Author Topic: Lotus... your favortie.. most prolific.. biggest . is there really a dwarf....  (Read 1672 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I started with ms perrys which I thought and named a MONSTER, it was huge.. I then tried momo botton as it was suppose to be dwarf, well maybe I dont know what a dwarf is but in the photo below you can see she is almost 5 ft tall and not at all what I would call a dwarf :)... Her blooms are double and very pretty.. she is a good bloomer but not nearly as prolific for me as Russian Red is.  In the picture I have just moved red to a new pond this year and keep only a small start and she already has traveled the lenght of the 8 ft pond and put up buds in 3 different spots.  Momo is just plugging along with no buds .  Baby doll is free to roam in a half whiskey barrel in the ground and it is also very prolific.. She has 14 blooms down in there now.  She is the smallest I have had .  Although probalby not my favorite bloom color its gotta be my all around favorite since it blooms like a mad dog allll summer long every year.

Whats your favs and best performers.

Tink

Offline tinkster

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
baby doll....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 12:26:19 PM by tinkster »

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Breathtaking. I love your lotus.

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
BEAUTIFUL! Still no arials on mine, just floaters. :(

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Tink, lotus come in different sizes. Small, medium, large and dwarf or Chinese bowl.
Most of what I have are Chinese bowl as  I like the small ones.

Your Russian Red is a caspicium. Provenance on that, it came from mouth of Volga
River in Russia. I think  Walter Pagels brought seeds back with him from a trip there,
years ago.

Baby doll would be considered small lotus. 

Ones like Bangkok, Shiroman, Dairenien, caspiciuim  -- those are considered large.

Ms. Perry Slocum is considered medium.

Of course, lots of size depends on size of pot, is it in warm weather, in full sun and
of course fertilizer. 

May I say that yours are extremely healthy looking, lush and green.

If you want small, you need some of my Chinese bowl. I even have one  that is dwarf
Chinese bowl -- might get 12" high, that's all.  Next spring, we'll fix you and small lotuses!!

Marie

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
 I already got 3 from you this year and one from frank.. all bowls... which by the way are all arial and full now.. just no blooms... I hope some of them bloom this year but we will not be setting me up with more lotus hehehe. :)

tink

Offline tugo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
Tink, I have several Nucifera and komarovii and only one Nucifera is on the way to bloom as my first. So you imagine, for me it is the best lotus of the world:))
All yours are so beautiful and healthy. Wish in future I be also in the situation to look for an "even" better one.
Thanks for showing all those beauties.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
Very nice Tink ! The lotus;s look Great !

bonnie

Offline Danny

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
Tink,

Beautiful lotuses, congratulations!  What are your secret?  Tubers that you gave me last year still never bloom yet.  Do you grow them in a container or pond?
I only have unknown pink lotus bloom.  All other kinds, never bloom in containers.

Danny

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
Tink, I've always been kinda jealous of you and your lotus. You are, IMHO, a master lotus grower. O0 I need you to teach me how you do it. Please. :worship: :worship:
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
why thank you scott for the compliment but I know nothing.  I believe the one thingy that makes the biggest difference in my lotus now from back when I started is the room I give them.  baby doll is in the smallest container and she has a whiskey barrell.  The others have ponds with LOTS of room.  No telling what they would do in ponds with someone that really knew what to do with them.

tink

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"