Author Topic: I guess this qualifies as 'terrestrial gardening'  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I guess this qualifies as 'terrestrial gardening'
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:07:44 PM »
'For amber waves of grain'---the wheat is really turning and thought some of you who don't get to see wheat up close would enjoy taking a look... :)

I love plucking off the heads and rolling it in my hand and popping the kernels in my mouth and chewing them.  They are really good right now, but later on when it dries down they are too hard and crunchy..yuck.   ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I guess this qualifies as 'terrestrial gardening'
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »
Thanks!! Very pretty.
zone 5b

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
Your right we don't get to see that in this part of the world. Thanks
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 08:54:22 PM »
Cool!  How much have you planted there?  I like what you can do to them now.  Sounds very tasty.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:00:32 PM »
Nothing as graceful as a shaft of wheat.  It is used as a symbol everywhere! o(:-)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:35:45 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
Harvest started about the 20th here.  About a week later than normal.  Harvest will not be finished by July 4th this year.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »
Wheat harvest started this week here, we will be done tomorrow.  Started baling straw already, mostly round bales.  Some square bales for the barn lofts.  We probably grow around 40 acres of wheat--I'm guessing here, since DH is in the shower and I'm upstairs, but the rest is in hay, soy beans, and corn.  It has been hot and dry here so harvest came earlier than most years.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »
The first year we moved back to Indiana my wife grabbed probably 10 wheat thingies,. She put them into a fabulous stone vase. 6 and a half years later the wheat looks just the same. Nice display.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 05:54:09 AM »
Yes, the 'shafts' are already dried so they practically keep forever.  Bearded wheat looks really neat in an arrangement with dried flowers along with grain sorghum that DH put in filter strips for wild birds...it's awesome!  I was trying to post a link for you to see what grain sorghum looked like, but couldn't get it to work... :P  Go to Google and type in grain sorghum images --  it's the one for broomcorn sorghum.  They make the best arrangements and last forever. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:08:46 AM by Kittyzee »
LuAnn

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »
Ahhhh, to live out in the country....  I have some wheat seeds sold to me as Black Eagle Wheat.  I like planting some mixed in with my country garden.  My main problem is that I sometimes forget where I planted it and as it starts to grow I pull it out thinking it is a weed.....  It also looks good dried in flower arrangements.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 01:20:39 PM »
Yes Mikey, wheat looks a lot like grass when it's coming up.  A lot of times that 'cat grass' for cats to eat greens is actually wheat or oats just sprouted in a cup!  If mine didn't eat it and then barf it up, I'd grow my own for them.... ::)
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"