Author Topic: Trade Terestrial Plants or Heirloom Garden Vegetable Seeds for Pond Plants  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Crisco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone,

This forum is neat and I have already learned lots over the past few days I have been reading.

I am new to the board and recently installed first pond here in eastern Pennsylvania and have no pond plants yet.  It is a small pond with a Pondmaster 190 and right now only contains cheap feeder goldfish, 4 large tadpoles and a bunch of snails.  I am not a big fish person but will probably end up with a few Koi/ other neat fish from someone who has too many fish in his big pond right now. I want this pond to be more of a natural pond with frogs, newts, fish etc. (I know the adults of each of these will eat the eggs of the others so I know I have lots to learn about this). I have lots of landscape plants some of which are now spread around the outside of the pond such as Chameleon plant, Sedum Sarmentosum known as ‘Yellow Moss’ or "String Sedum", Sedum 'Dragons Blood Red', Russian Sage, Salvia, ornamental grasses and some Day Lilies. I also have lots of garden vegetable seeds (big heirloom tomatoes and heirloom melons are my big thing) and would gladly trade them for pond plants.  I have been researching different oxygenators, floaters and marginals and have a few pond plants I think I may like and want to learn more about.  If they are good choices and not extremely invasive and are not known as big filter cloggers, I plan to add them to the pond. 

They are:
Spiral Rush
Parrot Feather
Anacharis
Water Hyacinth
Hardy Pitcher Plants

Any tips, advice or info. about the above plants or pond set up and care in general?  Any other plant or plant variety suggestions?

Would anybody be interested in trading?  I will also outright buy too.

Chris

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Maybe if you post some pics it would help?

BTW Water Hyacinth is considered very invasive, but since you are in Pennsylvania it will probably just die over the winter for you unless you keep one in a bucket of dirty water and one goldfish.

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Crisco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Here is a photo of the pond.  Thanks Greenthumbnails for letting me know the invasiveness of water hyacinth.  I know that since this is a smaller pond I will be removing plants as they spread and figured the hyacinths would be one of the easier types to remove compared to the oxygenators that are hard to see.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"