Author Topic: Question for Skippy users  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Question for Skippy users
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:13 AM »
My question is in reference to this link:  http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofil12.jpg 

It appears from the photo in the link above that the discharge pipes are perhaps an inch or so off the bottom.  I was planning on having my water discharge about 4 or 5 inches off the bottom, closer to my bottom grate holding my biofilter media.

Your thoughts?

Additional info: I have the 150 gallon RubberMaid stock tank.  I'm not sure of the size of the one in the link but it looks smaller.  My discharge lines are 2" pvc.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mailman221

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Skippy users
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 03:15:15 PM »
Mike, should be no problem. I have had a "Skippy" for several years. A few inches off the bottom is good. Be sure you have a bottom drain with a shut-off that you can open once a week to pull out any sediment in the bottom. I usually do it when I'm doing a water change. And don't believe that it never needs cleaning! Mine works well on a once a year fall cleaning and an occasional draindown flush. I have my media in bags and shake them a tub of pond water. Depending on the media and the pond ( fish load, plantings), you may have clean more often. Rule of thumb- when you get about 1/4 of crud on media or waterfall seems slower - time to clean!

Ed

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Question for Skippy users
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:54:30 AM »
I used to rinse in pond water.  A real mess.  I figured with 2400 gallons in the pond there ought to be plenty of bacteria.  Mikey once concured.  I don't bother now.  I just use a hose and rinse them pretty good.  Problems?  NONE at all.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"