Author Topic: Indiana bananas  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Indiana bananas
« on: August 28, 2010, 06:08:44 PM »
Our son loves to grow tropical plants.  He has been leaving his bananas in the ground for several years now, zone 5b.  He usually cuts them off and mulches heavily.  Last fall he decided to cut the leaves off, put fence up around them and fill with leaves.  His goal was to get a bloom.
I didn't think it would work.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana bananas
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »
Amazing!  A true gardener always attempts to stretch the limits of their hardiness growing zone.   {:-P;; O0
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:40:35 AM »
You mean, not only will we be eating Indiana melons, but Indiana bananas too!?  :D  That's awesome! 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:06:36 AM »
I am always amazed that intrepid gardners manage to grow bananas in places like NY, MS, and Indiana.  What pluck!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:49:55 AM »
I think he enjoys proving me wrong when I tell him "that won't work in Indiana".  He has a very nice cactus garden too!

LuAnn, I love the Indiana melons, especially the cantaloupe.  They are grown "down south".  We have tried to grow them but they're just not as good.  Sadly, they are gone now from all the road side markets.........I sure ate my share of them this summer, nothing better than melon and cottage cheese for lunch.  Now its tomatoes and cottage cheese.  Indiana tomatoes are the best too.  Red Gold tomatoes are grown in Indiana!

Karen

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:04:57 AM »
I know Karen, I LOVE Indiana cantaloupe!  Although, I've gotten some very good ones in my garden this year too...and sadly, they are disappearing here too along with the vidalia onions.... :-\   

Nothing spurs a child on more than telling them 'no', or that it won't work... lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 05:03:20 PM »
 @O@  That is amazing!  Good for your son.  There's a good lesson for us all here.  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"