Author Topic: Who plants Dahlia's  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Who plants Dahlia's
« on: April 11, 2007, 09:11:29 PM »
I bought several varities the other night.  One of my customers brought cuttings in last year and would always have one on her table.  It was a dinner plate size, it was huge.

Here's a list of what I bought

Cactus Dahlia:

Star Elite
Friquolet
Veritable
Vuurvogel
Purple Gem

Some labled decorative dahlias:

One pack says, Unforgetable  1 lucky number, 1 lavendar perfection, 1 smokey
Then, Arabian Night
Then, this one pack just says 6 mixed

Along with them I picked two unusual looking plant bulbs up, one is Arum Italicum orange beauty, (Candle Flower)
and
Eucomis bicolor  (Pineapple Lily)

Package says I can start these two inside, guess I'll be playing in the greenhouse tomorrow.

I hope this will add some color here and there around the pond and yard.

Kim
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:24:08 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Who plants Dahlia's
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:32:51 PM »
Arum Italicum orange beauty, (Candle Flower)

I have read that it is invasive, does anyone have this plant.  It also says it can be a house plant, so I may just put it in a pot and leave it there.

Kim

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 06:26:24 AM »
I grew some a few years back Kim. Very showy.

I did not realise that they were one of these 'stupid' plants that can't support their own weight. Without each individual plant being staked up, they all just plopped over and lay on the ground. Quite digusted with their performance I was. Have been thinking of trying the dwarf varieties - they will have less gravity to endure.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 08:08:02 AM »
I hadn't thought about that.  I'll have to come up with something, I think I have and idea that will work though.  I'll have to take a pic of it later on dodgeing the raindrops.

Kim

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:47:01 AM »
There is a huge Dahlia grower here, Swan Island Dahlias, but I have not grown many because I do not want to have to lift them every winter. I did break down and buy two for my formal garden on the side of the house but if they don't make it through winter they are toast. I'm not lifting.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 07:32:15 PM »
My daughter planted a dahlia seed when she was 3 years old in Sunday School, and that silly thing survived outside for at least 7 or 8 years with no attention at all! It finally succumbed a few years after we built a deck that shaded it too much. I'm sure not all of them are this tough though.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline brandon2839

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2024, 11:50:59 AM »
Gain experience in a specific field by working under the guidance of experienced professionals. Often requires a willingness to learn and a proactive attitude. this guide

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"