned about the existence of "sacrificial anodes" for submersible pumps. Cool.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"